Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:40:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsValchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Valchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2  (Read 94114 times)
solidboko
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 26, 2012, 03:19:16 AM »

Which is what I'm doing too : to keep 2D sprites only for characters, and really LPM models for anything else. BTW, I visited your blog, kinda LOOOVE your other project, the sprites are just awesome. And what a great idea with the dynamic split screen !

Can't wait to see other screens / gif Smiley
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: November 26, 2012, 10:59:18 PM »

@solidboko - Thanks. I might get to working on Misshoni at some point soon (after doing more work on Soldier Of).

I added sight lasers to the guards (it looks better in motion). Now, you can tell a lot easier if you're in an enemy's line of sight. It's useful for dodging bullets. I also added bullet trails - combat's looking and feeling a lot more interesting.

Quickie video here.

Also, that map's getting worked on.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: November 26, 2012, 11:09:33 PM »

gnarly!

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 26, 2012, 11:47:03 PM »

Fast and smooth gameplay <3
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: December 02, 2012, 11:19:05 PM »

So, I'm starting to work on the maps a bit. Something that I noticed from looking at a Super Metroid video walkthrough is that Metroidvania titles tend to not have a huge amount of options open at any given time, though there are still areas you can explore and investigate. I aim to have something similar for Soldier Of. There can be multiple openings, but they shouldn't all head to equally viable routes (where, for example, you'll need the jump shoes to jump through every map). That doesn't lead you in a specific direction, and that's what the Metroidvania genre's about - exploration with a goal and purpose in mind.

I worked on the plaza map in particular.

I fixed the reload bar to be more graphical and less flashy, showing the remaining amount of time before you finish reloading. I'd have liked it to be smaller, but I don't want to mix pixel densities. I could make the bar smaller and have less pixels in it, but I want to keep the detail. I also am working on the map shown below, a warehouse for a mall (I think).

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:24:18 PM by SolarLune » Logged

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 03, 2012, 12:13:23 AM »

So, I'm starting to work on the maps a bit. Something that I noticed from looking at a Super Metroid video walkthrough is that Metroidvania titles tend to not have a huge amount of options open at any given time, though there are still areas you can explore and investigate. I aim to have something similar for Soldier Of. There can be multiple openings, but they shouldn't all head to equally viable routes (where, for example, you'll need the jump shoes to jump through every map). That doesn't lead you in a specific direction, and that's what the Metroidvania genre's about - exploration with a goal and purpose in mind.

I worked on the plaza map in particular.

I fixed the reload bar to be more graphical and less flashy, showing the remaining amount of time before you finish reloading. I'd have liked it to be smaller, but I don't want to mix pixel densities. I could make the bar smaller and have less pixels in it, but I want to keep the detail. I also am working on the map shown below, a warehouse for a mall (I think).

Super metroid is my top 1 favorite game of all time  and i like it most because the game was not linear! Its pretty nice to see you stundy from Super metroid because that game was masterpiece.
antoniodamala
« Reply #446 on: December 03, 2012, 12:24:19 AM »

THIS IS GAME IS SO BRILLIANT THAT CAPSLOCK TURNED ON BY HIMSELF
Ashkin
« Reply #447 on: December 03, 2012, 12:27:34 AM »

Be careful with nonlinearity- the best metroidvanias tend to push the player with an 'invisible hand' in order to get them going the right way- subtle clues and prompts that are taken in subconsciously by the player, redirecting their path so they don't get utterly lost.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: December 03, 2012, 01:22:10 PM »

@beetleking22 / antoniodamala - Thanks.

@Ashkin - Yeah, you're right. I'll have to be sure to direct the player as best as I can. In Metroid, you could just explore everywhere you haven't visited, but I should probably try to make as linear a line as possible to help make it easier. Thanks!

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: December 06, 2012, 02:12:01 AM »

sexy

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: December 10, 2012, 01:26:50 AM »

@Ouren - Thanks.

Arg, so today I fixed up the lighting a bit to be three-dimensional. Took longer than I thought it would, but I'm somewhat happy with the results. Now there's no light bleeding like from the fire in the previous underground picture.

I also added a new item - the flashlight. The flashlight should be a nice tool to help you navigate darker maps. The further in you go, the darker maps will tend to get, as well, which makes it a very useful item to own. I might add an energy bar to it, so that you can't just walk around with it constantly. That might make it a chore to be underground, though, so maybe I'll just leave it the way it is.

's a video showing it a bit more.

I'm thinking of changing the name of the game, as well. Soldier Of doesn't describe it very well, and the main character isn't really trying to be a soldier, but rather is just trying to get through to his little sister in the center of the city (yeah, the plot was changed). I think I'm going to go with a more unique name. Something to think about, anyway.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: December 11, 2012, 11:56:45 PM »

So today I just did some bug-fixing and stuff. The Guard's node map that it uses to navigate was using a poorly designed node-map. I fixed up a debug function to display it using simple cube objects, which led to me using a simple distance constraint on the nodes to fix up the node-map.

It went from this:

to this:

This should allow the guards to follow the player much more logically and without unnecessary detours. If I place enough nodes in the right places, the guards should also be able to get to the player from anywhere. Ideally, the node-map should be simpler than A* pathfinding, more efficient, and more extendable. I think that with the class I made, it's pretty good. It doesn't do everything (like selecting the fastest path; rather, it currently selects whichever path has the least amount of nodes), but it works well.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:08:27 AM by SolarLune » Logged

duo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 12, 2012, 07:58:49 PM »

That nodemap is a great idea! (I thought of something similar myself Wink. It emulates real guards better than a* and is cheaper. You can make it so that the guard can never see more than one or two nodes ahead. This is way more realistic than those distance based god guards that come out of a* algorithms. Good job!
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: December 16, 2012, 08:07:58 AM »

@duo - Thanks.

I've been working on maps, and still have a pretty long way to go, but development's progressing. I've also been working on this:

EDIT: Also, this has been in development for over a year, wow. It's cool to see how much of a difference the game was between today and just a few months ago, though!

poe
« Reply #454 on: December 16, 2012, 08:40:29 AM »

Is that some sort of demon train?
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: December 27, 2012, 12:10:29 AM »

@poe - Nah, it's just a snake boss. Thinking about it now, though, I think I'd like to try that train track area... Some sort of train should be in the game, I think.

----------

Welp, I've been trying to get the guard's AI better, since they can glitch out sometimes. That's still the case, unfortunately. Sad Maybe I should re-think how they navigate. I interrupt their navigation if they have a clear path to the player, but maybe that's not the way it should work...

Anyway, development continues on stuff. I added a description window for items and sized up the inventory.

I think I'm going to change the GUI colors, as well. Maybe something like:

EDIT: Oh, and I remixed one of my songs. I tried to make it sound better overall, but I might end up using both of them in the game. As a side-note, I might end up putting the whole OST up for 'pay what you want', since you'll be able to listen to the soundtrack in-game, hah. You'll already own it - why should I charge extra for that. Just some thoughts, anyway.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:17:48 AM by SolarLune » Logged

rickardwestman
Level 1

--- Visiontrick Media --- P A V I L I O N

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: December 27, 2012, 05:32:24 AM »

The atmosphere in that latest screenshot looks great. I like that it hasn't that much outlines, feels less cartoony compaired to some of your previous screens, though I like them too but this last one looks a little bit better in my opinion.
Would love to see more of that Smiley
Keep up the cool work!

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 27, 2012, 06:32:50 AM »

Loving the progress!  Kiss
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: December 29, 2012, 03:45:07 PM »

@rickardwestman - Thanks. That contrast is good, so maybe I should add more of it or soften the colors on some things.

@kitheif - Thanks.

So, I spent the last two days remaking the GUI with BGUI (a Python GUI module for the BGE) rather than using just textured planes like before, and the result is pretty good, I think. I made 'stretchy windows' that I could set to be pretty much any size and retain their style without blurring (the sides and middles are stretching, though, so any kind of pattern there will look odd).

Here's the re-made version.

Also an Earthbound-ish one for fun, though this one doesn't really match up with my palette, hah.

So I'm going to keep working on the park, and also probably do something with some more characters / things to do, rather than just run around shooting enemies. I was thinking about it, and there are different kinds of exploration games out there. For example, Metroid is mostly about fighting and shooting while exploring, while Cave Story (if you've played it) has more characters and dialog, but also more linearity.

Some games pride themselves on back-tracking to the point of nausea (though if there's secrets and mini-puzzles along the way, it can stay fresh), while others tend to focus on the journey overall (perhaps forgoing the exploration elements in favor of telling an interesting story). I think I want my game to have characters and dialog - more than just the action elements. I need to think about how I can effectively implement them while keeping the pace up when it's action-packed.

Also, I would like to release a demo when I finish up some bosses and place the items around, but that might be awhile, so maybe I'll just release the demo in its current state. I wouldn't really care, but then you'd know what items you get and what they do. :1
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:55:55 PM by SolarLune » Logged

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 29, 2012, 09:02:30 PM »

The new GUI looks much better than the older (ofcourse). Great job SolarLune, as usually.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic