Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:24:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrash TV - Done! Out 23rd Feb!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Trash TV - Done! Out 23rd Feb!  (Read 48447 times)
Cellusious Games
Level 0

Meows. Pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2012, 11:39:59 PM »

Sorry to say :/

but;

F-Secure did report and delete it as a .generic trojan/virus/worm : http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/other_w32_generic.shtml Virus, or is F-Secure wrong?

EDIT: I hope it is wrong, the game looks amazing and i really want to play it Sad

https://twitter.com/Cellusious - Pixel Artist - Concept Artist - 3D modeler - Wannabe Coder - Wannabe Musician.
AileTheAlien
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2012, 05:38:31 PM »

ClamWin (what I use) shows it clean.
Check to see if your scanner program is using a heuristic to detect that.
Judging by the "generic..." message, I'm guessing that it *is*, and may be a false positive.
Check it with some other anti-virus programs to double check, but I'd say it's probably fine.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2012, 08:03:14 AM »

Hey Everyone.

Apologies for the lack of updates, I took a month out of development just for some rest (been working on it over a year solid). The break has been good, coming back with fresh eyes I can see all the changes that are needed.

Today I focused on getting the game more polished for exhibiting at the Rezzed PC event.

Improved the lighting system so that enemies can now emit lights. Hopefully this makes the vending machines more recognizable as a vending machine.

st33d
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2012, 02:29:16 PM »

what is that pixel to the left of the vending machine?

will it kill me?
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2012, 07:20:48 PM »

Liking the look of the vending machine.

what is that pixel to the left of the vending machine?
I'm thinking it might be a bullet the player is shooting at the vending machine Smiley

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2013, 06:48:16 AM »

Originally I wanted to make the game text-less but recently I've changed my mind on text based tutorials.

On the first level the player interacts with objects there is a half broken television which acts as a minor mentor

Naturally players will walk over and attempt to interact with the TV by guessing which button is used for pick up. If too much time elapses after they've made an attempt the TV calls out the correct button to press.

What do you think of the implementation of speaking characters and the minor tutorial? One half of me feels the cheese dialogue will cheapen the experience, the other half feels it'd add humour and charm. Also Trash TV is back into full time development now so I won't be as quiet as I have been.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2013, 01:29:49 PM »

On one hand, I do like the static-y style of the text as it is right now. If you use text, it should be used as little as necessary, and look just like that.

On the other hand, considering the thing's a living television, you could just as well have the corresponding key appear on its screen.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2013, 11:27:35 PM »

I also like the text, though it seems kind of blurry (maybe because of the widely varied colors). It's a cool tutorial mechanic, though.

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2013, 05:08:01 AM »

Video of the text and shader in action.

Met an animator whose excited to work on Trash TV with me, we're going to try out an Machinarium style line drawn thought bubble for communicating ideas. I think that may me more fruitful but this will sit as my plan B.
Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2013, 08:15:55 AM »

Haha! I'm sold. That does look awesome, and is totally readable.

Overpass
Devlog
A hot air balloon exploration game.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2013, 06:38:58 AM »

Met a really cool animator at London Indies in Jan. Borrowed one of her disney-esk animations to test out a sort of Machinarium style thought bubble approach to communication instead of the previous updates text.

What do you think? I reckon it's got loads of potential.

Ant
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2013, 06:45:16 AM »

That's pretty damn sweet that, suits the feel of the game perfectly. Hand Thumbs Up Right
Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2013, 09:49:48 AM »

Yeah dude that looks fucking great. I like that it's huge too, taking up a lot of the screen. Interested to see it done with TrashTV characters.

Overpass
Devlog
A hot air balloon exploration game.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2013, 02:32:31 PM »

Been playing around with one of those world/dimension shifting mechanics for Trash TV. The idea is supposed to be a play on how old analogue TV's could occasionally be tuned to two channels and the level swap is the channel changing.

Usually games revolve solely around a central gimmick and I think I might be the first game to ever feature it in moderation. At the moment I'm thinking the world switch will happen on an interval rather than controlled by the player, almost as if the game is getting bored of itself and trying to find something else to see.

You can see the very early progress here

As always I'd love to know what you all think. Shame about the video quality, dunno why it's come out abit shit.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2013, 04:19:07 PM »

At the moment I'm thinking the world switch will happen on an interval rather than controlled by the player, almost as if the game is getting bored of itself and trying to find something else to see.

Put in this context it sounds like an amazing idea. As long as you do it in moderation it should be fine, so many games use this same mechanic and it feels a bit overplayed now.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2013, 04:43:40 PM »

Yea, I think it's a shame so many games revolve around a mechanic that gets tired by the end. Trash TV introduces guns one at a time and a bunch of puzzles that circulate around it's use. So the player will come in expecting a weapon at the end but finding a whole new mechanic instead that'll tie in with the games end.
Ant
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2013, 12:10:33 AM »

Usually games revolve solely around a central gimmick and I think I might be the first game to ever feature it in moderation.

I do it too for a single level in the game I'm currently working on. Smiley As allen said it's a pretty tired mechanic now so you need to differentiate it a bit. Something you could do is make it so the effect scrolls down from top to bottom so you'd have to time vertical movmement. Or you could add multiple channels of course and hitting some sort of switch changes channel.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2013, 05:21:28 AM »

Regarding text, why not present it like subtitles, like if it was a movie?

Yeah.
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2013, 06:46:17 AM »

Just saw this the first time - man, I really like the style. Especially the whole 4th-wall breaking stuff with having the screen seem as an old TV, using distortions on the explosions and all those other little things that mix the ingame graphics with the fictional approach is really sweet.
I'm kinda unsure however about the whole switching worlds concept.
This would be such a fundamental feature that I can hardly imagine it just growing naturally into the game. Either you embrace the idea and have it really make a difference, or it is just going to feel like something alien to the rest. Depends on what you'r imagined scope with this feature is, really.

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2013, 05:10:22 AM »

Played around with MonoGame frame work today. After a few hours and some help I got Trash TV up and running. I'm not going to play around with the port much more but this should mean Trash TV can ported to Mac and Linux, which was always my plan but now I've tested it's feasible and a rough idea of the hurdles.

Sound, shaders and resolution seem to be the only things that didn't work straigh off the bat. Also I need something to replace the save load system. Reckon it's about a month's work.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic