Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:59:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsValchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Valchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2  (Read 94055 times)
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 01:08:56 AM »

Yeah I agree with the no cash decision.
As for the need to attack enemies. For me it seems that most of the reason is because they are in your way of the cool items. That is the only reason I would need to attack them.

Also I like the new tunnel. Much better than the old one.  Smiley

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 03:42:29 AM »

Just wanted to agree with liking the new tunnel. Great job on it, the screenshot is looking alot more cohesive now and the graphics are really working better together.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 09:21:25 AM »

Thanks, you guys. In a little update, I found that I didn't do the 'dual item wielding' concept like I wanted. I wanted to have it to be where you can equip any two items at any time (gun and targeting system, jump boots and... whatever else). Turns out I already coded a primary attack button and secondary attack button, with separate dictionaries for both sets of items (weapons, like the Machine Gun, and items, like the Jump Boots). Go figure.  Who, Me? Facepalm

It's cool, though, since this way you won't have anyone spamming grenades and jump boots. Tongue I'll just have to make sure that certain items (like grenades or flare guns) are correctly categorized...

EDIT: In other news, I was going to implement (hack together) play time myself with just a timer, rounding, and some paper clips, but I think that Python could do it for me if I just get the time at the beginning of the game and subtract that from the current time. Hurrah.

EDIT 2: Creating a new date time every frame seems to be putting a slight stress on the logic, so I'm just going to do it myself. I'd be able to split it up, anyway (I know it's possible with datetimes too, but I'm just exactly sure how).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:46:18 AM by SolarLune » Logged

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2012, 11:57:01 PM »

I'm getting a really good vibe from this game. I'm definitely going to keep my eye on it as it progresses.

As it stands, my only complaint is that the ground in the city is really depressing for the eyes to look at. I think it's a bit strange to have all the ground tiles be a dark grey, especially since the buildings and objects are significantly more saturated and seem to be brighter. I think the whole scene would benefit from having a more exciting ground.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »

Thanks, Irock. The ground is asphalt, so I think that it would be gray... Should it be brighter? I think I'll add some grass around to break up the monotony, as well - that should help things out.  Smiley

Here's a small update.

Yeah, it plays a jingle now, which you have to wait until the end of to continue the dialog. Tongue

So, I've got a little more of the GUI, as well - there's now a play-time counter that counts how long you've been playing. As you can see, I also worked on the tunnel - now that I look at it, it looks less broken and crumbling than some sort of tunnel from Cybertron. Facepalm

Maybe I'll get around to fixing that...

Also, I've got a little of the sewers finished. I think the water should be brown or green... We'll see how that goes. I think that I should add some water dripping down, little platforms and pipes and things - you know, make it interesting.

Oh, and the sound - I've got a lot more sounds in the game, and some BGM, too! I currently have two songs - one for the sewers, and one for the town. Smiley

EDIT: You'll have to wait for the devlog video to hear them, though I already used the town's song in a video before this.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 05:50:50 PM by SolarLune » Logged

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2012, 09:13:30 AM »

Thanks, Irock. The ground is asphalt, so I think that it would be gray... Should it be brighter? I think I'll add some grass around to break up the monotony, as well - that should help things out.  Smiley
I concur. I think some grass will improve the overall look of the area.

On an unnecessary note, I implied that all the ground tiles were grey there, but that was just a result of a custom system color profile I was using which made the dirt look grey. After changing to a standard color profile, it looks brown. Grin

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »

Solarlune, just wanted to say I like the tunnel and the inside of it is looking great. Keep it up!

you should add mines under the water that flash a red light when you're close. It could add some tension and difficulty, especially if there are enemies in the tunnel.

- Laxwolf

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2012, 01:05:50 PM »

@laxwolf - Thanks. That idea is brilliant! That would indeed be nice additions - particularly if they were placed in some pretty tough jumps and near enemies. That might make you start sweating. Smiley

Chris Pavia
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »

This is looking super kewl!!
capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2012, 10:47:16 PM »

Aw man, haven't checked out this game for a while.
The newer environments (park/sewer) are looking great
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2012, 11:03:39 PM »

Thanks you guys. I appreciate that. So, here's another devlog video. This one focuses on sound, which is slightly broken because OpenAL (the BGE's sound library) doesn't like my DSP... thing. So, it crackles a little when I recorded it (hadn't thought about that). Anywho:

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2012, 11:21:04 PM »

I love the sound effects.  Smiley
The walk sound is particularly charming.

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2012, 11:21:58 PM »

I especially like the "got item" jingle. The way the bass slides down in pitch at the end was unexpected but satisfactory. It seems to serve as a transition out of the happy "got item" groove back into the more somber atmosphere of the game. Whether that's intentional or not, I think it's great.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2012, 11:44:07 PM »

Yeah I must agree the music is great. It feels great and I'm not even playing the game. The inside of the tunnel looks great also. great great great
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:12:37 AM by Pemanent » Logged

Angelbait
Level 1

SCARY!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2012, 09:12:14 AM »

Solar, this is how a "3D" sidescroller is supposed to feel.  Clean, crisp movement; and fun, tactile combat.  I don't even need to play the game to see that your intended actions are being relayed to the game immediately.  Very excited to get my hands on this! Toast Left Grin

Current: Cows With Guns           BLOG/TWEET/FB
Chris Pavia
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2012, 10:19:39 AM »

Music is sounding great. Did you make it in Sunvox?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:00:08 AM by Chris Pavia » Logged
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2012, 10:56:02 AM »

Thanks everyone.

@Irock - Heh, that was unintentional. I'm glad it works, though.
@Angelbait, Jakman4242, Pemanent - Thanks! Grin
@Chris Pavia - Yep, made it myself in SunVox.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2012, 12:26:27 PM »

This is looking nice, love the chunky gfx!

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2012, 05:31:33 PM »

I love how much character you're putting into it, excited to see more!
And thanks for the SunVox tutorials  Kiss
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »

@eigenbom - You would know, so thanks a lot! :D
@kitheif - No problem, and thanks!

So, I worked on a new map piece - a ruined office building. I think I'm getting better at expressing the destruction.

EDIT: There's some reflective-ness going on in the inside screenshot. The tile ground is supposed to be shiny, so I have a mirror plane set up, but it won't be shiny over the burned / dark areas when I'm finished with it.

Outside:

Inside:

Also, I started an IndieDB page, where you can find a particularly hideous piece of concept art for the city layout. Hurray! :D

Here it is again for good measure:

Next, imma prolly do something with the sewers.  Ninja

EDIT: Which I've already changed by making the water brown.  Undecided So... Yeah. Ninja

EDIT 2: Oh, yeah, I also did something with the enemies so that they respawn after you defeat them if you leave the map. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:47:59 AM by SolarLune » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic