Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:55:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesCave Story Rumors
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Cave Story Rumors  (Read 16606 times)
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 05:40:08 AM »

INTERLUDE

kYn: Awesome avatar. That is all.
Thank you, I also like your avat-OH WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING

Posting some Chaco so I won't derail this thread
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 09:13:31 AM »

I heard that Cave Story 4 would be set in the pokemans universe  Gentleman
From what I hear, Cave Story is from the Sonic Universe. Quote is the Metal Sonic who gets beat up by Knuckles in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and he drops to the Angel Island (yeah, the floating island in S3&K, coincidence?) slumbers losing his memory in the process, and the mimigas are all of those sonic's furry friends who are being turned into robots by Robotnik/Eggman.

To me this makes perfect sense.
And the core is actually and organic Arsenal Gear.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 11:43:06 AM »

On a tangential note, does anyone know if Cave Story is as popular in the Japanese indie/doujin game scene as it is in the west?

Cave Story

@doomlaser, mark johns
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 12:32:08 PM »

I heard that Cave Story 4 would be set in the pokemans universe  Gentleman
From what I hear, Cave Story is from the Sonic Universe. Quote is the Metal Sonic who gets beat up by Knuckles in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and he drops to the Angel Island (yeah, the floating island in S3&K, coincidence?) slumbers losing his memory in the process, and the mimigas are all of those sonic's furry friends who are being turned into robots by Robotnik/Eggman.

To me this makes perfect sense.
And the core is actually and organic Arsenal Gear.

And I think we all know who the G.I. behind Colonel and Rose really is:

c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 12:55:38 PM »

On a tangential note, does anyone know if Cave Story is as popular in the Japanese indie/doujin game scene as it is in the west?

I've always wondered about the differences between doujin and overall western indie scenes. I mean, sure you've got your freeware heros Kenta Cho & Pixel, but outside of that, presumably the greater scene is filled with games you have to pay for: lots of dating sims, fighting games based on dating sims, and more fan games than you can shake a stick at.  Offhand, I've heard that the Japanese doujin scene is more focused on production quality than originality.

Who's the TIGSource Japanese correspondent? Do we have one?

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 01:00:30 PM »

Well, Shih Tzu is the guy who translated Cave Story into English.  I dunno if he's on the forums, but he comments on the frontpage and hangs in irc.... and then there was that guy who was a club DJ in japan for several years.

@doomlaser, mark johns
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 04:48:51 PM »

GuysGuys!

[CRACKPOT LEFT-WING IDEAS]

That's it, dude. That's it.

Kinda like the WildTangent Orb (http://www.wildgames.com/console) except good.

We really, really do NOT need any more games called "Chicken Invaders 2 - The Next Wave Christmas Edition". Seriously, who the fuck would make a game with that title?

olücæbelel
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 05:38:43 PM »

Actually, the game is being ported by an American developer who purchased the license last year. A cover was 'leaked' yesterday. The Knights of Ni are pleased with all the shrubberies in the game, so it seems like we really have something to look forward to here.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 06:13:49 PM »

Actually, the game is being ported by an American developer who purchased the license last year. A cover was 'leaked' yesterday. The Knights of Ni are pleased with all the shrubberies in the game, so it seems like we really have something to look forward to here.

Kiss

Is the American developer planning to change anything from the original? Nothing looks different from here.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 06:32:37 PM »

Dude, she's totally wearing too much, she should drop the shoulder pads.

olücæbelel
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 07:14:03 PM »

Except for the flag, Quote, the girl (Curly?), and the subtitle,

You know, I forgot what I was saying. The idea of a CS cover contest/art compo blew my mind.

Also, those bats are awesome and you know it.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 07:22:19 PM »

Hmm, it should have an Americanized name though.  Something like God of Caves, or C.A.V.E. in all caps...  Strike Force: CAVE

@doomlaser, mark johns
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 07:27:14 PM »

Awesome
 :D
but eyebrows are not angry enough.
Also the hero should be doing a backflip on a skateboard or something :D

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 08:34:52 PM »

Honor and Duty, in a world, on fire... Two brave souls, risk everything, to ensure the freedom, of their people. Comingthisfallforxboxthreesixtyratedmature.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 11:29:15 PM »

Arne, you are too cool for words.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2008, 01:58:18 AM »

Gotta love Space Marine Quote Cave Story
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2008, 03:22:27 AM »

I've always wondered about the differences between doujin and overall western indie scenes. I mean, sure you've got your freeware heros Kenta Cho & Pixel, but outside of that, presumably the greater scene is filled with games you have to pay for: lots of dating sims, fighting games based on dating sims, and more fan games than you can shake a stick at.  Offhand, I've heard that the Japanese doujin scene is more focused on production quality than originality.

I'm not sure commercial games are any more common in the Japanese indie scene than in the Western one. It's just that the games which tend to be most famous tend to be commercial, so you may not hear about all the more amateur free ones there. Nigoro is another example of a Japanese developer who makes freeware (well, technically ad-ware, because they're Flash games and those tend to make some money through traffic). But what I mean is: I'm sure that in Japan they mainly hear only of the commercial indie games from the West, like Aquaria, Braid, Mr. Robot and the like, since those tend to have the highest profile.

c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2008, 09:08:21 AM »

The true about the Japanese indie scene is out!
Straight from Kenta Cho's mouth too!

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2008, 10:58:48 AM »

I love how the enemy grunt thingies are staring at Curly's boobies.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2008, 11:20:44 AM »

The true about the Japanese indie scene is out!
Straight from Kenta Cho's mouth too!

That's a great interview, thanks for the link. It brought up something important about the Japanese games market -- buying things online is very rare in Japan. Almost nobody has a credit card there, whereas here almost everybody has a credit card. So indie games there are either freeware or sold in specialty stores and comiket. When I bought a copy of Shoot the Bullet, I couldn't buy it online, I had to import it from Japan -- the shipping cost more than the game itself.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic