Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:40:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGriddy RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Griddy RPG  (Read 8159 times)
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:53:26 AM »

What is it?

A turn-based role-playing game that takes place entirely on a grid. It features a simple combat system with three stats: Health, Attack and Defense. The player progresses by collecting gold and using it in shops to upgrade these three stats. Upgrades gradually cost more with each point, to encourage the player to seek out new and more rewarding challenges.

The "Excuse Plot" of the game is that your hero is looking for a dragon that terrorizes the land. You have heard that the dragon lives deep within a volcano, and you must go on a long journey to find and deal with this threat.

Who did this?

The code, sprites and some music were created by me (Nillo). Additional music was created by Watermelon, and the menu artwork was drawn by NessStar3000. Both Watermelon and NS3K have also provided a lot of feedback and playtesting during the game's development.

What does it look like?

Where do I download it?

You can download Griddy RPG 1.01 at one of the links below.
Griddy RPG v1.01 on MirrorCreator
Griddy RPG v1.01 on MediaFire

Optionally, you can get any of the following:
Griddy RPG v1.01 without music (smaller download) on SolidFiles
Griddy RPG v1.01 without music on MediaFire
Red Mage sprite by NS3K - to use this, save it as "hero_5.png" in the data/graphics/hero folder, and then select it as your character in the main menu.

The game runs on Windows (or a Windows VM) and requires DirectX 9.

Other stuff!

In this game I wanted to create something that is simple and fun to play while also limited to my programming knowledge at the time. I set goals for myself and succeeded in reaching them. All things considered, working on this game has been fantastic.

The game is now completely finished and includes all levels and a full soundtrack. Let me know if you have any comments or specific feedback!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 10:37:09 PM by Nillo » Logged

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Maunomau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 09:29:34 AM »

I wanted to check the name of the second area after reaching lab so I started a new game but it overwrote my save even though I didn't save!
Anyway can I change the keys? I'd rather use wasd than arrow keys. Also I'd prefer if new lines appeared at the bottom instead of top as it took a while to even realize that they don't.

Does it matter what weapon I choose at the beginning or is it just visual?

I think having repeat on by default might be better.

Also I'm not really sure but I think having some non monster/item thing in the first 3 areas would be good to make it clear that it is possible to have such things so that the fact that lab has lots of them doesn't come as a such a surprise.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:45:19 AM by Endymion » Logged
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:10:53 AM »

This is exactly the kind of feedback that I need. Thank you very much  Smiley

I have tried to implement custom controls but it is difficult to do. It's definitely on my to-do list! I just don't know how long it will take for me to figure out a good system.

As for overwriting saves on game start, I think that can be fixed pretty easy. I'll look into it.

Choice of weapon at the start is just visual. Some of them also change the hit message (for example the staff weapon changes it to "blast" and crossbow changes it to "shoot") but it's all flavor purposes and won't affect your combat abilities in any way.

What kind of objects would you like to see in the first three areas of the game? I've considered it before, but I don't think it would make sense to have something like an unlockable door or a force arrow in the forest/swamp/snow areas. They're things that you can only really find in weird places like inside a lab.

Maunomau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »

The stone before the invisibility potion in the snow area could function like locked door or something and there could be icy bits that you slide on or some kind of magical teleporter could work too.
Swamp could have damaging water(although mushrooms kind of fill that role already) and maybe some kind of weird plant like doors/walls that require a "line" on the ground to a mushroom or some kind of bamboo walls/doors that extend or retract when a switch is flipped(the idea being that sometimes you can't have all of them retracted at the same time).
First area could have pushable or breakable boulders and/or maybe a small building with a locked door.
Pasty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 04:28:20 PM »

man, this looks awesome. reminds me of chip's challenge. as soon as i can find the time, mark my words  Beer!

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 07:20:59 AM »

Well, would you believe it? The game is done.

Endymion, I've made a number of changes to the game based on your feedback. There are now pushable boulders in the Snowy Fields and a house with a locked door in the first area. I also added some helpful signs that explain parts of the game to new players. Unfortunately, I could not add a custom controls system, as such a change seems just too advanced for me.

Aside from that, I've added a full soundtrack composed by Watermelon, and an all-new achievements system. This will hopefully provide some additional challenges for the most dedicated players to overcome.

So, does anyone know how I should get the word out about this? I'm kind of excited about finishing my game, but I have no idea how to proceed from here...  Smiley

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:17:18 AM »

Small bug fix update. It's now possible to return to the main menu from the game layout by pressing Escape. It was previously impossible due to an error.

Ricomu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 12:58:26 PM »

This actually looks pretty cool. Downloading now.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 05:04:39 AM »

Not to be confused with the AAA pre-order exclusive MMOJRPG from squarecirclesofthard "Gritty RPG"

Really tho this looks nice.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 05:36:54 AM »

Haha. I'll be honest, the only reason I named it Griddy is to make sure that my game is the first result if you search for it on Google.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic