Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:25:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesCave Story Rumors
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Cave Story Rumors  (Read 16604 times)
Radiant
Level 1

...and we are the Dreamers of Dreams.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2008, 01:39:01 PM »

Supposing the rumor's true, there's one fun consequence:

Speed runs.

If it runs on a console in 2D, it'll run in an emulator. If it runs in an emulator (and has enough cult classic factor, which Doukutsu certainly does!) then people will speedrun it. And I don't just mean the hell level, I mean all of it. That'd be fun to watch. I don't think there's any sequence breaking in the game, but there might be...

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2008, 02:11:11 PM »

*head explode*

it'd be nice to have a real story, with a studio attached, though.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2008, 02:45:43 PM »

I just wish people would leave Cave Story alone. It's an epic game. I don't know, console rumors have been around for like two years. I just wish it'd stay the way it is now, and not end up with enhanced HD graphics, or addons that pixel has no authority over.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2008, 07:06:28 PM »

Doesn't need a port.  It perfect already in every way  Cave Story
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2008, 08:32:06 PM »

I just wish people would leave Cave Story alone. It's an epic game. I don't know, console rumors have been around for like two years. I just wish it'd stay the way it is now, and not end up with enhanced HD graphics, or addons that pixel has no authority over.

what the..? why would get this 'treatment'  i think it will just be a port.  and it'd be nice to play it on a console..  i trust pixel wouldn't allow for any of that garbage.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2008, 08:37:52 PM »

Hopefully.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2008, 08:41:32 PM »

no hesitation.

Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2008, 02:59:59 PM »

What's the difference between playing it on a console and playing it on a computer anyways? Some people say it's because they want to play it with a controller, but if you're like me you've already bought one of the many usb controllers available (which is what I used to play Cave Story in the first place)
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2008, 02:20:16 AM »

What's the difference between playing it on a console and playing it on a computer anyways? Some people say it's because they want to play it with a controller, but if you're like me you've already bought one of the many usb controllers available (which is what I used to play Cave Story in the first place)
I would love to answer this to you but I have no idea why I prefer playing on a console, and yes I have a controller and sometimes I play PC games in a TV screen but the feeling is still not the same. It's just a feeling of displacement, like we're not supposed to be playing on the PC, maybe I'm just crazy, maybe consoles have some special chemicals that triggers endorphins into our brain, maybe I just need to take off my nostalgia glasses.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2008, 02:36:53 AM »

It's just the same as playing old NES games with emulators - You don't get that same feeling, for example because you don't get the blur that a good old CRT-screen brings you.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2008, 03:37:38 AM »

I've played Cave Story on a computer that was hooked up to a telly. I felt like I had achieved an experience that was close to playing the game on a console. So maybe instead of pining for a console port of Cave Story we should all just buy small form factor PCs instead.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2008, 05:44:39 AM »

It's just the same as playing old NES games with emulators - You don't get that same feeling, for example because you don't get the blur that a good old CRT-screen brings you.

There are blur filters which emulate this very well though, and good NES emulators have them built in. Usually you have to enable them though.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2008, 06:52:23 AM »

Unless you route your monitor to your TV. Which I do. My PC is my console. Got the wireless controllers and I play on the couch. Just beat Lego Indiana Jones with my wife that way.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2008, 12:18:24 PM »

There are blur filters which emulate this very well though, and good NES emulators have them built in. Usually you have to enable them though.

But blur filters aren't the same thing at ALL. Really.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2008, 12:25:53 PM »

But blur filters aren't the same thing at ALL. Really.

I don't know, I recently saw a page comparing one of those filters with the real thing, and it looked pretty much indistinguishable. Can't find the page right now, unfortunately. A lot of it is probably psychology. I guess I'm much less affected by nostalgia myself because I never had a console as a child, the only thing I had was a Gameboy. Sad
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2008, 04:56:20 PM »

Indeed it's not the same as you'd have to emulate interlacing also and I don't think any of the filters can do that ATM (although I don't rule it out in the future).
I personally just use the 3D filtering that makes everything blurry. It's very satisfactory. It will never replpace a real console with the games, but I can stack the whole videogame history of the 80s/90s on a USB key.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2008, 07:33:34 PM »

The diffrence is I have a console, why would I spend 100's of bucks on extras for my PC to hook it up to a TV and get a controller set up and everything when... you know I could just turn on my x-box?

Also I've never had to search for a .dll file on a console -_-
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2008, 08:52:44 PM »

The diffrence is I have a console, why would I spend 100's of bucks on extras for my PC to hook it up to a TV and get a controller set up and everything when... you know I could just turn on my x-box?

Also I've never had to search for a .dll file on a console -_-

And where did you get that xbox from? Santa Clause?

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2008, 09:05:54 PM »

JB Hi-fi for $350 bucks.

I uh don't really see why that's relevent.
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2008, 10:10:05 PM »

Sometimes, reading this forum, I feel like the only guy who prefers computers over consoles.

Never noticed that CRT blur you are all talking about. Of course, the last time I played on a TV, was a long time ago with my Sega Genesis.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic