Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 03:24:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)itt: good character designs
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: itt: good character designs  (Read 149573 times)
JoGribbs
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2012, 08:33:25 PM »

In that case I respect Aaron Diaz's efforts to redesign the characters of the DC universe for boring people.

EDIT: I guess my beef is with content not form. He goes 'this is Superman' and puts a picture up and then I go 'that's dumb'. But really it's a completely different character that he's come up with that's very similar to Superman but is in fact not Superman.

Is Diaz communicating what he wants? Yeah. He's in control of what comes across in his designs, I just don't think he's in control of his own influences regarding his ideas: why does cyborg look like Moss from the IT crowd other than 'I like Moss from the IT crowd?' Why is Parasite an old granny? It's too busy trying to get some kind of 'neat angle' on the characters that it doesn't really get any angle.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:45:11 PM by Joe Gribbin » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2012, 08:48:23 PM »

EVERYTHING in this. Such a great, sadly forgotten film:

The Theif and the Cobbler.

Woa. Super cool.

WOW GODDAMN that is some smooth animation
JoGribbs
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2012, 08:56:21 PM »

Diaz seems to be approaching each character like 'the pop-cultural understanding of this character doesn't matter', which is coming at it the wrong way methinks. If this was intended as a reaction to the DC comics stuff (i.e. appealing to new readers), surely he'd want to stress their most iconic aspects?

This is why I don't think you should ever redesign Superman's costume drastically - everyone knows it! They recognise it and understand what it means. People still want to see Superman/ Batman etc. they just don't want to read them in comics. Decline in comic readership can be chalked up at least in part to movies doing bam biff pow superhero action in a more stimulating fashion (and often more concisely).
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »

Or maybe because they failed to create mass appeal, manga succeed in a way comics never had, and they have even more obscure universe. Movies takes super heroes pretty much after they have been refine and rarely goes beyond the "refine origin" tales, when they have been streamlined and had became iconic enough (ie close enough to the basic archetypal concept). Batman became more than batman and a tales of vigilantism, spiderman became a tales of responsibility and power, Superman became a tales of protection and hope.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:18:00 PM by Gimmy TILBERT » Logged

JoGribbs
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2012, 09:26:43 PM »

All true. I think the mass appeal thing has only 'emerged' as a problem recently tho. It's a long-term thing that comic companies couldn't see past their own noses to comprehend when they could have fixed it. They were making enough money off superheroes so why bother?

The thing I worry about is that there's a thriving community of comics artists right now who are creating fantastic, non-superhero work that's probably going to be limited by the image of comics as 'inconsequential', 'for children' etc. that these companies created.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2012, 09:48:53 PM »

EVERYTHING in this. Such a great, sadly forgotten film:

The Theif and the Cobbler.

About time somebody posted this. I thought you guys forgot about it.
inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2012, 11:45:49 PM »

I just thought of a design I really, really, liked. Sophitias alternate costume in Soul Calibur 3. Luckily I found an image with both the main and the alternate.

The one on the left is the main costume and the one on the right is the alternate. Which one makes more sense? I dunno 'bout you, but the right one imo.

For one thing, it actually looks like an outfit that makes sense. It's more dignified than skimpy. Not only is the outfit more sensible, even the hair makes more sense being tied up in a bun(s?).

Of course they kept the temple-girl main outfit in 4, and for the alternate...

... uh. Well, it's armor. Ugly, stupid looking armor...  Undecided

Sophitias evolution is kind of indicative of the entire series when it comes to character design.

Digging around for this I found a concept/promotional (dunno which) piece for one of the bonus characters.

I actually kind of like that one.

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
leonelc29
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2012, 12:10:44 AM »

about the evolution of Sophitia, it seems she became less warrior and more of a hooker. it's kinda weird that the design of female warrior is getting less and less clothing. are they lazy or something?
inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2012, 04:14:56 AM »

Nah, they just prioritize weirdly. Actually, I took a look at Ivy. Her SCV look is actually much better than her SCIV one.

The IV costume was mostly straps, but the V one have a bit more sensible elements to it (don't really get why only three of her left fingers have armor, but meh). Not as insane as IV, but still Ivy. (Now if only they'd give her back her SC2 gameplay too  Concerned)

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2012, 08:13:43 AM »

Sophitia's sword also got progressively smaller.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2012, 05:37:28 PM »

http://i.imgur.com/6z6HQ.jpg
leonelc29
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2012, 07:17:51 PM »

what did it say? i only able to read kanji and i know it's talking about boob.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2012, 07:38:46 PM »

- What looks like a DC Comics do-over along with a lecture on why Joe Gribbin hates it -

Am I the only one who actually likes this new Batman?
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2012, 08:21:06 PM »

My guess:

"Soul Caliber is the breast fighting game."
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2012, 08:30:01 PM »

My guess:

"Soul Caliber is the breast fighting game."
TIGS really needs a "thank post" feature
JoGribbs
« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2012, 08:31:36 PM »

- What looks like a DC Comics do-over along with a lecture on why Joe Gribbin hates it -
The one I posted? I liked it, s'why I posted it.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2012, 09:06:59 PM »

My guess:

"Soul Caliber is the breast feeding game."

Fixed  Noir

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2012, 10:37:57 PM »

The one I posted? I liked it, s'why I posted it.

I like 'em too. Especially the Superman one, made more interested in that character than I'd ever been before.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2012, 11:22:17 PM »

"Soul Caliber: tit's not your average fighting game."
JoGribbs
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2012, 01:37:59 AM »

I like 'em too. Especially the Superman one, made more interested in that character than I'd ever been before.
I didn't say that one was good.

Read All Star Superman or Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorow or Red Son. Good Superman stories.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic