Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:20:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCraftStudio: game-making for gamers (real-time collaborative!)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Author Topic: CraftStudio: game-making for gamers (real-time collaborative!)  (Read 67671 times)
elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »

Here's a bunch of news in no particular order!

I added initial sound support last week-end.

and we took part in an awesome game jam.

is the result!

pixelboy and Canardu57 started a fighting game in celebration for Minecon called CraftFighter and a bunch of other CraftStudioers are helping out. It'll be playable for the first time at the CraftStudio booth which I'll be holding, hope to see some of you there on November 24-25! Smiley

I ordered 2 two-meter-high roll ups and 10 000 flyers for Minecon. They look awesome! (More photos here)

I did a bit of optimization work and got some frustum culling working. CraftStudio games are now much smoother!

I implemented an "online players" counter and we got up to 33 players online. This is what it looks like:

For more regular news (I tend to forgot to post here every now and then), be sure to check out the blog, and follow me on Twitter, on Facebook or Google+!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2012, 02:41:11 PM »

cool!

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »

It's like your "engine" if I can call it engine is like the Construct2 of 3D-basic modelled-games?

I only think that because of the visual scripting Tongue
elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2012, 06:17:35 PM »

Yeah you could say that, but CraftStudio is multiplayer too (aka. you can build games together in real-time), which makes it very different from other game-making tools.

It's like an IRC server except each room lets you edit a model, map, script or scene together.

For instance, between 10-15 people took part in making Doomsday Carrot Rampage. Here's the recording of our game jam.

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2012, 09:46:12 AM »

Yeah you could say that, but CraftStudio is multiplayer too (aka. you can build games together in real-time), which makes it very different from other game-making tools.

It's like an IRC server except each room lets you edit a model, map, script or scene together.

For instance, between 10-15 people took part in making Doomsday Carrot Rampage. Here's the recording of our game jam.

Looks original and a good idea but I feel like this is not a serious game engine, I don't know why but I feel like this.

Anyways it should be fun to make a game with your team seeing what you do and helping you at the same time, this part is what I do like more of CraftStudio.
elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2012, 10:25:32 AM »

Looks original and a good idea but I feel like this is not a serious game engine, I don't know why but I feel like this.

Anyways it should be fun to make a game with your team seeing what you do and helping you at the same time, this part is what I do like more of CraftStudio.

I suspect it's the blocky/pixely style along with the game-like interface that might make you feel that way. They are part of the core premise though: making game-making fun and accessible to all.

I do have a cleaner interface redesign in the works though. (And in the very long term, I would love to have a more "pro"-oriented version with regular modeling features and stuff like that, but that's mostly a wild dream for now)

antoniodamala
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2012, 05:15:16 PM »

This is great, gonna check it tomorrow! :D
elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2012, 02:23:40 AM »

This is great, gonna check it tomorrow! :D

Cool, let me know what you think! Smiley

Boud
Level 0

They try to kill ya everytime...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2012, 02:55:31 AM »

Hey saw you at the first pitch my game (Paris) back then, glad to see things taking shape and games being made. I have to check this out !
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2012, 08:09:57 AM »

As a game development tool, I don't really see myself using this (I actually like all the techy programming stuff for some reason), but as a game in itself, I think I could have a lot of fun collaborating with random people online. Good work, and I look forward to seeing more of this.
elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2012, 10:16:13 AM »

Hey saw you at the first pitch my game (Paris) back then, glad to see things taking shape and games being made. I have to check this out !

Oh hey! Smiley Hope you liked my presentation back then. CraftStudio sure has come a long way since then!

As a game development tool, I don't really see myself using this (I actually like all the techy programming stuff for some reason), but as a game in itself, I think I could have a lot of fun collaborating with random people online. Good work, and I look forward to seeing more of this.

Yup, I totally see the appeal of doing engine work and making it all by yourself. Once you do it, the freedom you get and sense of accomplishment is pretty sweet and hard to give up.

Like you said though, the multiplayer game-making experience is pretty awesome (I know I'm biased having made it myself and all, but seriously, it IS fun). I've found it to be especially awesome for short game jams like Ludum Dare: meet with your teammates on the server, brainstorm in a collaborative document / chat together, then start building. Seeing what everyone is doing come together bit by bit every time you hit F5 to start the game feels very empowering Smiley
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:31:22 PM by elisee » Logged

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2013, 10:56:11 AM »

It's been a while, hasn't it?

CraftFighter made with CraftStudio by Cubix Games has been released and is being very well received in the Minecraft community Smiley: http://www.cubixgames.com/craftfighter/

I just uploaded a video tutorial for moving around a character with visual scripting:

EDIT: Oh right, the initial version of visual scripting is out! It's not finished but it works!

Back in December the French CraftStudio community made Beach, please!, a 72h Ludum Dare jam entry: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-25/?action=preview&uid=6780

Last night I started replacing the welcome message + my face with a list of games you can download & play directly from within CraftStudio:

This is quite exciting as it paves the way for CraftStudio as a gaming platform: player profiles, multiplayer, high scores, etc. FUN TIMES AHEAD! My Word!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 01:43:40 PM by elisee » Logged

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »

Impressive stuff! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2013, 05:01:51 PM »

I spent the last couple of days building a WebGL model viewer for CraftStudio using Three.JS and I just uploaded a live demo if you want to try it out:

Should work great in both Chrome and Firefox.

Paving the way for a future Web player for CraftStudio games... Smiley

Uykered
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »

While CraftFighter was pretty basic, it felt like a normal standalone game which is cool. I'll have to try this software out and see its possibilities/limitations.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:00:58 PM by alastair » Logged
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2013, 06:48:53 PM »

CraftFighter made me wonder, will this have online multiplayer support?

(As in for the games)

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »

CraftFighter made me wonder, will this have online multiplayer support?

(As in for the games)

Yes, it's one of the major items left of my to-do list before "1.0", along with integrating a physics engine... and one of the most exciting too Smiley

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2013, 07:35:32 AM »

You know and are capable of too much elisee  Who, Me?

Which is good

Uykered
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »

Could you design a huge free-roaming world in this, such as like Skyrim and GTA etc? (Where's there no transitions between areas.) Is that what is meant on the site by the "Create infinite maps out of various shapes"?
elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2013, 08:01:05 PM »

Could you design a huge free-roaming world in this, such as like Skyrim and GTA etc? (Where's there no transitions between areas.) Is that what is meant on the site by the "Create infinite maps out of various shapes"?

Maps are made out of chunks of 32x32x32 blocks and there is no built-in restriction on the size they can be, so you could definitely have big open environments. Of course CraftStudio is still pretty young and anybody has yet to do very huge open world games with it so you might hit a few roadblocks along the way but it should be possible (and I'll be glad to fix stuff if you hit any issues with the engine itself).

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic