Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:18:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrash TV - Done! Out 23rd Feb!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Trash TV - Done! Out 23rd Feb!  (Read 48110 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2012, 04:38:43 AM »

IMO the explosion effect looks way too chunky and out of place.  The pixels for it are huge.  Consider making it smoother looking.

I hope to see some of the more advanced puzzles in action.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2012, 08:19:40 AM »

The timer above the explosives is great, keep it.  This is a game about a gun-toting television with legs, I see no break in continuity if it has the power to know when a bomb will detonate down to a tenth of a second.  The explosions look like something from an Amiga demo, and not many things are as legit as Amiga demos.

Is the user going to have any control over the zoom?  It looks good.

Trash TV has lots of little things that break the status quo for platformers, and I think you should use that to the utmost.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2012, 08:36:02 AM »

The explosions look like something from an Amiga demo, and not many things are as legit as Amiga demos.

I wasn't commenting on how "Legit" it is, it doesn't fit with the rest of the game's art.  Similar to how the bouncing explosives box looks out of place.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2012, 08:56:59 AM »

I wasn't trying to pull down your comments.  I just think the explosion is cool...  because it is cool.  Also it resembles old hardware special effects used in television from the days of genlock encoders and betamax editing decks.

Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2012, 09:46:09 AM »

Think I agree about the numbers not particularly fitting. As St33d says there's no other text in the game and you've done a rad job communicating stuff without it. Some kind of flashing, maybe even a sort of halo that shrinks as the timer counts down? I can definitely sort something sonically that helps too.

Overpass
Devlog
A hot air balloon exploration game.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2012, 09:54:10 AM »

There's damage text in the game and when you acquire a new gun. I'll keep it in mind though and have a play around with other cues in the next few days. The explosives also pulse a little every 0.5 seconds, counting in the explosion on the 5th pulse.

Here's a video that shows the damage text and a cool slow mo effect that I might not use.

I've been playing around with putting automatic slow down triggers in difficult platforming areas for easy mode, but I'm not sure if it quite fits yet.

I tested the level loading on xbox and the frame rate dies for a few seconds while it's loading. I switched it to load in the new art assets 1 or 2 a frame and the static disappears once it's fully loaded. The lights load in last and it's actually pretty cool to see them pop in when the effect is absent, so maybe if it starts fading out right before the end you might catch it.

The fire could be divided into 4 pixel blocks instead of 8, but only on the PC version unless I make the game multi-threaded, but I don't feel confident enough to do that.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »

The fire could be divided into 4 pixel blocks instead of 8, but only on the PC version unless I make the game multi-threaded, but I don't feel confident enough to do that.

Couldn't you blend the existing explosion effect together?  I don't know if that would be any faster than just increasing the resolution of the explosion, though.
Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2012, 01:37:07 AM »

I'd go so far as to say you could drop the damage text too... Without any context for what those numbers mean, ie. A vending machine has x health, they're really just numbers that don't really contribute vital information. It sort of works in RPGs and stuff where it really is all about numbers, but the more I think about it the more I think you could ditch it.

Maybe if cogs and springs flew out to indicate damage?

What kind of text comes up when you get a new gun? The gun name?

Overpass
Devlog
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2012, 02:02:19 AM »

Yea, just the gun name. I like the spring and cog idea.
st33d
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2012, 04:18:48 AM »

I'd advise against debris indicating damage. Damage is usually communicated by the size of the bullets - Cave Story or R-Type for example.
Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2012, 04:59:33 AM »

Surely the key thing is simply to indicate that damage is being done. There's untold games, Metal Slug for instance, where this is indicated via the sprite just flashing. How important is it to indicate how much damage is being done when the foes are despatched relatively quickly? Something like debris flying out of the enemy as he's hit at least makes sense diegetically.

Overpass
Devlog
st33d
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2012, 09:01:12 AM »

Which means creating exotic weapons. I don't think it's filler to have degrees of a weapon. It lets the player explore a single mechanic more.
Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2012, 09:19:15 AM »

Not sure we're on the same page St33d, exotic weapons?

Overpass
Devlog
st33d
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2012, 12:56:59 PM »

Someone deleted their post. They suggested one hit kill.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2012, 02:44:10 PM »

I've been a bit quiet lately, busy with a hundred birthday celebrations including my own but I've got a little trailer of what I've been working on.

I feel the field effect needs to look more violent, but I'm nearly happy with it.

Next week I'll be working on weapon select. Currently each gun replaces the previous, with no way to switch back. Now I'm think a weapon select could just add that extra level of depth, having puzzle requiring a switch.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2012, 04:04:50 PM »

That effect is *superb*! It's weird, but it feels like the line is almost sentient. Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2012, 05:39:07 PM »

That field effect is great  Kiss

Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2012, 01:10:39 AM »

Yes!! That is awesome. I think I have the perfect sound for it too..

Overpass
Devlog
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2012, 06:25:01 AM »

It does indeed look cool. What if the closer to the field you got, the more red the overall screen got? Or something like that. I like the idea of the field being sentient. Anyway, nice job!

Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2012, 11:49:18 AM »

It does indeed look cool. What if the closer to the field you got, the more red the overall screen got? Or something like that. I like the idea of the field being sentient. Anyway, nice job!

That's a cool idea actually, with the screen going red. They did that in DinoRun when DOOM is approaching and it worked really nicely there. Maybe the screen becomes more saturated, VHS style.

Overpass
Devlog
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic