Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 11:18:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: DOWNLOAD- New Version 4/24/11
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 46
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: DOWNLOAD- New Version 4/24/11  (Read 268028 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 06:43:13 PM »

Will large, scrolling levels be possible?
They should be, although I don't have any code in place for that sort of thing, yet.

The engine is interesting indeed. Yet I'm not fully positive about how the dodge system works. For example you can double jump and then dodge up even higher. Another thing is that the character freezes in one place after dodging even when airborne. Maybe in such a case the character should continue moving further in the direction of dodging (a kind of inertia)... And how about diagonal dodging (I haven't noticed if it's feasible now)?
To be honest, I'm not fully positive about it either. I agree that adding a little more inertia would be a good idea. Anyone else have suggestions for making dodging a little more smooth? Or should I remove it entirely?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2008, 06:51:18 PM »

On a completely different subject, who would be interested in contributing art?

I'll start.

But I need to know what.
Well, most importantly, we need sprites for the characters. We're working on Naija first, but I suspect it won't be long before work on more characters begins. The average character should probably be a little under 40 pixels tall. Just getting an idle animation is the most important step, but we'll eventually need animations for each attack as well.

We'll also eventually need portraits for each character (I think 48 x 48 pixels is a good size).

Finally, we will need art for each battlefield. I want to at least get some characters made before we really start working on stages, however.

Oh, and thanks!  Beer!

godsavant
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2008, 07:47:02 PM »

k i'll call dibs on naija's character portrait. That's first on the list.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and what color are Naija's eyes?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:00:22 PM by godsavant » Logged
PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2008, 01:36:21 AM »

Will large, scrolling levels be possible?
They should be, although I don't have any code in place for that sort of thing, yet.

The engine is interesting indeed. Yet I'm not fully positive about how the dodge system works. For example you can double jump and then dodge up even higher. Another thing is that the character freezes in one place after dodging even when airborne. Maybe in such a case the character should continue moving further in the direction of dodging (a kind of inertia)... And how about diagonal dodging (I haven't noticed if it's feasible now)?
To be honest, I'm not fully positive about it either. I agree that adding a little more inertia would be a good idea. Anyone else have suggestions for making dodging a little more smooth? Or should I remove it entirely?
We need some kind of counter to ranged specials so I think we should keep the dodge.

Maybe we could turn off the gravity after the dodge so that the player stays in place for a very short amount of time after the dodge. Maybe we could have some kind of graphical effect like making the character 50% transparent during the dodge and having a transparent after image of where the character started the dodge from. That would give the player some important feedback.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2008, 01:40:26 AM »

k i'll call dibs on naija's character portrait. That's first on the list.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and what color are Naija's eyes?

From what I can see in the bit-blot's banner, their eyes are black. I'm assuming this is derek's official art
PenguinHat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2008, 02:04:00 AM »

What is the size of the blocks in the engine? I don't know, and the pixel artists will need to know before they can start.
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2008, 02:31:32 AM »

Maybe we could turn off the gravity after the dodge so that the player stays in place for a very short amount of time after the dodge.

Well, that's exactly the way it is right now... Wink

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2008, 02:34:27 AM »

Maybe you guys should make a test character. Like, create a generic character that will become the standard for the sizes of sprites, numbers of frame and other technical stuff. Also, you can make a list of all the "states" a character can be in, such as punching, jumping, blocking, dashing, etc... This way, you will know what a full character implies and how much work and sprites are required to create it. It will also answer many questions for aspiring artists who are not sure what to do for those characters. What do you guys think?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2008, 05:29:53 AM »

What is the size of the blocks in the engine? I don't know, and the pixel artists will need to know before they can start.
They're 32 x 32, but the size can easily be adjusted.

Maybe you guys should make a test character. Like, create a generic character that will become the standard for the sizes of sprites, numbers of frame and other technical stuff. Also, you can make a list of all the "states" a character can be in, such as punching, jumping, blocking, dashing, etc... This way, you will know what a full character implies and how much work and sprites are required to create it. It will also answer many questions for aspiring artists who are not sure what to do for those characters. What do you guys think?
I could make a simple test sprite, I suppose.

As far as states go, we have:
-Standing
-Walking
-Jumping
-Guarding
-Hurt

Plus, we'll need sprites for each attack (and dodge, once we get the dodging system worked out).

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2008, 11:40:40 AM »

Wow. I had pretty much written this idea off for a number of reasons. But it's looking good.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2008, 11:55:33 PM »

someone said idle.

k bai.

(heh, this reminds me of my first post - BQ animations.)

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2008, 01:21:46 AM »

The movement of the left hand looks like she's flipping coin on her fingers. Wink

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2008, 01:23:44 AM »

Now this is just sweet
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2008, 04:22:54 AM »

The movement is all very smooth and the double jump feels great. The only thing that I noticed is that the attack felt a little bit cumbersome when attacking repeatedly. It would be cool if there was some sort of combo system to keep this game from being too much of a button masher like SSB tends to be at times. Nothing too complex mind you just simple stuff using no more then 2-3 buttons and the d-pad. Combos could be of three different varieties: speed, power and balanced and use a rock/paper/scissors approach to attack/counter-attack. I think this would mix things up just enough and provide a slight bit of strategy in the way you play the game.

someone said idle.

k bai.

(heh, this reminds me of my first post - BQ animations.)

Very nice btw...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2008, 04:39:14 AM »

I find this mildly creepy.
godsavant
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2008, 04:45:53 AM »

It looks like she's listening to music.

snapping her fingers and bobbing her head.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2008, 07:54:28 AM »

To provide a little more of a guideline, here's a basic Nikujin sprite:

We may want to post Naija's sprites in her own thread, so this one doesn't get inundated. I'm curious about one thing, though: are we going to have dark outlines around the characters, like in Oracle's mock-up? It's a pretty easy change to add or delete.

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2008, 08:03:34 AM »

I always loved hard outlines, in fact I always try to use them, so I'm a little biased saying that I'm all for the outlines in the sprites
PenguinHat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2008, 08:18:37 AM »

Those are good sprites! Personally, I like the outlines, but we should probably put something like that to a vote.

...It would be cool if there was some sort of combo system to keep this game from being too much of a button masher like SSB tends to be at times. Nothing too complex mind you just simple stuff using no more then 2-3 buttons and the d-pad. Combos could be of three different varieties: speed, power and balanced and use a rock/paper/scissors approach to attack/counter-attack. I think this would mix things up just enough and provide a slight bit of strategy in the way you play the game.
Could go into more detail there, because you are being a bit vague.
medieval
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2008, 09:27:25 AM »

The naija idle sprite is not very... idle.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 46
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic