Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 12:58:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: DOWNLOAD- New Version 4/24/11
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 46
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: DOWNLOAD- New Version 4/24/11  (Read 268018 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2008, 01:58:35 PM »

For the sake of comparison, here are the sprites with and without outlines.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:32:59 PM by Nightshade » Logged

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2008, 02:24:12 PM »

Go outlines! Gives them more of a unified style.

godsavant
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2008, 03:35:51 PM »

I dunno, I like unoutlined better, but that way I'm afraid they'll fade into the background and become difficult to see.

Oh, and do all the characters have to be the same size? Again referencing SSB, some characters were much bigger than others, making them easier targets in exchange for increased power; I think that would bring more variety to the roster. Just a thought. Cave Story
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2008, 03:54:01 PM »

Oh, and do all the characters have to be the same size? Again referencing SSB, some characters were much bigger than others, making them easier targets in exchange for increased power; I think that would bring more variety to the roster. Just a thought. Cave Story
I had planned for characters of different sizes. Naked Ninja, Naija and Quote may all be roughly human-sized, but some characters, like Lyle and Gish, will be smaller, and others, like Balrog, will be larger.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2008, 05:39:58 PM »

Maybe there is a middle ground with a more subtle, 1 pixel, outline?  Wink

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2008, 05:50:18 PM »

Big outlines! Bigggg!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2008, 05:54:24 PM »

Yea, the big outlines really give it a nice style.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2008, 09:22:15 PM »

I, too vote big outlines.

The naija idle sprite is not very... idle
no it's just that most idle sprites are too idle. Angry

Or maybe the Naija idle sprite isn't very idle.
O' well it was fun.

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2008, 09:38:42 PM »

I vote big outlines. They are obviously the wolf.

medieval
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2008, 03:14:15 AM »

They look so much more badass with the big outline.

So I vote big outlines.
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2008, 05:23:48 AM »

Big outlines rock my socks. ( Im not actually wearing socks, but they rock without me somwhere in the dark sock world)
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2008, 06:43:03 AM »

Seems it's pretty much settled, then. Outlines it is!

Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2008, 07:03:26 AM »

I vote big outlines. They are obviously the wolf.

Hmm, your hastiness to vote for a quick majority leads me to believe otherwise...cyber95  Cool
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2008, 07:42:09 AM »

I'm still not sure I like the way blocking and dodging works. If we're going to make special attacks unblockable, then it's probably not necessary to put a limit on shielding. Think we should get rid of shield points?

Dodging I'm not sure about at all. Right now, it just moves you quickly to the side, but takes a short amount of time to execute. The main problem with this system is that it's difficult to make dodging useful for avoiding attacks without making it too useful for travel. What do you guys think dodging should do?

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2008, 08:02:46 AM »

Dodging I'm not sure about at all. Right now, it just moves you quickly to the side, but takes a short amount of time to execute. The main problem with this system is that it's difficult to make dodging useful for avoiding attacks without making it too useful for travel.

It seems there is already a short period of time after dodging where the character is effectively frozen. Perhaps that could be made a bit longer.
PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2008, 12:03:15 PM »

I'm still not sure I like the way blocking and dodging works. If we're going to make special attacks unblockable, then it's probably not necessary to put a limit on shielding. Think we should get rid of shield points?

Dodging I'm not sure about at all. Right now, it just moves you quickly to the side, but takes a short amount of time to execute. The main problem with this system is that it's difficult to make dodging useful for avoiding attacks without making it too useful for travel. What do you guys think dodging should do?
We probably should dump the shield hp. One less variable to worry about.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2008, 01:24:25 PM »

Dodging I'm not sure about at all. Right now, it just moves you quickly to the side, but takes a short amount of time to execute. The main problem with this system is that it's difficult to make dodging useful for avoiding attacks without making it too useful for travel.

It seems there is already a short period of time after dodging where the character is effectively frozen. Perhaps that could be made a bit longer.
That was the solution I came up with. However, if we eliminate shield points, dodging will be pretty much useless (except against unblockable attacks), since shielding doesn't stun you.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2008, 04:00:51 PM »

Outlines or no outlines? Brilliant question! Discussions like these fill me with faith that this will be the BEST GAME EVER!

This game is going to be perfect; I just know it. Even in its current state, its beauty moves me to tears.

PS. I really respect your decision to use Game Maker; some people underestimate its power. It's perfect for a game like this, and it's so easy to use that we'll have a finished game in no time.

You guys are so talented and awesome, and I'm honored to have you as my friends. I love you all so much!

Hugs and Kisses,

Skofo

NS: Skofo originally stated that he felt we were spending too much time debating trivial things. He added that Indie Brawl should be made in Java or ActionScript, so people could play it in a browser. He hoped this would get more people interested in Indie Games. As you may have guessed, he didn't say this in such a nice way...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:21:37 PM by Nightshade » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2008, 05:35:21 PM »

Wait, why would people who know nothing about indie games be playing a game with only indie game characters in it?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2008, 05:50:35 PM »

Please ignore the troll.

Let's keep this thread on topic.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 46
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic