Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 02:40:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Hearts - New Endless mode added in 1.1
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Hearts - New Endless mode added in 1.1  (Read 53817 times)
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2011, 02:35:10 AM »

Ohw man that voodoo <3
Chris Pavia
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2012, 01:01:53 PM »

Ohw man that voodoo <3

Glad you like Smiley I've got the palette swapped version that I like a lot more, I'll post it sometime soon. His special attack is getting rapid-fire pierced by all the pins on his back, doing a large amount of chip damage to the whole party.

In other news, I wanted to share some of the awesome music Sam English has been working on for the game:

Varmit Hunters by Sam English

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »

That music sounds perfectly fitting to what I've seen so far!  Grin
Chris Pavia
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »

Can't think of anything better than a game that's all battle music  Cool
Chris Pavia
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2012, 03:45:53 PM »

Here's the "upgraded" version of the Pin Cushion enemy I mentioned in a previous post:

And some new guys:

Currently working on dark dopplegangers of the party members. I'm about half way through the enemies, although the rest are much more complex.
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »

Amazing characters. im loving the voodoo guy!

Chris Pavia
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »

Children of the corn! Or just doppelgängers.

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 02:45:22 AM »

Amazing style as always. I think I just fell in love with the slime.
I wish you would show more "howtos" , "walktroughs" and conceptart on the blog though.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 09:31:57 AM »

I wish you would show more "howtos" , "walktroughs" and conceptart on the blog though.

The main reason I don't is that I usually only get to work on the game an hour or two a day at most, so I try to be as productive as possible. And for the sake of time I don't do any in-depth concept art. I do a couple quick doodles in my sketchbook to work out the proportions and main design elements, then do the rest of the concept work on the model itself after I've modeled and unwrapped it. This is easier because the textures themselves are pretty simple (except when I go overboard like with the slimes).

I'll try to snap more pics throughout the process though, that much shouldn't be too time consuming.

My general process is this:
1. find reference (mostly from Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy 4 & 6, and Chrono Trigger)
2. Doodle quickly (often during lunch at work) in my sketchbook until I get a silhouette and proportions that I like
3. Start modeling, continuing to play with proportions as I go, making sure that there is an overall silhouette shape/flow to the whole model from the player's fixed perspective
3a. For the sake of speed, I try to stay in the 500-1k triangle range for enemies
4. Unwrap, throw in a couple lights and bake the lighting to texture
5. Doodle over the model via the diffuse texture for details
6. Choose 1 or more 2-3 color palettes (I love Kuler!)
7. Complete texture (diffuse only in game).
7a. I usually set the baked lighting layer to Multiply for the base texture then add/subtract to it as needed to bring out important shapes.
7b. Do a Hue/Saturation adjust on the lighting to make it the shadows a color complimentary to the overall color scheme. When making shadows, I always try to avoid having the shadow color be just a darker version of the main color. For example I tint the shadows dark red on skin, and bluish on green materials.

If you've got any specific questions, feel free to ask!
Chris Pavia
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »

I'm thinking of throwing this guy that I made a while back in as a rare enemy.

I wonder if this is unique enough not to cause problems, or if I should at least change the color scheme?
Chris Pavia
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2012, 06:38:48 PM »

Quote or no Quote?

On enemy rarity:
When the player defeats a new enemy for the first time, it will thereafter show in their Bestiary. Whenever the player goes into their Bestiary, they can see all the creatures they've defeated so far (including art and some flavor info for each) vs how many remain to be discovered. For people who care about achievements, there'll be one for completing the Bestiary.

Hmm, as I was typing this I had the idea that it would be much cooler to have the Bestiary be an actual environment the player can navigate through instead of a plain old menu. Hmm, maybe if time permits...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:40:56 AM by Chris Pavia » Logged
Chris Pavia
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2012, 01:02:09 PM »

Almost done with this guy

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2012, 01:16:41 PM »

amazing! I love seeing all the new mobs! mind blowing!

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »

I love your art style!!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2012, 03:51:09 PM »

Agreed, the models, colours and textures are superb!  Kiss
Chris Pavia
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2012, 05:11:51 PM »

Thanks everyone!
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2012, 09:54:32 PM »

That wizard looks sweeeet!  Grin
Chris Pavia
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2012, 09:13:11 PM »

I put a bit more detail into the spellbook and called him done. The sketchbook shot is pretty blurry due to a very old phone camera. I tend to concept on/with the model more than on paper.

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2012, 10:08:57 PM »

Oh god this is back today is an awesome day.

I guess I'm a tad bummed there's no procedural dungeon, but oh well. Sometimes games are easier to do when you cut them down a bit.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 06:21:46 AM »

If its any consolation, I plan on fleshing out the proc gen dungeon part into a game of its own within the same world.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic