Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:11:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: DOWNLOAD- New Version 4/24/11
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: DOWNLOAD- New Version 4/24/11  (Read 266754 times)
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2008, 06:08:34 PM »

Great work so far, gents.  Gentleman

http://xionight.googlepages.com/naija.gif

^ I love it!

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »

Please ignore the troll.

Let's keep this thread on topic.

Awe, someone can't handle criticism? I've said nothing but valid points, don't embarrass yourself like that by calling me a troll.

Wait, why would people who know nothing about indie games be playing a game with only indie game characters in it?

Because it is a fighting game. People like playing fighting games. You didn't think people would only play the game out of the novelty of it having indie game characters, did you? Why would anyone bother playing any non-tributal indie game in the first place otherwise?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:34:12 PM by Skofo » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2008, 06:32:59 PM »

Chill, homies.  Cool

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2008, 06:38:37 PM »

So, I totally want to submit a character, but I'm still trying to understand the damn character submission thread... Grin
Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2008, 07:04:31 PM »

PS. Why are you making this in Game Maker? You'd be able to reach many more people with this if you made it in Actionscript or Java. This game COULD (hypothetically, if this team had any skills beyond a monkey's skill level) bring a lot more people into indie gaming this way, since this is a mash-up of existing famous indie games. Don't you want to attract more people to independent games? Then find a competent programmer and a better-than-abysmal programming language.

How the hell are ActionScript and Java NOT abysmal programming languages?

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2008, 07:14:38 PM »

PS. Why are you making this in Game Maker? You'd be able to reach many more people with this if you made it in Actionscript or Java. This game COULD (hypothetically, if this team had any skills beyond a monkey's skill level) bring a lot more people into indie gaming this way, since this is a mash-up of existing famous indie games. Don't you want to attract more people to independent games? Then find a competent programmer and a better-than-abysmal programming language.

How the hell are ActionScript and Java NOT abysmal programming languages?

Are there any specific disadvantages to Game Maker that come to mind?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:22:23 PM by Skofo » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2008, 07:37:27 PM »

Are there any specific disadvantages to Java and Actionscript? I can name several. I've never used GameMaker, but I have used Java and AS and they are horrible in my opinion. ActionScript is better than Java, but that isn't saying much. That being said I've seen good stuff in all of those languages and I've seen good stuff made in GameMaker so I'm really having a hard time seeing what your point is. You can just as easily make a good game in ActionScript as you can a bad game, same with C++, Java, C#, GameMaker, MMF, etc, etc, etc. So what exactly is your problem?

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2008, 07:55:49 PM »

Are there any specific disadvantages to Java and Actionscript? I can name several. I've never used GameMaker, but I have used Java and AS and they are horrible in my opinion.

Funny. You seem to have understood what my question was, but nowhere in your post can I see any answers. Maybe you should try again.

Why I insist on making the game in Actionscript or Java is not only because they're much more organized and efficient languages, but because you can play the final product in web browsers. Games that are playable in web browsers are MUCH more easily distributed, and if the game is good enough to warrant any attention at all from web-game sites like Newgrounds, Kongregate and AddictingGames, and social networking sites like Digg, Reddit and Delicious, it's guaranteed that it'll be played hundreds of thousands, if not several millions of times within a few months. People are way more willing to play a game instantly in their browser than directly download it. A good game in Game Maker will be seen by a couple hundred thousand eyes tops, and that's if it is really good by Game Maker standards.

If this was made in Actionscript and became anywhere near as famous as say, Newgrounds Rumble or Super Smash Flash, it could introduce thousands (even millions) of people to the existing kickass indie games like Cave Story and Nikujin. Do it for the spirit of indie gaming!

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2008, 08:07:32 PM »

I'd rather have a game I can download once and play whenever instead of a game I have to download every time I want to play it.  Also one that doesn't delete my info whenever I have to clear my cookies.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2008, 08:09:24 PM »

Awe, someone can't handle criticism? I've said nothing but valid points, don't embarrass yourself like that by calling me a troll.
Criticism is one thing. Insulting people by calling them incompetent or comparing them to monkeys is entirely uncalled for.

So, I totally want to submit a character, but I'm still trying to understand the damn character submission thread...
Just make a post saying "____ should totally be a playable character!" The rest of the information in the first post explains more of the details behind the character creation process, for those interested in doing additional work.

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2008, 08:10:34 PM »

Personally I think that the game would be better fit as a solid downloadable title.  I realize the implications of the audience size when comparing a downloadable title to a flash or java game, but honestly when I play a web browser game there's a certain feeling of detachment.  I can't really explain why, but I think it has something to do with the fact that most of the games that pass through web browsers are rather shit.

In my mind, I equate web browser games with stuff like "click a mouse and see how far you threw an object" or endless tetris clones, games that I only play for roughly 40 seconds before hitting back or closing the window.  An indie brawl game is something that would draw me in for hours I imagine, and I'd just rather have the files and an exe on my desktop rather than have the game contained in a web browser.

It's my stance that certain games like click the mouse and watch the number increase are meant for the newgrounds, digg, reddit type audience, where as a indie brawl game that looks like it has the potential for a lot of depth is destined for downloadable form.

I respect your opinion, the audience is huge in the web browser game market, but usually for small quick addicting games, not in depth games.
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2008, 08:14:24 PM »

Cross-platform would've been nice though.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2008, 08:16:21 PM »

Cross-platform would've been nice though.

Right, there's always the possibility of a flash version or something with a downloadable swf.
Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2008, 08:26:30 PM »

Wow, your argument is all over the place.

Let me get this straight, your argument is that the game won't be seen by as many people when made in GameMaker instead of ActionScript or Java, but you have no faith in this game as you stated in an earlier post so again, I'm really having a problem understanding why you are here trashing a game that you have no faith in and then saying that it won't get the exposure it deserves because it's made in GameMaker. You say:

"Do it for the spirit of indie gaming"

in one post, but in a previous post you say:

"This game COULD (hypothetically, if this team had any skills beyond a monkey's skill level) bring a lot more people into indie gaming this way, since this is a mash-up of existing famous indie games. Don't you want to attract more people to independent games? Then find a competent programmer and a better-than-abysmal programming language."

You are just insulting the people currently working on the game. Not really the spirit of Indie gaming now is it? You either have serious ADD or are just looking for an argument. I'm guessing a bit of both.

Obviously, I can't answer your questions in GameMaker because I've never used it. I do understand your point that the game is much easier distributed over the web with AS or JS, but the main point here is the people in this thread are making a game, they are having a good time working and playing together. They are like kids on a playground playing 4 Square and you are the kid that runs up and smacks the ball away from them and laughs. Why are you like this? Hell if I know. If you want people to listen to and respond to your points, maybe you should post them in a more approachable manner. For example "You would reach more people with AS" not "You guys are stupid, find better programmers and use AS". You get more flies with honey.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2008, 08:54:04 PM »

I'd rather have a game I can download once and play whenever instead of a game I have to download every time I want to play it.  Also one that doesn't delete my info whenever I have to clear my cookies.

You always can download Flash games to your computer.

Criticism is one thing. Insulting people by calling them incompetent or comparing them to monkeys is entirely uncalled for.

It's passionate criticism.

Personally I think that the game would be better fit as a solid downloadable title.  I realize the implications of the audience size when comparing a downloadable title to a flash or java game, but honestly when I play a web browser game there's a certain feeling of detachment.  I can't really explain why, but I think it has something to do with the fact that most of the games that pass through web browsers are rather shit.

In my mind, I equate web browser games with stuff like "click a mouse and see how far you threw an object" or endless tetris clones, games that I only play for roughly 40 seconds before hitting back or closing the window.  An indie brawl game is something that would draw me in for hours I imagine, and I'd just rather have the files and an exe on my desktop rather than have the game contained in a web browser.

It's my stance that certain games like click the mouse and watch the number increase are meant for the newgrounds, digg, reddit type audience, where as a indie brawl game that looks like it has the potential for a lot of depth is destined for downloadable form.

I respect your opinion, the audience is huge in the web browser game market, but usually for small quick addicting games, not in depth games.

I totally agree that most of the Flash games out there can be described as nothing other than pieces of half-assed shit created in a couple of days to score a quick buck. This is why I said "A good game in Game Maker will be seen by a couple hundred thousand eyes tops, and that's if it is really good by Game Maker standards.". The average Game Maker game, or really the average independent executable game, is much better, longer and deeper than the average Flash game.

BUT that doesn't mean that that's what Actionscript is limited to! The Flash developer community just happens to like to create simple, buggy arcade games, but in the sea of mostly empty clams there exists a few pearls. See my personal favorites: N, Madness Interactive, and Portal Flash; these games are all smooth and highly replayable (in my opinion). Flash can also use pixel sprites just as easily as vertex sprites (and with the open-source FlashDevelop and Flex SDK, pixels are pretty much what you're limited to), and with the most recent Flash player versions you can play the thing in fullscreen.

But alas, you guys seem to lack a competent Actionscript programmer, and I'm off busy making my own things. But maybe a potential Flash sequel or remake isn't out of the question! Good luck with everything, the graphics part of this project looks hella impressive so far, at least.

Wow, your argument is all over the place.

Let me get this straight, your argument is that the game won't be seen by as many people when made in GameMaker instead of ActionScript or Java, but you have no faith in this game as you stated in an earlier post so again, I'm really having a problem understanding why you are here trashing a game that you have no faith in and then saying that it won't get the exposure it deserves because it's made in GameMaker. You say:

"Do it for the spirit of indie gaming"

in one post, but in a previous post you say:

"This game COULD (hypothetically, if this team had any skills beyond a monkey's skill level) bring a lot more people into indie gaming this way, since this is a mash-up of existing famous indie games. Don't you want to attract more people to independent games? Then find a competent programmer and a better-than-abysmal programming language."

You are just insulting the people currently working on the game. Not really the spirit of Indie gaming now is it? You either have serious ADD or are just looking for an argument. I'm guessing a bit of both.

Obviously, I can't answer your questions in GameMaker because I've never used it. I do understand your point that the game is much easier distributed over the web with AS or JS, but the main point here is the people in this thread are making a game, they are having a good time working and playing together. They are like kids on a playground playing 4 Square and you are the kid that runs up and smacks the ball away from them and laughs. Why are you like this? Hell if I know. If you want people to listen to and respond to your points, maybe you should post them in a more approachable manner. For example "You would reach more people with AS" not "You guys are stupid, find better programmers and use AS". You get more flies with honey.

Who are you to decide everyone's opinion on what the spirit of indie gaming is? I'm arguing harshly because I care. I like the concept of this game, and I'd be more than happy to see it come to be and become an awesome, classic gem among free video games. That is why I'm voicing my opinion so roughly - to attract attention to my arguments and to kick your asses in the right direction.

Consider it pep talk.

When several people collaborate on a game, it's still fun, if not even more fun than creating a game by yourself. But it also becomes a responsibility that you have to uphold. You cannot be slouching off and dragging the rest of your hard-working team down! Especially when it's a game as important as this one: one that could very likely become a favorite among old indiers and the first game for many a new indie gamer, if this is done right.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:13:00 PM by Skofo » Logged

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2008, 09:08:03 PM »

I can't really explain why, but I think it has something to do with the fact that most of the games that pass through web browsers are rather shit.

I agree and do not like browser games.

Flash games are terrible, 99% of the time.
Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2008, 09:32:13 PM »

That is why I'm voicing my opinion so roughly - to attract attention to my arguments and to kick your asses in the right direction. ....... if this is done right.

Who are you to decide what the right direction is? You are so hypocritical and you are all over the place with your argument.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2008, 09:56:50 PM »

I can't really explain why, but I think it has something to do with the fact that most of the games that pass through web browsers are rather shit.

I agree and do not like browser games.

Flash games are terrible, 99% of the time.
yop. I enjoy an occasional quick game but even for the good flash games that manage to hold my attention, they never really do so for long. A couple hours max, like Portal, and then I never come back to them. Even the more fleshed out browser games with unlockables and accomplishments and things beyond high score boards, I never play again, because I'm just like, what's the point? Browser games, even the good ones, just carry this sense of "why the hell am I playing this?"
Downloads, however, I'm much more likely to come back to dozens of times over long stretches of time, even if it's not better than the best flash game I've played.
But if there's a downloadable form somewhere I'll be fine.

So I don't really care what it's made with, as long as I can nestle out a nice little spot on my harddrive for it.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2008, 10:03:43 PM »

That is why I'm voicing my opinion so roughly - to attract attention to my arguments and to kick your asses in the right direction. ....... if this is done right.

Who are you to decide what the right direction is? You are so hypocritical and you are all over the place with your argument.

I'm just pointing out the obvious. You guys are debating little, EASY-to-adjust things like shield HP and whether or not there should be a big, black cock outline around the characters, when it is highly apparent that you guys don't even have the core engine ready (that simple, laggy platform engine does not count). Your focus and priorities are all wrong. There is no way to argue against this. You don't cut bushes with a pair of toenail clippers when there is a pair of shears right next to you. If you spent as much time debating so-far-pointless, so-far-arbitrary topics (you cannot decide how much shield HP there should be or whether or not there should even be shield HP until you see the core game in question) as you did actually developing this, we'd be seeing some REAL progress on this. You guys are practically fooling around with these useless debates, and there needs to be some shaping up unless you want to see the project die like it did back in 2007. Leave room for these little questions AFTER you get a modular core engine finished.

Team projects need to work on a strict priority system to be efficient and to see success. Right now you guys are sculpting ears on a big, rectangular rock prism, instead of focusing on making a general human (or animal) figure.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:10:06 PM by Skofo » Logged

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2008, 10:09:23 PM »

I'm just pointing out the obvious. You guys are debating little, EASY-to-adjust things like shield HP and whether or not there should be a big, black cock outline around the characters, when it is highly apparent that you guys don't even have the core engine ready. Your focus and priorities are all wrong. There is no way to argue against this. You don't cut bushes with a pair of toenail clippers when there is a pair of shears right next to you. If you spent as much time debating so-far-pointless, so-far-arbitrary topics (you cannot decide how much shield HP there should be or whether or not there should even be shield HP until you see the core game in question) as you did actually developing this, we'd be seeing some REAL progress on this. You guys are practically fooling around with these useless debates, and there needs to be some shaping up unless you want to see the project die like it did back in 2007. Leave room for these little questions AFTER you get a modular core engine finished.

Team projects need to work on a strict priority system to be efficient and to see success. Right now you guys are ears on a big, rectangular rock prism, instead of focusing on making a general human (or animal) figure.
Every word you speak makes you sound more like a jackass. If you want to try and make a point, be less arrogant about it.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic