Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:38:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCraftStudio: game-making for gamers (real-time collaborative!)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: CraftStudio: game-making for gamers (real-time collaborative!)  (Read 67677 times)
elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »

I released various updates over the past few days and initial support for creating scenes is now in! (No scripting yet though)

Rosalie and I spent a few hours adding furniture and stuff to a little house to test scenes a bit. I have to admit we both enjoyed this way too much Grin

You can find the scene on the Public Test Project, it's called Market.

Feels a lot like playing The Sims or even Minecraft creative mode only we get to design our own objects and paint our own blocks.

I've also made some progress on turning the new website mockup into an actual website. I'm still using Express JS with Jade for views and Stylus for styling.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:41:11 PM by elisee » Logged

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »

I spent most of today redesigning the look of the user interface. It's pretty much the same layout as before, but the colors are much more vibrant and the thick borders are gone. I think it's much easier on the eye. It's also much more in line with the redesigned website mockup I did last week.

I originally intended to work on the scripting tab user interface but decided to have a go at a full redesign first to avoid investing more time designing elements for the old one.

(Click for full size)

Old / current UI for comparison:

Comments & feedback would be appreciated! Remember this is just a mockup so it's not yet implemented.

EDIT: Updated the mockup with a few tweaks & fixes. Also added the current UI for comparison. I didn't realize just how thick the borders were on the current UI until I compared the two.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:02:10 PM by elisee » Logged

imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2012, 01:13:22 PM »

Looks cleaner. I like it.

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »

Very nice, I'm liking the colors.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2012, 06:54:22 AM »

Still liking this.

Wish I could give some solid feedback, but my video card doesn't support the shading style that's basically required for things to work properly, unfortunately.

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2012, 09:39:59 AM »

Thanks guys!

The new website is mostly ready, I put back in the login / logout logic. I still have to add back the sign up form and tweak stuff some more.

I've spent a few hours working on a mockup for the scripting tab (as always, just an initial idea, what ends up in CraftStudio might be very different)

(Click to enlarge)

The (currently empty) pane on the right will probably contain a library of ready-to-use snippets so you can browse and find a snippet to change a model's animation or make the object move according to user controls, etc. I'm still trying to figure out a good user interface for this.

The snippets could even hide the underlying code by providing "black boxes" where all you have to do is fill in a few fields. So you could make some (simple) behaviors without reading / writing code. And possibly you could reveal the underlying code and edit it if you want.

Scripting in CraftStudio

The idea is that most scripts (all?) will define behaviors to be applied on a Game Object. Basically just like you can add a "Camera", "Model Renderer", "Map Renderer" component to an object in a scene, you'll be able to add one or more "Scripted Behavior" components to your object and select the script to use.

The script can expose a bunch of properties that can be tweaked in the component's settings. So you could have a "Health" script with a configurable "default health" property which would appear as a slider in the component settings. Or a "Bullet" script with properties like "lifetime", "velocity" and "damage".

That means you could use a script without knowing too much about how it works under the hood, which is always good! Particularly if you want to share scripts with other people or projects.

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2012, 06:32:52 AM »

Hey there!

So I had to keep it under wraps for a while, but Thomas Frick and I have finally launched our crowdfunding campaign in order to complete CraftStudio and make the first CraftStudio game! I'm so very excited!

The game will be a sort of dungeon crawler with a twist, and it will help me improve CraftStudio and showcase what can be done with it. There are more details in the video!

Also I released the redesigned website at http://craftstud.io/

Here's a pretty cool artwork Thomas made for the launch:

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2012, 08:09:53 AM »

Game devin': You're doing it right. Smiley

Yeah.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2012, 02:39:26 PM »

Wow! This looks exciting. Can't wait to try it out.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
stef1a
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »

This is sweet. How long have you been working on it? What past projects, if any, have you worked on?
elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »

Thanks guys, glad you like it!

This is sweet. How long have you been working on it? What past projects, if any, have you worked on?

I've been working on CraftStudio full-time for 5 months. Before that I spent 3 years at Creative Patterns (now closed). Among other games, I worked on QuadSmash which I'm very proud of and wished it had been more successful. Other that than I've made countless unreleased half-games and prototypes like Rock Solid Rally or Poonzers.

xfry
Level 0

JavaScripter, C# Developer, The world is realy 2D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2012, 10:11:21 PM »

when i tested craftstudios a few months, i could only felt that it is the perfect tool to teach to make games to people that have not knowledge about of make game development. This month i'll to teach to a boy how can build games, using Craftudio. This is amazing. Congratulation man. Beer!

Success is not the end of your goals ... Be the beginning of your triumph
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2012, 05:57:44 PM »

Oh wow, this looks really fun!  Grin
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »

me likey!

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2012, 03:19:31 AM »

So things are pretty busy right now, here are some news:

• I released version 0.0.14.0 featuring many changes, including configurable controls and shortcut keys. You can also move the camera around with Alt+Left click which means you don't need a mousewheel anymore for editing (draggable scrollbars are still missing though). Full changelog on the forums
  • I released an updated launcher (v0.2.2.0) which allows starting CraftStudio even if the master server can't be reached. Couple this with the "--disable-auth" server switch and you can easily use CraftStudio while offline. You can get it by downloading it from the website.
  • We just reached $6.000 over at IndieGoGo. Considering it's been less than a week and we still have 40 days to go, I'm pretty happy! Thanks to all who contributed already. Please keep spreading the word Smiley

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2012, 08:43:49 AM »

Wow, this is looking incredible!  What a nice idea, nicely implemented.  Keep up the good work sir!

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »

Wow, this is looking incredible!  What a nice idea, nicely implemented.  Keep up the good work sir!

Thank you very much! Smiley

Theophilus
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »

Congratulations on the funding. Deserving project.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2012, 03:39:43 PM »

fkin awesome

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2012, 07:49:56 PM »

Congratulations on the RPS mention!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10