Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 10:01:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)itt: good character designs
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: itt: good character designs  (Read 149594 times)
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: March 05, 2012, 01:49:09 AM »

Wow, yeah, I almost forgot how beautiful that show was. <3

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: March 05, 2012, 05:44:23 AM »

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: March 05, 2012, 09:11:55 AM »

If you think those are pretty, you oughta see Symbionic Titan. Damn shame that it only got one season.

Dem backgrounds... also, solid character designs.
iffi
« Reply #303 on: March 17, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »

It's been posted once already, but I really love San's character design from Princess Mononoke:

ink.inc
« Reply #304 on: April 22, 2012, 05:32:32 AM »

ya san is pretty grate

jigen daisuke from lupin the third is also pretty sweet

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 06:23:26 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #305 on: April 22, 2012, 05:33:38 AM »

also i just noticed that the samurai jack character in white (posted above) was probably a reference to classic jigen
JWK5
« Reply #306 on: April 22, 2012, 04:24:33 PM »

I really like the character designs in Radiata Stories (and I really like the game in general). Considering you can recruit just about every single NPC you meet, even the ones that seem to be villains, all of the characters in the game world have a lot of personality to their designs. I like how they've narrowed each character down to 2 or 3 major colors so that even though you're composing a party of 3 out of roughly 200 characters each character is easy to pick out on the battlefield. The enemies generally follow that rule as well.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:30:44 PM by JWK5 » Logged
Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: April 30, 2012, 06:39:51 PM »

ink.inc
« Reply #308 on: April 30, 2012, 08:49:02 PM »

the eponymous punpun
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: April 30, 2012, 10:16:55 PM »

that comic depressed me so much.

ink.inc
« Reply #310 on: April 30, 2012, 10:28:36 PM »

best manga of all time
The_Ulf
Level 0

The_Ulf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: May 01, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »

It'd be cool if those were actually Valve's designs...

The One The Only The_Ulf
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 01, 2012, 05:52:28 PM »

Eh, I think Valve took the inspiration of the originals and ran with it. 
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: May 01, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »

Weren't the originals just weird recolours of WC3 models anyway?

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: May 02, 2012, 03:05:41 AM »

Dota Comparisons:

http://dota2.ru/news/dizajjn-modelek-geroev-dota-i-dota-2

EDIT: I'm a big fan of Valve's designs.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 02, 2012, 03:15:02 AM »

I think that they are fantastic redesigns. Valve walked the fine line of making sure they are instantly recognizable to a DotA 1 player but without being slavish copies.
The_Ulf
Level 0

The_Ulf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: May 02, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »

I think that they are fantastic redesigns. Valve walked the fine line of making sure they are instantly recognizable to a DotA 1 player but without being slavish copies.

I just don't see why 'recognizable to a DotA player' is a priority when even ownership of the name 'DOTA' is in question, legally...

It's subjective to be sure, but I still feel like Valve really didn't try on some of them.  I absolutely love some of their more original character work (like the incredible Nightstalker), but the one's that are still similar are treading dangerous waters - especially when the models they're based off of are prominent/named characters in the Blizzard IP lore (I'm looking at you, Grom 'Axe' Hellscream).

As an 'aspiring' (read: not really that good) game designer and artist, it makes me uneasy to see an industry leader engage in what I'd consider artistic theft and set such a dark precedent for our craft...

The One The Only The_Ulf
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 02, 2012, 09:26:26 AM »

"Lina"? Like Lina Inverse? Facepalm

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: May 02, 2012, 09:56:29 AM »

As an 'aspiring' (read: not really that good) game designer and artist, it makes me uneasy to see an industry leader engage in what I'd consider artistic theft and set such a dark precedent for our craft...

I think you're overthinking this. Valve wanted them to be similar in style and recognizable, while different enough to match the overall game style of DOTA2 and to not get sued. And they succeeded. Consider intent. They're not being malicious; they have nothing to gain from it. It's to pay homage, not to duplicate. Also, if Grom and Axe's models side by side were considered by someone who doesn't know anything about the connection, they'd likely say they were similar, but not the same.

"Lina"? Like Lina Inverse? Facepalm

Yeah, the DOTA creators weren't too clever. At least Valve just called her 'Lina'.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
EdgeOfProphecy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: May 03, 2012, 12:46:49 PM »

I just don't see why 'recognizable to a DotA player' is a priority when even ownership of the name 'DOTA' is in question, legally...

It's subjective to be sure, but I still feel like Valve really didn't try on some of them.  I absolutely love some of their more original character work (like the incredible Nightstalker), but the one's that are still similar are treading dangerous waters - especially when the models they're based off of are prominent/named characters in the Blizzard IP lore (I'm looking at you, Grom 'Axe' Hellscream).

They did change the characterization when it fell too close to Blizzard lore, like Earthshaker.

I think it is utmost importance they they make the characters recognizable to DOTA players, since DOTA2 is effectively DOTA with better graphics.  For a MOBA, having a strong competitive community is totally key to success, and they're pretty obviously trying to get the existing DOTA community onboard.  The last game to attempt a DOTA-esque MOBA (HoN) didn't do fabulously, so I can understand a company treading close as they can to DOTA.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic