Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:12:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsValchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Valchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2  (Read 94104 times)
poe
« Reply #380 on: September 08, 2012, 09:33:59 AM »

So I just worked on polishing things up a bit. I also sprited and programmed another enemy - the Shock Beetle. Shock Beetles are invulnerable, and slowly lumber toward you, only to shock you when you touch them. They also push you back a bit, so they can be annoying on narrow ledges. I might add in some kind of 'lightning bolt' kind of effect, but it's pretty good so far.

Why is everything recently invulnerable :S?
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: September 08, 2012, 07:50:24 PM »

@#Sharp - :1
@LaughingLeader - Thanks a lot! My avatar actually should be in this game. I have yet to sprite the rest of his animations, or really think through his attacks, but he'll be one of many.
@Swaggermuffin - Ha ha ha... Haaa..... I kinda like the name of it.
@poe - The turrets can (currently) be destroyed, too.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: September 09, 2012, 06:45:04 PM »

Okay, so I'm working on the maps some more, and since I've split the game scene up for loading / logic optimizations, it's harder to tell which maps connect, and where they do so. So, I've started on making a map with OpenOffice.Org's Spreadsheet program. It's going alright.

Maybe I'll include a spreadsheet version of the map, or just an image / PDF version of it for reference from users. I probably won't include an actual map in-game, but that would be a good idea, anyway...

As a side note, I've made the player a little more smooth with his movement - now he accelerates and has friction, rather than having fixed motion. It allows for some more advanced techniques to be done, and also allows the Shock Beetle to correctly push you away each time he shocks you. It's pretty interesting, I think.

EDIT: Oh, I also added in a "Burning" status effect. Get caught by the laser, and you'll catch fire! While on fire, your health goes down steadily. It'll last until the fires go out. It won't ever kill you, though (take you down under 1 HP).

EDIT 2: I realized that I still need to place health and ammo refills, separate from enemies. They won't regenerate right away, but will do so when moving from scene to scene (from general area to general area).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 07:52:06 PM by SolarLune » Logged

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: September 10, 2012, 07:42:58 AM »

Okay, so I'm working on the maps some more, and since I've split the game scene up for loading / logic optimizations, it's harder to tell which maps connect, and where they do so. So, I've started on making a map with OpenOffice.Org's Spreadsheet program. It's going alright.

Maybe I'll include a spreadsheet version of the map, or just an image / PDF version of it for reference from users. I probably won't include an actual map in-game, but that would be a good idea, anyway...

As a side note, I've made the player a little more smooth with his movement - now he accelerates and has friction, rather than having fixed motion. It allows for some more advanced techniques to be done, and also allows the Shock Beetle to correctly push you away each time he shocks you. It's pretty interesting, I think.

EDIT: Oh, I also added in a "Burning" status effect. Get caught by the laser, and you'll catch fire! While on fire, your health goes down steadily. It'll last until the fires go out. It won't ever kill you, though (take you down under 1 HP).

EDIT 2: I realized that I still need to place health and ammo refills, separate from enemies. They won't regenerate right away, but will do so when moving from scene to scene (from general area to general area).

I love making little maps/game flowcharts. They're so fun. It would probably be a good idea to have an in-game map or at least some way of helping the player in some small way be able to navigate everything.

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: September 11, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »

Sup. So I haven't really done anything between yesterday and today. Basically, I found a better way to do the water tiles for the dark park area. Before, I would have a water object for each individual tile - that worked fine. The problem, though, was that it was taking a long time to move through the scene with a particularly large body of water. I re-thought my method, and found that all of the water objects were unnecessary, especially since the center water tiles wouldn't animate.

Now, instead of having a lot of individual 'water-center' tile objects, I just make one and stretch it to fit across the scene. It works the same way, and I can just place it slightly below the 'edge' water tiles. It works pretty well.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm working on more maps. :p

Also:

Hah, that's a joke, but I am working on the title screen.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:30:47 PM by SolarLune » Logged

poe
« Reply #385 on: September 12, 2012, 03:11:29 PM »

Looking good, water looks really nice, keep it up Smiley
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: September 12, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »

can i join your team i dont have any practical skills but i promise ill kiss up to your and your game development friends to the best of my abilities and give you guys drives around town and stuff as long as you promise to make tshirts and let me at least take a picture of myself while wearing one

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: September 12, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »

+1 for that title screen bro, DO IT!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: September 12, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »

Thanks guys.

+1 for that title screen bro, DO IT!

I was thinking something more like:

I'd probably do something to make the choices stick out more, though.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: September 12, 2012, 09:42:29 PM »

nope, the first one Hand Fork LeftNinja

poe
« Reply #390 on: September 13, 2012, 12:01:10 PM »

Maybe make the head 3D? I like the second one personally.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: September 14, 2012, 11:16:03 PM »

So anyway, I implemented part of the temporary / WIP title screen. I'm probably going to switch "Continue" to "Load".

EDIT: @poe - Maybe I'll make the head 3D eventually (if I can manage to model it).

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: September 17, 2012, 05:58:08 PM »

Working on save slots.

Nu-Type
Level 1

Pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2012, 08:45:15 AM »

Played the game, found it interesting! I like that you used blender, giving it a faux-retro style despite its 3D environment.

One thing that I really needed to know were the controls since I don't know what does what. Only found X for firing and C for interacting in addition to the arrow movement keys. By the way, I like the rolling anim.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: September 19, 2012, 06:38:10 AM »

Hey, thanks for playing. As for the controls, it's stated on my blog before the download link, and on IndieDB, if that's where you got the download from. I'll probably add a readme or instruction file, though.

Been sick / looking toward working on other projects recently, so I haven't done much besides the save slots. I'll get back to working on this today, though, probably.

Nu-Type
Level 1

Pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 19, 2012, 06:56:40 PM »

Hey, thanks for playing. As for the controls, it's stated on my blog before the download link, and on IndieDB, if that's where you got the download from. I'll probably add a readme or instruction file, though.

Been sick / looking toward working on other projects recently, so I haven't done much besides the save slots. I'll get back to working on this today, though, probably.

Ah ok. I just got hotlinked from here to your blog when I hit the link you have on the first page. I just went ahead and downloaded and started playing without any reading lol. Joke's on me.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: September 19, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »

Today I worked on the ultra ugly beginning of an in-game map. I still have stuff I want to, well, stuff into this feature, like the ability to rotate and pan the map, as well as display where transports lead, but it's a beginning.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 19, 2012, 10:11:02 PM »

I like that sexy blue thing.
poe
« Reply #398 on: September 20, 2012, 12:47:20 PM »

How many maps is that roughly? Looks like a lot Shocked
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: September 20, 2012, 01:05:49 PM »

Today I worked on the ultra ugly beginning of an in-game map. I still have stuff I want to, well, stuff into this feature, like the ability to rotate and pan the map, as well as display where transports lead, but it's a beginning.

What exactly is that blue tower?

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic