Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:01:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Lord
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: The Lord  (Read 12893 times)
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2011, 01:00:59 PM »

I agree that it would look better if the fog were smoother/ the same resolution as the map, but I can't offer any suggestions to overcome the technical problems there. Or... no fog of war?

Domination

Grin
Ashkin
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2011, 02:35:03 PM »

Can we see a demo on what the three variations on FOW would look like with the same resolution as the map?
batiali
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the long break, I had a flash game released 2 weeks ago. (All That Matters) I was working on sponsor files & release stuff & updates etc. Now I'm back to work more on Domination.

Devrim drew this concept art piece and a couple of more lord & lady portraits. Let us know what you think about them.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:11:30 AM by batiali » Logged

Designer | Developer | Website | Twitter | Devlog: Almost a Hero

“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 08:14:44 AM »

I notice a lot of the new Lords/Ladies look rather sinister. Are these only going to be used for opponent NPCs, or will the player have to adopt one of these to represent themselves? I ask because it seems that might have unintentional consequences – the player will in essence be told "you're a bad guy".
batiali
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2012, 08:22:17 AM »

Player will be able to pick one of them in the beginning. I'm considering to add startup traits to lords. (Small advantages + disadvantages like +1 gold production for each land, %5 more food production, %5 faster citizen growth, better diplomacy etc.)

These lords & ladies are also customizable like before. (Different colors of hairs for ladies, facial hairs or bold lords etc.)

There will probably be more lord & lady portraits in the future. I'll tell Devrim to make some good guys as well :D

“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
batiali
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2012, 11:17:19 AM »

- Day 47 -

Here's a mockup screen for starting a custom game.

It's the first iteration. Final result will probably be a lot different with a better background Smiley (When Devrim touches it...)

namragog
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »

Looking VERY nice  Wizard
batiali
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2012, 02:28:17 PM »

Looking VERY nice  Wizard
Thanks!

Added Signs to lords. Current signs: Cat, Boar, Wolf, Bear, Dragonfly, Owl, Snake, Elephant, Bug, Fish
Added Traits to lords. Current traits: Strategist, Dictator, Gambler, Reverend, Visionary, Leader, Barbarian, Bluffer, Cunning, Insidious

Lords will be able to pick 1 sign and 2 traits at the start. Signs only provide positive attributes but all traits have both advantages & disadvantages. It will be possible not to pick any traits.

Second iteration of mockup.

batiali
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2012, 07:11:25 AM »

Domination DEVLOG: DAY (I_Have_No_Idea)

Hey there,
Haven't been active lately. The reason is I'm trying to learn iphone development - objective c stuff because I'd like to publish this game on mobile as well.

Here's a couple of images from tech icons. I can't decide if I can color them or not, so any suggestion is appreciated. Icons are 40x40 but I want to scale them on hover, so I thought a filter might make it cooler, so I've added both filtered & unfiltered versions, let me know which one is better.

- Original size. -

- Original size, colored. -

- x2 scaled size. -

- x2 scaled size, colored, filtered. -

- x4 scaled size. -

- x4 scaled size, filtered. -

- x4 scaled size, colored, filtered. -

batiali
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2012, 03:55:11 PM »

Traits & Signs

Traits - colored, original size

Traits - x4 scale, colored, filtered

Signs - colored, original size

Signs - x4 scale, colored, filtered

Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »

Looking forward to this one. Appears to be deep yet intuitive.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2012, 09:47:56 AM »

What's new?
batiali
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2012, 01:49:52 AM »

Sorry for the lack of updates. A lot of things have changed about Domination in 2 months and I couldn't keep the devlog updated. I will try to give as much information as possible in this post. (It seems keeping a devlog updated on a daily basis is not my thing, but I still want to share my progress.)

So, based on Amit's absolutely mind blowing tutorial on polygonal map generation, I switched the tiles of Domination from hexagons to polygons. Here is that great tutorial: http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/game-programming/polygon-map-generation/

Since the main artist couldn't find enough time to work on the game, I decided to go for a different art style on Domination, more like Kingdom Rush, Bastion etc, which means art I've posted before won't be in the game. Here's a work in progress of the interface:

Note that the map on the background has some photoshop filters on it which means randomly generated maps in real game is not looking that good. It's close, but not that good.

That flag you see on the interface is a complete new mechanic to make the game more interactive. You can put a flag on the map anytime to state your people that capturing lands around the flag is a priority for you. Your people will tend to attack more around the flag than randomly attacking nearby lands. But if they are unhappy, who knows where they will want to attack.

Different biomes on the map also affect production. Dry and high areas produce more gold where low and moist areas produce more food. They also affect the breeding of your people. So flag is important to draw your lands borders. There are lots of technologies that provide bonuses based on the majority of your land types.

I think that's all for now. A lot of art is being produced right now. As you may already guessed, this project became a lot bigger than I initially thought. But I'm really happy to work on this right now. And I hope to update this devlog more! Feedback is appreciated.

(Oh, btw the game will be ported to ipad after a pc browser version.)

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2012, 02:02:26 AM »

You still need somekind of a tile system to define bounds of land owned by the players and to place and move stuff around, no? Or do you use vertexes for that as well?

Anyway, it's frickin' awesome! The whole concept of the game and the visuals, really good. Looking forward to be able to play it Smiley

batiali
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2012, 02:27:13 AM »

You still need somekind of a tile system to define bounds of land owned by the players and to place and move stuff around, no? Or do you use vertexes for that as well?

This is the best part of polygonal maps. All the lands that are represented visually have their borders defined. It has borders and looks natural at the same time.  My earlier approach was also looking not that bad but hexagonal grid and visual was not matching completely. (when it matches, it wasnt looking natural)

I will post a more detailed ss later. There are also different view types that players can switch between. (like strategic view, economic view, terrain view...)

Thanks for the feedback!

Uykered
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2012, 03:48:12 AM »

This looks looks interesting, I like how the art style is more coherent now.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »

Very cool overhaul.

I hope the GUI isn't that screen-greedy in the final version though.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic