Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:55:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject : Case File
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Project : Case File  (Read 4615 times)
mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2011, 06:22:49 AM »

Hey guys,

I would like to introduce my little game. (well it's more an idea yet)
It is about beeing a detective but without running around the block catching culprits.
You have to analyze files about murder cases. It is supposed to be only reading and finding clues and it is supposed to be very hard.

You can find a detailed description also on the blog:
http://projectcasefile.blogspot.com/

UI Mockup:

(see below for current Screenshot)

Done with Java+lwjgl+slick

Game-Idea with little example:

Disclaimer : English is not my mother tongue! Please allow me to make some mistakes Tongue

After LA Noire was, at least in terms of beeing a detective, a disappointment,
I got to thinking, as an ideal "Solve the murder" game for me would look like without being too easy or completely impossible to implement for me.
The following game is then grown in the recent months, piece by piece in my head.

Basic idea:
You play some kind of analyst for unsolved murder cases.
You get files with various information (witness statements, found evidence, crime scene photos, etc. ..)
Only with this file the case can/must be solved.
Here you have the opportunity to highlight text and photographs and thereby get an inventory object.
(Photos can also end up in the inventory without any mark)
Additionally you can also make your own notes.
Now you can attach these notes/pictures from the inventory to a wall panel according to taste.
(Ordered by protagonists or a timeline of events)
The game does not take you by the hand - the player has to find the clues and filter information for themselves.
The only feedback that the player gets from the game is reduced to 1.working out new clues
and on 2.solving the case at the end.

Here is a very simple example to the game mechanics :
You see a photo: Body in alley. Next to it is a ladder leading to the roof.
This ladder is marked by the player on the image ,so it will get in the "inventory".
Now you read that local residents say they have heard a metallic-sounding noise by the time of the murder .
You mark this statement and it will be stored in the "inventory".

The obvious: the body was transported down the ladder. (Apart from the fact that this is quite a feat)
As there are no information about the roof in the file, you can request some kind of additional investigation.
You will be asked by the game what you want to examine and you have to enter keywords about your needs.
In this case, that would be "roof". You will be prompted for a reason why it is believed that this investigation is relevant and you bring up the selected text and the selected photo from the inventory.
Now you get a new page for the file. This shows a new image and / or text information.
On the picture you discover a hatch on the roof spilled with traces of blood, with the result that these belong to the victim.
You learn which apartment owns the hatch and after reviewing the records, you also learn that these residents have already made a statement.

Now you can "resolve" the case by first nameing the culprit. Now you must substantiate the suspicion.
Here you have to proceed step by step. In this example we take again the testimony of the neighbors.
Now the picture with the marked ladder followed by the picture of the hatch with the image of the blood.

Since we analyzed only the file themselve and gave hints there is now an evaluation,
that the apartment was searched and the police found the murder weapon. Hence the case for the player is done.

The presentation would ideally be kept in 3D.
You move in ego perspective through your office to the desk or go to the wall panel or to
to initiate phone calls for a further investigation. (maybe even a radio that plays MP3s )
This type of presentation would enrich the atmosphere in any case -
But in the end is not crucial for the gameplay itself.

Additional gameplay elements such as a phone book or map excerpts from the crime scene and the environment are also being considered.

Development:
I recently started the development. All work will be done in Java.
At the moment there are some essential classes ready as well as the XML based "case-loader" and the regarding handler classes.

Next step :
Some first printing of text (I've yet to decide how I will do this) with the possibillity of marking it and saving this fragment as an inventory object.

Dummy XML case structure:
Code:
<Case>
<Title>Fall 1</Title>
<Page id="1">
<Visible>True</Visible>
<Name>Page1</Name>
<Text>blabla</Text>
<Picture>
<Name>Pic1</Name>
<PositionX>0</PositionX>
<PositionY>0</PositionY>
<Clue>
<Name>Pic1Clue</Name>
<XRegionFrom>300</XRegionFrom>
<YRegionFrom>200</YRegionFrom>
<YRegionTo>500</YRegionTo>
<XRegionTo>300</XRegionTo>
</Clue>
</Picture>
</Page>
<Page id="2">
<Visible>True</Visible>
<Name>Page2</Name>
<Text>blabla trololo</Text>
<Clue>
<Name>TextClue1</Name>
<Text>trololo</Text>
</Clue>
</Page>
<Page id="3">
<Visible>False</Visible>
<VisibleOn>
<Evidence>TextClue1</Evidence>
<Evidence>Pic1Clue</Evidence>
</VisibleOn>
<Name>Page3</Name>
<Text>blabla Name</Text>
<Clue>
<Name>Murder</Name>
<Text>Name</Text>
</Clue>
</Page>

<Solution>
<Murder>
<Name>Murder</Name>
<Evidence>TextClue1</Evidence>
<Evidence>Pic1Clue</Evidence>
</Murder>
</Solution>
</Case>

Update Feb/10/12 :
Current in-game picture

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:11:16 PM by mrekim » Logged
mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 07:17:52 AM »

UI Mockup:
mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 01:23:19 AM »

I did not have any time over the weekend to work on the code -
but I had some thoughts about multiple difficulty settings.
So here is what I consider beeing the best compromise :

- Detective mode : This is the target difficulty setting without any in-game help.
- Normal mode : Here you will get additional obvious but helpful information.

Example : You see a picture of a crime scene but everything in the room is tidy - so no fight took place.
in Detective mode you have to catch this important fact on your own.
Normal mode gives you a hint like "The room looks very tidy".

What do you think?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 01:56:37 AM by mrekim » Logged
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 02:15:32 AM »

Instead of modes, you should just let the player select "Hints ON/OFF". The hints could be stated by the player character if they are turned on.

mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 02:36:45 AM »

Working with optional hints as voice-over is also a good possibillity. Thanks for this idea.

Toast Right

delete me
Level 0

This account is very old, I don't use it.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »

Sounds interesting, but do you really think a detective would receive a case file with a Polaroid picture in it? I personally have no idea, but I wouldn't guess so.
mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »

Of course not Wink
Maybe 20 years ago or so. This was just for illustration.
mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 08:15:52 AM »

Today I had some thoughts about a surrounding story line. The idea origins from some forum members of another forum where I post.

I will try to put all this pieces together to present you the main aspect of this "feature".
mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:11:35 AM »

Due to some... erm... "events" I lost a little progress on my code.
Nothing major.

https://github.com/mrekim/Project---Case-File
Git Rep. for this project.

Feel free to comment on this ugly piece of code :D
mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 07:53:15 AM »

First Screenshot:

Made it with java+lwjgl+slick.
The whole text marking and getting stuff caused some serious brain damage but I'm happy to be done with that.

Next step : save marked text as inventory object.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:23:11 AM by mrekim » Logged
mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 02:20:47 PM »

Demo case is done so far. Next week you'll be able to download a first pre-alpha/whatever.
mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 01:06:24 AM »

Yay. Paper snippets are done so far. Currently I'm adding a scrollable inventory list on the bottom. Nearly done with that. It just needs some eye candy. Smiley
mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 02:57:06 AM »

Done with the scrollable inventory:
mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 01:09:46 AM »

Case View :(got this background image from google  Shrug )

Arrange-clue View:

I did also implement the viewing of pictures and, of course, you can add them to your inventory.

Now all resolutions from 800x600 to FullHD are supported and you can use 2 Font-Sizes (14 and 20). (this was the hardest work Shocked )
Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 08:30:09 AM »

I really like the idea of this game. I hope you make good use of the wall, not just as a guide to the player but to verify that a case is solved.

I am envisioning a big wall of photos, papers and post-its, all connected with different colored string like in prison break or homeland. Grin

Maybe you could let the player add predefined fields on the wall to which you could drag and drop information. Time line fields, motives and so on.

For example, if a murder has been committed, you create fields for "murder weapon", "motive", "culprit", "victim" and "time line" on the wall, to which you can drag-and-drop your notes. It would be easy (I think) to check if a case is completely solved that way and if an important piece is missing, provide a relevant objection ("but what about...").

For instance, if there are two suspects, you can't just guess and put one under "culprit" and hit solve. But if you also have a time line showing that one guy was somewhere else at the time, hitting solve would work.

Anyway, I got a bit carried away. Very interesting game, looking forward to seeing it. I just hope it will be playable in English as well. Smiley
mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 09:01:31 AM »

Thanks for your feedback. Smiley
Today I implemented adding your own notes by simply typing them.
I really want to encourage the player to arrange the notes on its own to crack the case.
As I stated in the first post you also have to provide evidence for your suspicions - so you can't simply guess.

The only concern at the moment is, that there is too less space for the notes in lower resolutions.
But this could be worked around with multiple pinboards.

And of course I'll try to make a proper translation. Smiley
mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 03:16:25 PM »

I really dislike the current art style of the game. I need something more corporate and Lofi. Unfortunately I'm not very good at drawing things.
Also the font is not that perfect. Any suggestions from your side? Should I try a more pixelated font/style?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:25:09 PM by mrekim » Logged
mrekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 06:40:11 AM »

I changed some of the assets like the notes and added some shadows as well as smooth edges:

before it looked like this:

What do you think?

Yodhe
Level 0

Flying Lasanga

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 06:45:36 AM »

Makes me think of "Vera Cruz" from the 8bit Speccy days.

Bunker Mentality - Post Apocalyptic Squad Turn Based Strategy RPG - http://www.justanotherturn.com
Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 07:15:11 AM »

The graphics look a lot better. You could add a frame around the board and some pins to each note as well! Not sure about the rounded corners on the notes though, but maybe you're not going for the super realistic look?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic