Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:07:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCraftStudio: game-making for gamers (real-time collaborative!)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: CraftStudio: game-making for gamers (real-time collaborative!)  (Read 67676 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2012, 03:57:38 PM »

Looks awesome dude, great work. Twenty euros seems a bit excessive (and that's the discounted price?), but it's your thing, so all the best! Smiley

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »

Looks awesome dude, great work. Twenty euros seems a bit excessive (and that's the discounted price?), but it's your thing, so all the best! Smiley

It's 15.

Glad to see this got off the ground! Keep working on it. It'll be great to see some awesome user-generated content, too. Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2012, 04:43:11 PM »

oh whoops, i meant 20 aussie dollars. Tongue

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2012, 07:08:01 PM »

Yeah pricing CraftStudio was kind of complicated... On the one hand, if you think of it as a game, it's pricier than most indie games, but if you look at it like a gamedev platform (which you could even make money off) then you could say it's very cheap...

So, I tried to think of a price that I felt was fair considering the work involved and the long term goals of the platform (networked multiplayer, physics engine, integrated publishing platform, etc.) while still being affordable. I priced it based on the final result (as I see it) and then took 50% off for alpha.

Hopefully I'm not shooting myself in the foot with this one but well, good news is I get to adjust things depending on how it goes Smiley.

Thanks for the honest feedback!

Glad to see this got off the ground! Keep working on it. It'll be great to see some awesome user-generated content, too. Smiley

Yep! There's quite a bit of activity on the community forums so it's mostly models and maps since scripting just got released!

Cerebrick Games are working on a RPG: http://cerebrickgamestudios.frostbitenetworks.com/ (some videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/micahvincent1/videos)

talic did some very cute characters: http://craftstudioforums.net/index.php?threads/first-steps-in-crafstudio-and-pixel-art.174/

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2012, 08:01:29 PM »

Yeh that's very true, its not quite a game, not quite an application, but somewhere in between, so I understand where your decision comes from. I guess you want to be careful with changing the price later, if early adopters pay 15 euro for it, and then later you reduce the price to 5 euros then you might annoy a lot of people. You can go the other way though, charge 5euro now, then in 6 months up the price, or charge a 20euro license to publish games commercially, or whatever.

But totally up to u, it's still a great looking project, and when I've got the first moonman alpha done, i'll be sure to buy a copy and have a play. I love building stuff. :D

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2012, 11:38:59 AM »

@3DReMix and a bunch of friends (including my buddy Xael and my lovely girlfriend Rosalie Smiley) have made a game with CraftStudio over the past week called:

FoodyFast Coding

They didn't tell me about it until they released it today... It turns out you play as me, Elisée, working on CraftStudio :D. You must collect chopped bacon and shandy (some of my favorite food) and avoid nasty vegetables to fill your energy meter and then spend it at the computer to write code for CraftStudio.

The visuals are insanely cool and it's pretty fun. What's even cooler is they are giving away some Premium keys to the 5 first people to win by scoring maximum points.

You can

and download the game!

There is so much cool stuff happening around CraftStudio lately, I'm really happy to have reached a point where games can be made with it. I'm working fiercely to improve it. I post all the new release changelogs on my blog so be sure to check it out.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »

Peter Griffin's image! Yay!

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »

Is there actual picture in picture capability in the engine or is that editing done for the YouTube video?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »

It's just raw gameplay footage so yes, actual picture in picture. You can have multiple cameras and define their viewports so you get splitscreen and such.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:34:45 PM by elisee » Logged

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2012, 05:13:20 AM »

Cool. Splitscreen was exactly what I was thinking. Grin

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2012, 02:01:29 PM »

This week I've been working on an update which will feature lots of improvements all around. I hoped to release it this week-end but there's still quite a bit to be done so it'll probably have to wait until early next week.

Copy / paste support with selection and copying from / to external programs

Tile set reuse so you can make many levels with the same look or switch between different looks for the same level

Line numbers in script editor

Shiny social icons on the home pane

Plus the usual assortments of bugfixes: no more jumpy transform handles when lagging in models or scenes!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »

Great to see progress. I'm sure code folding would be really appreciated by a lot of users. Anyway, it's looking pretty great so far!

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2012, 02:53:10 PM »

So last week I've finally started doing some prototyping on Project Waffle, the dungeon crawler Xael and I are making with CraftStudio. For now I'm just laying out the gameplay basics with temporary assets.

Yesterday I released CraftStudio Alpha 0.1.4.0 with raycasting functions, a revamp of the scripting API with Vector3, Plane and Ray classes and lots of new keyboard shortcuts (yay increased productivity!)

Having introduced breaking changes in the scripting API, I decided to add a versioning scheme so people can switch to the newer API only when they're ready.

Tomorrow morning, I'll be joined by @Matthtz. He'll be doing a 2-month internship at Sparklin Labs (well, it's just my flat really Roll Eyes). I'm excited to have someone work with me on a day-to-day basis again, plus he's a good friend of mine. We'll be working together on the Mac and Linux ports of CraftStudio!

I've finally gotten around to do some work on a sample project for NuclearWinter, the UI library I created for CraftStudio. It shows off a bunch of widgets and stuff. This is the intro screen:

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 03:03:16 PM by elisee » Logged

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »

I just released CraftStudio 0.1.10.0, a major update adding a server manager interface, a much improved workflow for joining and creating projects, a public projects browser, a new welcome popup and more.

I think it's a huge step forward towards making CraftStudio truly easy to pick up and fun. The live project list should help foster collaboration & discovery.

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2012, 02:07:45 AM »

I've starting working on a Minecraft model exporter last night. Fought with the rotations for a while but now static models are working!

The exporter generates a ModelSomething.java class and it can be compiled in by using the Minecraft Coder Pack.

Let me introduce...

a Star Wars AT-AT in Minecraft!

Model made by @Matthtz

Album with various screenshots of the work in progress: http://imgur.com/a/WKkR8

Today I'll start tackling animations and if it works well enough, it should be in the next update!

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2012, 02:15:00 AM »

I've starting working on a Minecraft model exporter last night. Fought with the rotations for a while but now static models are working!

The exporter generates a ModelSomething.java class and it can be compiled in by using the Minecraft Coder Pack.

Let me introduce...

a Star Wars AT-AT in Minecraft!

Model made by @Matthtz

Album with various screenshots of the work in progress: http://imgur.com/a/WKkR8

Today I'll start tackling animations and if it works well enough, it should be in the next update!
Pardon my French.
But HOLY FUCKING SHIT RUN THE OTHER WAY.
ghasts are bad enough for Christs sake!

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2012, 06:48:14 AM »

I kinda forgot to update this log over the past few weeks. Sorry guys! Sad

Here's a recap of what happened recently in the land of CraftStudio:

• The Minecraft exporter got a release! Also transform handle improvements, draggable scrollbars, asset preview autofit, project list performance improvements...
  • I ran a free premium week-end for Ludum Dare and Matthew and I released a new version with one-click game packaging, model block mirroring, a new API to create game objects at run-time, you can now see other people's carets in scripts in real-time, etc.
  • We made a game for Ludum Dare and I released a new version featuring instant project export with caching, memory leak fixes and new scripting features.

Our Ludum Dare entry was made in collaboration with a dozen people (!), it's called Porté par le Vent (which is French for "Carried by the wind") and we had a blast making it. You can play it now or

Oh and @Crealinkarts made this amazing Iron Man model (timelapse video)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:59:24 AM by elisee » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2012, 08:32:22 AM »

Hey, I had an idea for texture painting. If I recall, currently you have to paint on the UV layout of the blocks - would it be possbile to do projection painting like in Blender, where you could paint directly on the 3D models? That would probably help texturing out. Forgive me if it's already implemented.

P.S. That Iron Man is awesome.

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2012, 08:41:26 AM »

Hey, I had an idea for texture painting. If I recall, currently you have to paint on the UV layout of the blocks - would it be possbile to do projection painting like in Blender, where you could paint directly on the 3D models? That would probably help texturing out. Forgive me if it's already implemented.

P.S. That Iron Man is awesome.

It's not yet implemented but planned for later. It'll be a cool enhancement indeed.

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2012, 02:06:57 PM »

Hey everyone!

I'm very happy to announce...

CraftStudio is now available for Mac!

This is the very first version so it might have some weird bugs, my apologies in advance!

To run it, you'll need the Mono runtime from http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html (Pick “stable Mac OS X” and then “runtime”)

And then download and install this package: http://craftstud.io/files/OSX/CraftStudio.pkg

For more details, check out this blog post I wrote.

Next up is Visual Scripting which I've already started work on. You might want to check out this work-in-progress video:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic