Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:31:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to market an indie game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to market an indie game  (Read 7286 times)
haaf
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2007, 05:28:05 AM »

In hardcore and casual markets it is known pretty well, who are your audience, what size it is, what it appreciates, where it dwells, how to reach it and what it takes. And lots of publisher / distributor entities exist who can do the marketing and selling for you for percentage of income.

In case of indie games it's not that obvious. Who are those people who would like to enjoy games as art, how many of them exist, and how to reach them? Is there any uniform audience at all or is it segmented into fans of different kind of games?

Please, share any experience / knowledge on how to reach an audience for indie games or their specific kinds: portals, archives, review sites, distirbutors, publishers and any other channels an indie developer may concern.

Also, if you've been successful with some kind of games or a specific game that may be referred as "indie" or "experimental", or happened to raise your own audience, please share your experience and business models if this will not hurt you.

If you're developing your game right now, share your plans and ideas on how you are going to sell it.
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 06:29:48 AM »

Sadly, I'd imagine the hardcore artful games crowd are developers and people that already follow sites like TIGSource, IndyGamer, GamesAreArt, Experimental Gameplay, etc.  There's a bit of crossover with freeware gaming, flash, compo's, and Japan centric games.

Your best bet is to either somehow make a big deal of your game (IGF, gamer mags, IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku, other gamer blogs, Penny Arcade, *ANY* big non gaming press (CNN), etc), get on Steam, or get on one of the consoles.  And rightfully, to make a big deal with your game, your game has to be a big deal.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
RedKnight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 06:30:28 AM »

Wave the american flag.
Use the Send our troop home and We don't friendly fire stickers
 :D
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:07:15 AM »

There's always the route of pure deception, as described in this thread.

/desperatelytryingtorevivethisdiscussion
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 10:12:15 AM by BMcC » Logged

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 10:21:15 AM »

I can only tell you how to make a roguelike game popular(*) Tongue. As for the other kinds I have no idea... yet.

(*) Talk about useless knowledge ^_^

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 12:14:22 AM »

You can get your game mentioned on every site in the universe and people still won't by it if it's not a product that is worth their money.  So really, (imo) it's not a matter of finding a group of players that want to enjoy games as art so much as you should make an artful game that is appealing and fun and does what it's supposed to do incredibly well.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 12:26:03 AM »

I can only tell you how to make a roguelike game popular(*) Tongue. As for the other kinds I have no idea... yet.

So how do you make a roguelike game popular? Wink
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 12:38:53 AM »

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering myself. The obsessive-compulsive details in those games appeal to my inner collector, but I can't imagine them selling well without nicer graphics (which ruin the details).

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 02:05:47 PM »

Split Kornel's reply into its own thread HERE. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic