Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:38:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessAre strategy games dead?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Are strategy games dead?  (Read 14503 times)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2008, 01:07:42 AM »

Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Diablo 2 is the best strategy game of all time.  Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil

or not  Evil

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
increpare
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2008, 01:34:47 AM »

or not  Evil

Evil
JammingJim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »

(Q1)Should indie game folks be making more strategy games? (Q2)Is an abundance of action games a problem?

A1. Yes, apart from the Civ series(mainly) even in AAA less strat games are getting released to market these days - that means more market share available.

A2. Yes a too crowded market means your product really has to stand out to get noticed. And if this is a typical example of the hit and miss nature of mainstream development:

http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19780

Then we can all learn lessons about competing in saturated markets.

As with most things in life I think it is important to do what you feel enthused about, if you really can't stand strategy games in general then you probably should stick to making action games(or vice versa).

But I think Strat is a great platform for an Indie, a targetable niche. you could look at something like Dominions for an example of a great Indie type effort:

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/DOM3/DOM3_page.html
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 04:18:45 AM »

But I think Strat is a great platform for an Indie, a targetable niche. you could look at something like Dominions for an example of a great Indie type effort:

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/DOM3/DOM3_page.html

And now that you mention it, I think Shrapnel Games is the other strategy-heavy indie publisher I was thinking of.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2008, 07:38:55 AM »

As long as someone, somewhere, is making indie strategy games (like, say, myself) they aren't dead. Tongue

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2008, 11:38:06 AM »

On one hand I regret the deep strategy games that existed in the 90s (civilization, star control, master of orion, etc...) On the other hand , when I play these games I can't help to notice that they really deserve a good helping of casualization, because when the player is glued to his screen for hours without any real opportunity to break the play session, and when 2/3rd of the game is spent looking at the interface and waiting for an animation to finish, there is a problem.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
JammingJim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2008, 12:42:48 AM »

On one hand I regret the deep strategy games that existed in the 90s (civilization, star control, master of orion, etc...)

Do you mean you regret the time spent playing them?

On the other hand , when I play these games I can't help to notice that they really deserve a good helping of casualization, because when the player is glued to his screen for hours without any real opportunity to break the play session,

Civ Revolution is a casual version of that classic game, I've heard mixed things about it in that it seems fine for someone new to the genre on console, but if you have played any of the PC versions it seems very 'shallow' a play experience. And we have had the 'Save Game' feature nearly as long as gaming has exisited, so you can break your play session whenever you want.

..and when 2/3rd of the game is spent looking at the interface and waiting for an animation to finish, there is a problem.
True UI's used to often be quite awful, and it's one of the few area's where gaming has really come along in the last decade or so. It's quite amazing that many of the great classics of gaming got their reputations often despite the poor UI.

Luckily we have a great choice of games to play in the world and pretty much all tastes are catered for. It's just a little sad that the variety seems to be growing smaller, as a non FPS fan(I just played them all from the begining(3D Monster Maze)and find them boring now) my game buying is very limited these days. So I'm very happy when a new strat game comes out.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2008, 04:19:46 AM »

In the good old spirit of immersing strategy games with awful interfaces, you should try Armaggedon Empires.

On one hand I regret the deep strategy games that existed in the 90s (civilization, star control, master of orion, etc...)

Do you mean you regret the time spent playing them?

I regret that there are no games like this done anymore.
And we have had the 'Save Game' feature nearly as long as gaming has exisited, so you can break your play session whenever you want.
That's not really true, if you've played Civ or starcontrol, you know it's very difficult to break away, you feel obliged to go for the next ressource or explore the next area.
IMO game designers should invent some sort of mechanism that would give the player a sense of levelling and provide an opportunity to switch the game off. I don't know how exactly though.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 04:25:32 AM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2008, 06:07:27 AM »

IMO game designers should invent some sort of mechanism that would give the player a sense of levelling and provide an opportunity to switch the game off. I don't know how exactly though.

This is why I prefer tactical RPGs to out-and-out strategy games. Those mechanisms are built-in already by virtue of the way games in the genre are structured.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic