Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 04:50:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)itt: good character designs
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: itt: good character designs  (Read 149587 times)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: March 01, 2012, 02:39:04 PM »

@thernz, I think the world is trying to adhere to the white standard of beauty. This is why Asian girls get circle lenses and eyelid glue to make their eyes look rounder, this is why black girls straighten their hair. All of the features of Nomura's characters are Caucasoid; the arch of the nose, the shape and color of the eyes, the facial bone structure; these are all white features. I think if anything most of these characters end up looking half-Asian, or like Asian-inspired white people, or maybe white-people inspired Asians.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: March 01, 2012, 02:42:55 PM »

yeah, this is true even in india, where most of the movie stars in indian bollywood films have really light skin by the standards of india; lighter skin is considered more attractive there

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 01, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »

By the way, wasn't the older Nier in US and maybe Europe and the younger in Japan? I think it was a matter of region, not console.
We only got old Nier while Japan got both depending on console.

yeah, this is true even in india, where most of the movie stars in indian bollywood films have really light skin by the standards of india; lighter skin is considered more attractive there
I'm pretty sure that was prevalent before western influence.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: March 01, 2012, 03:36:35 PM »

i dunno, british rule over india predates bollywood / movies, so i think it'd be there from the beginning

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 01, 2012, 03:41:14 PM »

i think the bollywood thing is just an extension of things and the whole thing might extend back to even the aryans, who were likely lighter.

@thernz, I think the world is trying to adhere to the white standard of beauty. This is why Asian girls get circle lenses and eyelid glue to make their eyes look rounder, this is why black girls straighten their hair. All of the features of Nomura's characters are Caucasoid; the arch of the nose, the shape and color of the eyes, the facial bone structure; these are all white features. I think if anything most of these characters end up looking half-Asian, or like Asian-inspired white people, or maybe white-people inspired Asians.
i think my argument was more like it wasn't the white standard of beauty because it's a misappropriation. while it may be influenced by that white standard, it's largely its own thing full of its own nuances like gackt-sama. even with "white features," they are aesthetically and uniquely japanese.

and to me, all of nomura's characters look asian/or ambiguous anime (which is less white and more interpretative based on who views it) in facial features and etc, just with dyed hair and colored contacts which is just ANIME.

barring ff13

literally white
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:13:46 PM by thernz » Logged

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: March 01, 2012, 04:22:13 PM »

Well the racial points are kind of moot considering how heinous the character designs are regardless.

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 01, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »

yeah, that's better. there you go.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 01, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »

literally white

What the crap is with those stupid tails? One reason why I flipped a table over FF9.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: March 01, 2012, 04:41:03 PM »

Also most japanse go for the ganguro gal-o look:

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: March 01, 2012, 04:43:16 PM »

most

nope

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: March 01, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »

Yeah, my bad, I meant to say "a fair amount of". My subconscious tried to be controversial I guess.

Also I reffered the japanse, not the Japanese, you guys! Tongue

Theophilus
« Reply #291 on: March 01, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »

this guy is looking at them like i look at the more outrageous final fantasy character designs
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: March 01, 2012, 05:16:07 PM »

this guy is looking at them like i look at the more outrageous final fantasy character designs

This guy gets it.

ink.inc
« Reply #293 on: March 04, 2012, 08:25:16 AM »

XENOGEARSSSSSS

simple, but strong
leonelc29
« Reply #294 on: March 04, 2012, 08:30:03 AM »

it's way too strong until the link broke. Droop
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: March 04, 2012, 08:40:48 AM »

sandonoval hasn't yet figured out the internet

mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: March 04, 2012, 09:49:50 AM »

My understanding was that Ganguro fashion movement/ life style was a rebellion against what the Japanese's ideal traditional beauty. White pale skin with jet black hair and eyes.
In many parts of asia being white and pale is the ideal for different reasons. From what I understand it's mostly because of the class struggle between the lower and upper and not because they just love Europeans so much. Only those who work on farms get tans so if you  want to sneak into the upper class parties you buy products that lighten your skin. But it sure is confusing to americans when you open your Philippians issue of FHM and see this: Does that mean that Tidus has never worked on a farm? I do think he was more of a ' hey white surfer dudes are so cool'! It was just the package of american exported culture Namura received that day... then regurgitated it and made Tidus among other monstrosities.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: March 04, 2012, 11:25:10 AM »

hm? not sure what you're referring to there. i know how to use those things pretty well and do so almost daily

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 04, 2012, 01:17:32 PM »

(It isn't just Majora's mask that makes this a good design; the scarecrow features makes him more uncanny.)

(I also really like Zant's helmet and tasselled sleeves.)

(Less character than creature, but the contrast of minimalist features with a gaping maw and piranha-like violence really works.)

Edit to add

(So recognizable in his various disguises and metamorphoses. Not a sophisticated design, but a distinct one nonetheless.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:39:38 PM by rek » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #299 on: March 04, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »

it's way too strong until the link broke. Droop

oops

i had links to sprite rips; i guess the site i took them from wont allow me to share them ;___;

these will have to do (its hard to find character art for this game...)... but the animations i linked to really had a lot of character...
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic