Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411429 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:38:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrash TV - Done! Out 23rd Feb!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Trash TV - Done! Out 23rd Feb!  (Read 48450 times)
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2012, 02:49:40 AM »

Put together a little website for the game. Needs a bit of tweaking in areas as I'm totally new to web development. I gave up trying to use blogs and not have them look terrible, grabbed notepad++ and started smashing code together.

www.trashtvgame.com
st33d
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2012, 04:12:39 AM »

You need contact details on there dude. How are press going to get hold of you?
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2012, 05:03:56 AM »

Agreed, contact details and perhaps a link to this dev thread.  Love the header graphic, and the fact that you show the trailer promptly.  As Cliffski says:  "Show me the game!"   Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »

Contact details! How embarrassing that I forgot. Later I'll have screenshots, additional trailers, demo download button, purchase button. Probably appearing in that order as the game gets closer to completion.
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2012, 07:40:03 AM »

Love the atmosphere and art style, gameplay looks really interesting too. Would be awesome if you showed how a typical scene is built/works, the lighting basically- i have no clue how to do stuff like that, but it really brings the scene together!

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2012, 01:09:40 AM »

Love the atmosphere and art style, gameplay looks really interesting too. Would be awesome if you showed how a typical scene is built/works, the lighting basically- i have no clue how to do stuff like that, but it really brings the scene together!

On page 3 you can see a screenshot from inside Ogmo (Free level editor). The lights are really simple actually, in XNA I render everything to a texture without lights, which looks like my old screenshots

Then I render all my lights to a single texture. I simply combine the two, with a custom shader, that multiplies one by the other. So anywhere there isn't a light ends up multiplied by 0 and returning black. I've done this for individual colour channels too so that a red light will make everything red.

I have an update too, cross posted from screenshot saturday

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2012, 07:11:57 AM »

I love the pacing to everything in this game, and the visuals are really impressive too. The only thing that looks out of place (to my eyes anyway), are the explosions. Everything looks so smooth, but the edges of the explosion seems jagged compared to the rest of the stuff. It's a pretty minor point, but what else could possibly be critiqued when the game looks so dang outstanding?! Smiley

Tiago_BinaryPig
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2012, 11:28:49 AM »

That crt tv effect  Kiss

cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2012, 01:47:31 PM »

I actually like that the explosions don't match the rest of the graphics. Keeps the game from looking too smooth, and gives it a slightly edgier feel.

Love the sound effects when the game glitches, the "normal" sfx is good, but not on the same level. Graphical effects are ace. Something bugs me slightly about the main character's design, might be the over-saturated colors or the super meat boy-shape.

Level design looks interesting, which is rare for platformers these days I think. Good job dude Beer!
knotty spine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2012, 07:03:09 PM »

I just watched the chase sequence on youtube, that was pretty tense. I love all the different degrade effects you have going on over top of everything.

Animating something like this >> Outraged << would take hours, maybe even days of work.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2012, 09:30:36 AM »

I know there's a lot of empty space at the top, but I decided against cropping to show just how tall the vertical levels will be. In this one you have to get to the top with a series of C4/Rocket jumps. I'm not 100% sure if this will be in the 'campaign' or as a additional set of challenge maps. Probably a mixture. I don't want Trash TV to become too much platforming, more as a palette cleanser between puzzles.

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2012, 07:15:12 AM »

Made a hub level and have an idea for final game length.

The Hub level is another puzzle in itself and will connect all other levels in loops. Each loop will gain some kind of item required to continue and hopefully mid way there will be some choice in the order of levels. I've completed my first loop in which the player gains the Pistol, the first weapon on the game. This loop is 4 levels long with 17 puzzles. There are 7 (two got axed) guns in the game, so I guess roughly a loop per gun, with 3 to 4 levels each loop. Plus an intro and escape. I'm thinking about 8 - 9 loops in total. After a lot of reading and thinking on the subject of game length, this feels right to me. It's the point where I've explored the concepts a level they deserve.

Here is an image on 4 levels shown next to each other. The red dots indicate a loading screen.

Thoughts?
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2012, 08:08:02 AM »

Seems like a cool way of indicating player progress.  How long would it take to make a circuit of the hub once all the levels are unlocked?

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2012, 08:45:49 AM »

The Hub isn't terribly big, it's about 3 normal levels stacked on top each other. Time to complete is going to vary wildly due to the nature of puzzle games. I'd hope it'd be at least an hour to finish the game, if that's what you meant?
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2012, 08:50:21 AM »

Maybe I'm confused on something.  The hub is used to select levels, which means you need to run around the hub to get to each level's 'portal', correct?

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2012, 09:11:03 AM »

Yes. The time to move around that level shouldn't be too long. A minute tops. It's not going to turn into fez. Thinking of that, I'm tempted to put a QR code on wall that says just that.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2012, 09:16:06 AM »

ZINGER!

I kinda wish more games used non-menu interfaces, like Quake, which was fast enough that it became a bit like a ritual to blitz through as you started a new game. 

octacon100
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »

Is there going to be a hidden nightmare level/mode like quake? That was pretty cool to find the first time.

This year is going to be the year I get a game finished! Athena Hope! <a href="http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25163.0/>
Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »

Might be cool to convert the rest of the menu into a kind of pre-hub, Spelunky style...

Overpass
Devlog
A hot air balloon exploration game.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »

Working on another trailer

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I've shortened this one to 45 seconds, with a kinda optional post 15 seconds. I think it's a pretty neat idea, to cater two the different attention spans a little and reward those of us without ADHD.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic