Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:48:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsValchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28
Print
Author Topic: Valchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2  (Read 94102 times)
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: December 15, 2013, 03:03:24 AM »

Those screenshots are sweet! I always liked the experiments with low-res 2D mixed with 3D, keep em coming!
Hand Thumbs Up LeftWinkHand Thumbs Up Right

Just realised there are videos too, it's also looks badass in movement!  Smiley

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: January 01, 2014, 12:48:13 AM »

Hello!

Sorry for not posting a lot, but I haven't been working on this until recently. Seems like I keep getting distracted by other ideas and stuff.

Thanks a lot for the support, you guys.

@louisdeb - I have an idea for Misshoni, but I doubt I'll get back to it anytime soon.

I really want to finish this. Like, REALLY want to. I'm going to try to figure out what to cut or leave, or whatever to get it done.

Here's a small gear for a new area I'm working on. Now that I've started, it seems like it won't be so hard.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: January 21, 2014, 01:14:05 AM »

Yo! Sorry for not posting more often. As usual, I've been lacking any determination to work on this for awhile. I kind of stalled on creating the game world - which areas blend into which other areas, what items are necessary to proceed in each, which items you find, etc. I've found it really, really useful to write up a little GDD explaining just some basics of the game that I'm struggling with. By doing this, I've found it has helped me to focus my development considerably. I can write down my ideas for the map locations and puzzle ideas, which makes it easier to envision the game.

Right now, I'm pretty far along in the game's progress - I've got the general length of the game planned out (how many zones there will be), and I think I've implemented all of the items that I'll need. I think at this stage it's just a matter of designing the maps, designing any extra minor enemies necessary, modeling and coding the bosses, and writing the outro. It's been a really eye-opening experience in making this and sticking to it - I think learning how to overcome laziness is a big issue for me, and I think I'll be better at fleshing out games more quickly because of Valchion.

Anyway, I hope to post more often.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 21, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »

It's cool to see someone talk about personal development as well as game development. One of the reasons I make game is because it's the best way I see to explore myself and communicate that to others.

As for laziness, that's difficult. I think laziness is especially difficult with gamedev since the physical act of being lazy, sitting in front of the computer, is almost the same as the physical act of not. The only difference is mental.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 21, 2014, 07:55:23 PM »

Anyway, I hope to post more often.
  Smiley
excited for updates man, hope you conquer the pains of being human!
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: January 24, 2014, 01:03:36 AM »

Yo! Thanks a lot, you two. I hope to figure out some sort of alternative for getting around my laziness. I hope to post regularly here, even if there's nothing interesting to say.

Today, I tried a bit to figure out why the GPU was working so hard. Turns out I was drawing the GUI twice over (face-palm), but it still is working harder than it should somehow. Drawing a single map takes 5% of the total processing time, while drawing a map with the player and a few other objects, along with the GUI, takes far more (around 70% before I found out I was drawing the GUI again unnecessarily). Optimizing is important, of course; I'd like it to run 60+ FPS at all times, but maybe it's not possible, or maybe it's my graphics card + driver. Kinda hard to tell.

In any case, maybe I'll get some headway tomorrow. I think I'll try making some more technical videos (showing the dialog system, the inventory system, etc.) to keep up updates on YouTube, too. Thanks for reading!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: January 25, 2014, 01:30:34 AM »

A bit of a copy + paste from my blog:

Today I worked on refining maps and adding a block that you can shoot to roll around. The block will have puzzle applications, mainly, and will probably be used mostly in the sewers / subway zones. Seeing it makes me think of a large, heavy block that requires something a bit more powerful to flip. That might be an interesting mechanic.

I waver a bit when it comes to consistency for the "forward edge" areas of the maps. You should be able to see walls and things on maps, but they can obscure the visuals of the closest edge on maps, which is why I've been leaving them out (and so it's just kind of a "cross-section" visually where the map ends). Not having walls can be problematic, however, since there are bottomless pits in the game, so you don't know automatically where you can and can't step. Maybe I'll have some sort of holographic warning plane to tell you where you can't / shouldn't step.

I also optimized the GUI drawing code a tiny bit. I found out that I was drawing the GUI multiple times (once in the overlay scene's pre_draw, and another in the scene's post_draw). Cutting one of those out helped to keep the game running at 60 FPS on my computer. However, I'd like it to have a lot of buffer when it comes to FPS - this game isn't really that visually demanding, so I want to continue to try optimizing to eek out as many frames as I can.

yui_jegnan
Level 0

Challenging video games

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 25, 2014, 07:20:08 AM »

This looks very sexy and promising!

Cube and Me Devlog
poe
« Reply #528 on: January 25, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »

I'm biased but I like the way that cube works.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 26, 2014, 06:33:34 PM »

You'll figure something out Solar!
The cube puzzle idea is leegggiiittt  Hand Thumbs Up Right
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: January 29, 2014, 12:21:10 AM »

Thanks, guys.

@tertal - Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. Perhaps just make the areas with drops obviously lead "down".

Today I worked on maps. That's pretty much where I am right now, so there's not really anything much to say about it.

I actually mostly implemented the snake boss from before some time ago; just need to refine it a bit.

I also refined the guard AI a bit to allow for side-stepping if they're going to run into each other. Currently, it checks a list of all enemies on the map to see if it's rather close to one. If so, then it rotates the movement vector to allow the guard to "side-step" other guards / enemies. Now I can "safely" have more than one guard per map, which is nice.

Anyway, I'm going to try modeling and texturing another boss soon; maybe in the next few days, as well as finish up the first boss and start on the second (as well as finish up the sewers).

mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 03, 2014, 06:01:36 AM »

I used BGE for a couple of years and I'm super impressed by this
can't wait to play this when you finish it

alex pang
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 06, 2014, 01:24:31 AM »

following :D

Follow me on twitter @alexolsenpang
Mr.Blue
Level 0

Hello.

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 06, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »

Wow, that's actually really cool looking.
Style is nice.  Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: February 06, 2014, 07:02:27 PM »

This devlog's been going forever, finish the game already! Wink

retrostark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #535 on: February 07, 2014, 05:21:36 PM »

I really want to play this  Shocked

Toast LeftWizardHand Metal Left
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: February 07, 2014, 05:54:04 PM »

This looks really neat. Very unique visual style.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: February 11, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »

Thanks guys!

@eigenbom - U2

I'm working on the snake boss now. I coded his main behavior a long time ago, but just now am actually finishing it. Having some trouble getting him to work correctly. I think I dislike making bosses the most, though this boss is so old, I would have coded him differently now, so maybe it won't be as bad for the next ones. :<

In other news, I'm on Patreon now! Maybe if you pledge a couple of bucks, you'll get cool rewards like early access to games and free album downloads (of albums I make, of course). Anyway, check it out!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: February 15, 2014, 12:31:56 AM »

Still rough, but another boss for Valchion.

I finished the snake boss (basically, at least). Just have to put some more particles on the ground for when he slithers along. I also found a pretty large amount of bugs, which is greeeeeeeeeat. I should try to fix them tomorrow. Anyway, some stuff was done. I also make another SunVox tip video today, which is cool.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 18, 2014, 05:03:37 PM »

Smiley Good job, I love your 3d work.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic