Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:53:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)itt: good character designs
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: itt: good character designs  (Read 148720 times)
inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2012, 02:28:06 PM »

I really hate Dota 2 design. Angry That elf girl is just shamelesly redrawn Sylvana\Nightt Elf model from Warcraft 3 ... ...I can understand when some chinese dudes make such things, but its friggin Valve!
You do know that the original DotA was a Warcraft 3 mod, right?

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
ink.inc
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2012, 02:45:07 PM »

Dream, of Neil Gaiman's The Sandman.

And his older sister, Death. The use of stark black and white helped them to stand out both inside their world, and from other comic book heroes, who were for the most part drawn in strong primary/secondary colors.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2012, 02:50:31 PM »

I don't really find any of those designs to be interesting or memorable.
ink.inc
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2012, 02:59:41 PM »

okay  Sad
Morroque
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »

Dream and Death of the Sandman is an interesting choice based on the notion of design. Their appearance changes a lot over the course of the story, especially on what time period they are in. Even consider Delirium, who changes in appearance over seven times just in Brief Lives alone. The Endless are better considered as characters, not merely character designs.

I think the only two of the Endless who don't vary in appearance are Destiny and Despair, and even Despair was at least implied to look different at an earlier time before the first Despair was killed or something. (Of all the loose ends in the story, they still haven't gone over that.)

They only become memorable to those who have read the entire mythos, but they're quite forgettable just based upon physical appearance.
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2012, 07:46:43 PM »

john im pretty sure league of legends character designs are more memorable because dota 2 is a warcraft 3 mod, and they had to base the champs designs off of already existing characters. now, even though valve has the creative freedom to change up the design to make them better, they mostly left the designs the same.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2012, 08:00:57 PM »

half life 3 has such good characters. Tiger
leonelc29
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2012, 01:24:58 AM »

you all just left out the most iconic and memorable character in Japan since last decade.
nope, this cat is not cool, it's just every child's best friend.
BeastBrain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2012, 04:15:25 AM »

knotty spine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2012, 04:48:48 AM »

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:45:56 PM by knotty spine » Logged

Animating something like this >> Outraged << would take hours, maybe even days of work.
zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »

And yeah I have  a shitty attitude.

That's not a strength dude. Besides, you have not made a single contribution to the thread besides whining.

When I look at the images people post, I ask myself "Why does this person like this design?" and similar. Just flinging an image aside just because I personally think it's shitty is lazy if you ask me, which you didn't.

I could go over Gabriel, but thernz already did that (I'm gonna do it anyway, just wait). Sarcastically, yes, but it was pretty spot on. Lords of Shadow is a simple game. Subtleness would be sort of wasted on it, because frankly, there's no need for it. The player needs to understand a few basic things about Gabriel. He is a templar, a "tortured soul", and has resolve. All of these things are implied through his clothes, posture and gear. You might think that it is shitty, but what you're missing is that it is competent and deliberate. There are few, if any, parts of his design that feel sporadic. It's not the pinnacle of design, it was not intended to be.

My shitty attitude is awesome.

And yes I am being lazy for not playing all those games all those characters come from, that's why I ask those questions. Why is a character design good for that perticular game or for that show you talk about?

Most designs are viable only in their own franchise or setting. That's why an explanation is needed.

I like that some discussion has been sparked in this otherwise pretty worthless thread.
inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2012, 05:30:39 AM »

My shitty attitude is awesome.
No.

And yes I am being lazy for not playing all those games all those characters come from
I never said that you should play the games, but rather that you should exercise your brain when examining the designs people post and not merely dismiss them because they don't appeal to you personally.

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
shig
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »

I think, by genre, fighting games have the best character designs on average. This is probably because the first trend-setting games had pretty fucking excellent design.

Also I am pretty sure the most important reason why nobody cares about Virtua Fighter is because they have the most uninteresting characters in history.
shig
« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2012, 05:56:43 PM »

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2012, 06:34:25 PM »

heihachi and king are cool but that guy is literally just Ken who forgot to shave and with Polnareff's hairdo
EdgeOfProphecy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2012, 08:10:48 PM »

Pyramid Head.

He has an very strong, recognizable profile, which helps with the generally foggy, indistinct features of the Silent Hill games.  You can see him moving toward you through the fog and you know exactly who it is.

His design in general is very bizzare, and works quite well for Silent Hill.  At first, you're not really sure what you're looking at.  He looks human...but man is his head weird.  The scale and shape of it are super off-putting and settle Pyramid Head pretty solidly in the uncanny valley, which is exactly what you want for Silent Hill.
PowRTocH
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2012, 09:18:40 PM »

tekken

Nope sorry all of those are terrible.
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2012, 10:01:05 PM »

tekken

Nope sorry all of those are terrible.
woah okay stop that yoshimitsu is my baby
Conker534
« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »

Inanimate