Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:08:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Hood : The Other Story
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Red Hood : The Other Story  (Read 2146 times)
bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2011, 06:27:44 PM »

Summary
Genre : 3rd Person Shooter
Platform : PC(Paid)/Facebook(Free Demo)
Tools Used : Unity3D, Blender, GIMP

Background
Red Hood The Other Story actually was an unfinished game made in 3DGS, I suspended the game by the fact that I lost most of the source code due to virus attack and HDD failure Cry. And the fact that I do flash game afterward.
Now I decided to resurrect the project by using Unity3D since the language is closer to AS3 that I've used to. I was planning to make it on flash player 11 but the game needs RMB(Right Mouse Button) that flash doesn't support(yet). So there it is  Smiley

About the game
The game is a pure action 3rd person shooter with maybe a little platformer and lot of jumping. The game feature a dual targeting that allow player to aim/lock two different target simultaneously using LMB and RMB. I aim the cartoon style since I'm nowhere near a good modeller so non-photo-realistic styled graphics is my only choice Well, hello there!

Milestone
What I have done so far:
-3rd person movement, well actually, Unity3D has pre-made 3rd person controller
-Dual aiming system
-Stupid random moving AI that always shooting at you, never mind this one Tongue

Online demo link(about 1.5MB preloading, I'm surprised how Unity3d zipped a whole 13MB project into tiny 1.5MB file):
http://www.bart-the-13th.comyr.com/RedHood/

And some screenshots:

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:22:36 PM by bart_the_13th » Logged
Theophilus
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »

This is cool.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:40:54 PM »

Indeed. Not bad. I like the fact that it locks onto the enemies rather than force you to keep up with them. It's a cool mechanic. Keep going!

bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »

Indeed. Not bad. I like the fact that it locks onto the enemies rather than force you to keep up with them. It's a cool mechanic. Keep going!
Yep, and each mouse button(left and right) can locks on different target.

Minor update:
- Added handgun for both hand
- Added muzzle flash
- Added simple water, just for test
- Added blood effect when shot
- Added jump animation, but it seems I cant blend it well with the idle/shoot animation like when running/standing Lips Sealed

Demo is updated, link is in the first post Smiley
bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »

Demo Updated

Added animation for moving left/right, and sliding animation, still, can't work the animation blending for some animation...
bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »

Now that I have solved the animation blending, time to move to working the level. Just started to work on the landscaping in Blender last night.
*Demo updated*
[EDIT]
Now I need to research a little bit of to add multitexturing to the toon shader
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:15:36 PM by bart_the_13th » Logged
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 07:41:40 PM »

What was the animation blending issue?  Unity side or blender side?  Did you try out the terrain engine in unity?

I need to get better at animating.
bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 01:13:17 AM »

Well... It was kind of my issue of knowledge actually Wink. I was using animation additive blending before I knew that what I should use is using AddMixingTransform...

I was using unity terrain for the rapid prototyping, but then I moved to traditional model based landscaping since it can't use toon shading, plus I want to use model for the landscape since it will give me more control in the modelling process than in terrain editor in Unity
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 10:46:27 AM »

Well... It was kind of my issue of knowledge actually Wink. I was using animation additive blending before I knew that what I should use is using AddMixingTransform...

I was using unity terrain for the rapid prototyping, but then I moved to traditional model based landscaping since it can't use toon shading, plus I want to use model for the landscape since it will give me more control in the modelling process than in terrain editor in Unity

It'll give you more control, but you won't get the LOD you get from the terrain system.  But the toon shading is obviously a no go for using it.

I was curious about the animation blending for my own knowledge.  I've played around with getting some simple animation from blender to unity but haven't tried blending them yet, its on my todo list.
bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 06:45:43 PM »

Actually, someone has made a working toon shaded terrain somewhere(I believe it's somewhere in Unity forum). I think I can work the LOD thing by switching from hi poly trees to low poly based on their range to the camera.

As for the blending, I use it to blend the upper part of the body(both hand mostly) and the lower part. Like, when you're just running and running while shooting.
Just finished the multitextured toon shader. I use baked normal from blender for the texture blending, so polys that facing upward will use grass texture and those whose not are using rock texture. Though, it seems I need to adjust the threshold to make it look better.  Wink

As usual, demo on the 1st post is updated.

And some updated screenshot:

I really love sliding down the hill Tongue...

The water is animated by shifting the texture

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic