Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:16:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)itt: good character designs
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: itt: good character designs  (Read 149494 times)
Theophilus
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2012, 06:49:58 PM »

Akira Toriyama

+1million respect
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2012, 07:12:44 PM »

dum

the best character designer is kazuma kaneko

Chris Pavia
« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2012, 07:24:14 PM »

My pants just got tighter.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2012, 07:25:51 PM »

Yes.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2012, 07:28:37 PM »

That guy has the best leopard dude:
Theophilus
« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2012, 07:50:58 PM »

why are leopard doods so popular

oh look, look over there mom, it's a leopard dood

^nobody says that
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2012, 08:52:55 PM »

Protip: Ose was the little-known fourth Cheetahman.

Every character design Kazuma Kaneko touches turns to gold, so yeah. Wizard

PowRTocH
« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »

I really like Georg Baselitz's character designs.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2012, 01:59:15 AM »

dum

I gotta get an art book!
zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2012, 02:43:28 AM »

Once again, everyone missing the point.
It's not about story. It's about placing stuff in their setting.
Thanks for explaining that Blanka is a wild beastman. I seriously couldn't see that for myself just by looking at him.
I'm saying that a lot of fighting game characters leave a lot of stuff open to interpretation, for everyone to interpret differently. That isn't strong character design.
The iterations that Vega went through are not standard practice. Final result is mix of the first iterations, which isn't how things are done if you want something to stand out.
Seems to me that the team didn't know what to include, and just drew a bunch of "cool looking dudes" and then settled on something. To me it seems like a descision that was made because of time constraints.
ink.inc
« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2012, 04:04:37 AM »

The Persona series has a ton of great, sleek design.

^this one's sitting on a throne made up of young girls, in case you didn't notice

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2012, 07:00:47 AM »

Thanks for explaining that Blanka is a wild beastman. I seriously couldn't see that for myself just by looking at him.
I'm saying that a lot of fighting game characters leave a lot of stuff open to interpretation, for everyone to interpret differently. That isn't strong character design.
The iterations that Vega went through are not standard practice. Final result is mix of the first iterations, which isn't how things are done if you want something to stand out.
Seems to me that the team didn't know what to include, and just drew a bunch of "cool looking dudes" and then settled on something. To me it seems like a descision that was made because of time constraints.

ohhh so if a character can be interpreted differently by different people its a bad design. I see. except my point still stands: you can't always explain a character's entire backstory with just their design, especially when there's fantastical elements involved. nobody's going to figure out why somebody is a leopardman just by fucking looking at him, thats what terrible plots and cutscenes are for. variety is sometimes more important than clarity.

also hell yes persona has the best designs ever

Lo
keo
« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2012, 09:50:18 AM »

I don't know if BOF:DQ has been mentioned but I always think back to the character designs from it:
shig
« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2012, 12:32:45 PM »

I bet.
it's not about story, see... its about story!
These designs actually go out of their way to answer the most important questions for you as soon as possible. In Dhalsim's case, you can instantly tell his archetype, his fighting style and even some points about ingame playstyle: he won't fight like normal people and physical strenght isn't his forte. These are the most important questions for a fighting game, and the first ones that come to mind when you see a character select screen for the first time. Any more than this and every character would have to come with their autobiographies tattoed on their faces so you can know everything about his past at first glance.

The funny thing is how fighting games typically go completely out of their way to tell you more small details about their characters even if you are totally uninterested in Story Modes or game manuals. Usually every character has their own taunts, victory poses and winquotes, intros, stages, themes, signature moves and there are always one or two moves where the character practically takes a break from fighting just to strike a pose and show you how evil/cool/serious he is(e.g: every ultra animation in sf4).

It seems like this to you but you don't know shit because that text on wikipedia is ridiculously vague and undetailed. ALL we know is 1) he had many iterations and 2) these iterations contributed to the final version.
Unless you believe "standard practice" means a character will come out perfect the very first time you sketch him on paper, then yes, this is standard practice.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2012, 04:02:30 PM »

Wow his suit is incredibly worn down. ha

that's awesome.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: February 12, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »

I always liked Canti from FLCL, his weight really seems to be well distributed, and he's very versatile with his different costumes and attires.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:11:29 PM by kYn » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2012, 04:08:36 PM »

dum

I gotta get an art book!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=KAZUMA+KANEKO+ILLUSTRATION+WORKS+II+ART+BOOK+Japan+2

good luck, they're expensive even used. apparently i've wanted to buy them since like 2002 since when i searched google for his name + art book i found one of my old lj entries from 2002 saying i wanted it

Reggie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 13, 2012, 05:07:18 AM »

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2012, 06:25:09 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=KAZUMA+KANEKO+ILLUSTRATION+WORKS+II+ART+BOOK+Japan+2

good luck, they're expensive even used. apparently i've wanted to buy them since like 2002 since when i searched google for his name + art book i found one of my old lj entries from 2002 saying i wanted it

Thanks! I don't use eBay, but if I find a way to get it some other way, I'll grab a second copy and send it to you. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic