Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:22:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsValchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Valchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2  (Read 94644 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: October 08, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »

@crazyheckman - Thanks. Yeah, I saw that game - I loved the way it looked.

So development is on pause while I work on a separate project - Misshoni. I'm trying to get it at least near completion in a month. Check out the devlog here.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: November 08, 2012, 12:32:25 AM »

Yo, so I'm back to working on this!

So far I'm just finetuning a few things and fixing some bugs. Playing it now, it seems like the player moves too fast, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe I'll try lowering his move speed. I changed the camera bounds to be more accurate. My method for establishing the bounds where the camera should move to focus on the player is to actually get the dimensions of the map object and its offset from its center, and use those values to lock the camera's range. It's not exact, but it works alright.

^ That's also a map that's currently in production. I want to start spreading the maps out more and it's good that I can start trying different methods to stop the player (i.e. the gap in the street forcing you to use the jump boots). I need to just make more maps basically - I'm going too slowly on this part, I think.

Anywho, that's basically it. I'm also coloring the outlines on objects a bit. I should probably work on the bosses some.

Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 08, 2012, 01:49:43 AM »

Damn this game is looking amazing!
The screen transitions are neat, and the graphics in general are really impressive.
You've already got a very nice moody setting. Definatly following the progress of this.
aftslash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: November 08, 2012, 07:43:04 AM »

Glad to see you're back on this project :]
poe
« Reply #424 on: November 08, 2012, 11:45:01 AM »

Looking good as always.
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: November 08, 2012, 12:59:47 PM »

misshoni is nice but please, please  work on soldier of :D

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: November 09, 2012, 10:53:41 PM »

Thanks, guys. I'm focusing on building maps now and fixing bugs. I'll (hopefully) have a new demo out soon for testing, maybe even an alpha release. Crazy

I'm building up that map from before in particular.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: November 11, 2012, 11:53:37 PM »

Today I did some stuff and squashed some bugs.

- I added grenade-throwing sensitivity, so that the longer you hold the key, the further the grenade flies. Useful for setting down bombs. Tap the key and you'll drop the grenade, basically. Grenades take 50 HP, so be really careful with them.

- Worked on the map system. It shows everything now - exits, enemies, containers, and crates. I think I might want to tag certain items or areas as hidden, though, as it currently shows you everything on the map. I now recall that I was going to make an item out of that, so I guess I need to implement it.

- Squashed bugs.

I think I want to add some sort of method to keep the player on platforms unless he actively tries to step off. Just something to keep the player from accidentally falling off, since I changed his movement to be more smooth and slippery. I'm not sure if I'll actively pursue it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:36:33 AM by SolarLune » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: November 22, 2012, 12:31:06 AM »

Haven't worked on this since ^ then, but I uploaded a new video, mainly to show smooth footage with MSI Afterburner. I hope it's alright if I use it, since I'm not using an MSI card. Who, Me?

Here's the video.

Also, anyone can try my site that I've been working on. It doesn't have anything about Soldier Of on it yet, though.

> <
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:04:15 AM by SolarLune » Logged

Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: November 22, 2012, 02:04:43 AM »

youre gonna be big for this game and im gonna tell people that i know you >=D

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
poe
« Reply #430 on: November 22, 2012, 05:22:38 AM »

youre gonna be big for this game and im gonna tell people that i know you >=D
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 22, 2012, 05:54:26 AM »

I will tell people I created this game.

(I'm kidding cool game)
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: November 22, 2012, 09:29:22 AM »

Ooooh man, that was incredible.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: November 22, 2012, 01:21:21 PM »

looking deadly mate

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #434 on: November 25, 2012, 01:26:45 AM »

Working on crates and barrels. I also worked on another map today (that will have crates and barrels on it), but haven't finished it yet. Kind of keep thinking about working on another project - random generation always seems so cool. Corny Laugh Anyway, I'm going to try to do something more impressive tomorrow.

EDIT: Thanks, guys, I appreciate your comments and suggestions. The game wouldn't look or play nearly as cool as it does if it wasn't for everyone's feedback.

Ashkin
« Reply #435 on: November 25, 2012, 01:28:00 AM »

Those are some sexy-looking containers.
solidboko
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 25, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »

Hi ! A friend of mine told me about your game. It interested me because you're using a render that I love and used a lot for about 5 years. I'm using OpenGL in Ruby, never tried Blender engine.

You're doing really great here ! I'm surprised (and in a very good way) with the "new" graphical orientation : your new models are really great and the game will look a lot better if you go on that way. Keep up the good work !

Regards
SolidBoko
Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 25, 2012, 06:58:33 PM »

What #Sharp said.

I got a question: does Blender take a lot out of your computer, with the models you work with? I've wanted to try working with it, but I'm afraid it'll melt my laptop.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #438 on: November 25, 2012, 06:59:49 PM »

surprisingly not it's always run without hogging much resources on the shittiest of pc's for me
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: November 26, 2012, 12:53:01 AM »

Thanks again, everyone.

@solidboko - Thanks. Yeah, I like low-poly 3D pixel art-ish models, though I still want some 2D elements in there. Maybe I'll just have the player and other characters be 2D.

@Swaggermuffin - Like Minnow said, nah, it's pretty easy on the CPU. It can crash from time to time, but as long as you don't try to split a 1000 faces into 4x as many faces 8 times in a row (like I did yesterday Tongue), it won't freeze on you (even then, I could've waited it out... Maybe).

Just improved the block to be the same style as the other objects (lit from the top, shaded on the sides).

I tweaked around with the ground movement for the player. I implemented snapping to fractions of a cell a little while ago, and it works alright (ensures that you don't accidentally fall off stage, for example), but it doesn't work as well as I'd like with moving platforms. I think I'm going to tweak that part of the player's movement a bit.

Still working on that map, though it is coming along. It's going to segue into a dilapidated mall, I think. I'd also like to look into adding flashlights to guards for darker areas. I think it'd be a good idea to see where they're looking. I think it'd also be a good idea to have some kind of targeting laser that they shine so that you can see just how close you are to being shot at.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic