Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:24:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsValchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Valchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2  (Read 94131 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2011, 12:54:18 PM »

Hey. So, I have been working on a game called Valchion for awhile, and I think it's time to give it a devlog. I would have liked to have a log for it when I could get a demo out, but I think a demo will be VERY close (probably just to have gameplay, not actual plot and stuff).

EDIT: (NOTE that there is an actual demo below.)

Valchion is a 3D game made in the vein of older retro Game Boy Color games - games that featured top-down graphics and bright, colorful graphics. For example, Link's Awakening is one such game. It will take a page from that game in that there will be a primary and secondary item that the Player will be able to equip at any given time (i.e. a pistol and a rope, or something like that). Such item-swapping will hopefully give the game some strategy (i.e. which is more important to have - a support item (like a health pack :O), another weapon, or an added ability?). It's being made in the Blender Game Engine.

This game will aim to be a Metroidvania / action-adventure type of game, in that there will be items and weapons to collect and use, alongside fast-paced shooting action. Here's a video showing what I've got so far.

~Devlog Video Playlist~

Welp, that's all for now.

If anyone could tell me how to embed YouTube videos in here, I'd appreciate it. :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~ DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO ~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE: Hey, so this is suspended. The only demo is here, I think.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:15:40 AM by SolarLune » Logged

Chris Pavia
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 01:54:19 PM »

This looks like it could be pretty cool! I like the style you're going for, but be careful because things look pretty busy in some places (like the brown building at top center), and it's kind of hard to tell exactly what's going on there. This is just from the screenshot though.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 02:28:03 PM »

Yeah, it is pretty busy-looking. Thanks for the input - I'll probably tone down the brown building to make it easier to see the entrance. You actually can go into it right now, which is kind of a problem, because it doesn't look like you can (my brother mentioned that), so your input's probably absolutely correct. Thanks!

Mef
Level 0

8 bit massacre!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »

I think that apart from making it "less busy", You could do two more things to keep the visuals more appealing:
- avoid placing anything diagonally (like those barricades or something) - it breaks up the fun pixelated look.
- work on more textures like this lighter patch of ground with dark outline in top right corner and avoid those fuzzy dark ones with lotsa noise like in the very middle of this picture.

I'd go for something more simplistic for walls, check that out:

One tile, a row and a larger space filed with it.

"Stand rigid for the next battle
Peace means reloading your guns
The love for life is all hatred in disguise
A carnival creation with masks undone"
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 04:49:52 PM »

1. Yeah, diagonally placing things can break up the look. But sometimes GBC games would have diagonally placed objects - of course, they were all in square tiles...
2. The darker ones are harder to read and less 'true' to the original GBC look - you're right about that. Perhaps simpler textures and simply placed tiles with rocks and holes on them would be better? Perhaps I will go back to the textures... I don't want it to look cruddy. Thanks.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 10:59:22 AM »

Okay, I made the area in the brown building (a bank) both look less busy and look more 'entrance-like'.

I forgot to change the barricades according to Mef's suggestions, though...

I'm also working on an explosion animation.

EDIT: ... It's still a WIP. :p

Chris Pavia
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 11:43:56 AM »

You should try having your FX (fire, explosions, etc) not use the black outline (either no stroke at all or a colored outline) to separate them from the environment and make them look brighter.
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 02:20:47 PM »

Hey I really love this idea. Here is my input. Smiley

1. The sounds really confuse me, especially the walking. I understand they are totally place holder but it was my first thought while watching the dev-video.
2. agree on the diagonal stuff. It kinda goes against the whole theme of the game.
3. I love the humor of it all.  Smiley
4. Some of the textures confuse me. Some are super grainy while others have a more solid color. I mostly saw this while outside. On the inside of the buildings I wasn't as confused.
5. I really like the classic gbc transitions!  Toast Right
6. I love that your using Blender. I've always like the bge but never been able to make a full game in it.

And I like the new explosion. I think you should leave the black outline in.

I will definitely be following this closely!! Keep up the work! Smiley

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 04:57:02 PM »

@Chris Pavia - Thanks, I think that changing the fire would be good.
@Pemanent - 1. Yeah, the walking sound's pretty bad. The gunshot sounds fine to me though - what do you all think?
2. Yeah, I see. I'll change it right now. Smiley
4. I think I know what you're talking about, but I'm not 100% sure. You mean the solid grey asphalt vs. the pixelly detailed tiles?

The explosion's okay, huh? Now I don't know which to go with. Concerned LOL Just kidding.

Thanks for the rest!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:22:49 PM by SolarLune » Logged

capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 11:27:58 PM »

yeah, i agree that the bank's walls don't really match some of the other tiles around it.
the art style just looks a little inconsistent.

It's looking good though
anonymous
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 12:06:41 PM »

inspiring stuff, I always love games where you can search the trashbins.
as others said, the only crit I have, is making the style more consistent.  Making the textures more pixelatted, less detailed, and brightly colored like that of your main char, getting a nice thick outline around the edges like your main char - basically keeping it true to the style of gameboy color gfx [that's what stands out to me - candy for my eyes]
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm not sure about the outline around the edges of the buildings and other, non-interactable objects, but pretty much every object will be outlined (as you could see).

Better, or worse?

In other news, I tied in the explosion with the normal guard, so that he explodes when you've defeated him. Smiley

There's currently a bug where rolling while targeting will move the Player toward the enemy, which isn't too good. I need to fix that, but otherwise, I think it's time to press on.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:42:53 PM by SolarLune » Logged

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 07:36:52 PM »

Looks great SolarLune! I've found that a vignette makes everything better, have you tried yet?

...and are your tiles and sprites matching up? They seem to be different.

Good luck,
Laxwolf

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
Ashkin
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 09:24:17 PM »

Hello Solarlune, I think this looks lovely.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 09:54:50 PM »

@Ashkin - Hello, Ashkin. Thank you very much.
@laxwolf - I haven't on this game, but I have done a vignette filter before (a black noise plane in front of the camera rotating about). What do you mean by them 'matching up'? The tiles are the same size as the player's sprite (16x16), if that's what you mean. It might look weird because the building's closer to the camera and it's 3D.

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 03:51:56 AM »

@Ashkin - Hello, Ashkin. Thank you very much.
@laxwolf - I haven't on this game, but I have done a vignette filter before (a black noise plane in front of the camera rotating about). What do you mean by them 'matching up'? The tiles are the same size as the player's sprite (16x16), if that's what you mean. It might look weird because the building's closer to the camera and it's 3D.

Must be it. And no need for filters, you could simply make a vignette texture and scale it over the camera.

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »

@laxwolf - Yeah, a texture would be fine.

Okay, so

another devlog video.

EDIT: That gray lump of metal is supposed to be a car... Is it unreadable?  Sad

DOUBLE-EDIT: Didn't post a picture of the park. The trees are far better than the way they used to look, but they could be better.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:24:26 AM by SolarLune » Logged

Mef
Level 0

8 bit massacre!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 06:04:54 PM »

This is absolutely a huge improvement!

Love the trees, overall palette and grass toned down to minimum texture!
All You need in here is some kind of transition tiles between grass (yellow) and dirt (brown).

"Stand rigid for the next battle
Peace means reloading your guns
The love for life is all hatred in disguise
A carnival creation with masks undone"
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 07:35:26 PM »

Thanks, Mef. I'll add those transition tiles right now. I'll have to see about how they should transition...

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 08:26:46 PM »

Man this is cool.
I do like the trees also. Smiley

I think the footstep sounds are better but it seems that sometimes when you move the sound doesn't play. ? Maybe its just me. That confuses me and makes me think the sound is coming from somewhere else and not the player. Seriously though this is very nit picky stuff especially for so early on in development.

I really like your videos and hope you continue to make then. They seem very real and original. If that makes sense.

About the car, I think you should try the car as a 3D model. I'm not sure if that would be better or not. But honestly I didn't even know that was a car until you said it was.

Also, the targeting... I think the type of targeting you use will depend on the type of game you want. To me, and this is 100% personal bias, the directional shooting makes sense in games where the shooting is the gameplay. Such as Binding of Isaac, that game just wouldn't make sense with a targeting system. Where if your game will be more adventure like, or metroid-like such as you said in your first devlog, then a targeting system would make the most sense. Smiley But honestly please take that worth a grain of salt. I'm actually curious to see what other people think.

Anyways, nice progress this looks really fun!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic