Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:50:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNIGHTMARES & MINES -- it's all over! nothing to see here! nothing. ):
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: NIGHTMARES & MINES -- it's all over! nothing to see here! nothing. ):  (Read 1073 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2011, 04:16:34 PM »

gpc website! bit late.

I needed a place to collect my thoughts. It's here.

1. I started with a game that was going to be like inception pac-man but it turned into a game about exploring darkness with ghosts. How did that happen? :/

I've abandoned it, sadly. I couldn't figure out how to get the ghosts to feel right within my (literally unhealthy) attention span.

let's go. DREAMS & COLLECTIBLES.

collecting dreams?

collecting in dreams?

I want to make a dark shmup, but... that's not very dreams&collectiblesy :/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:20:01 PM by Droqen » Logged

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 06:08:53 PM »

I say combine pac-man and bomberman. You use the torch to project beams of light down the pathways to kill ghosts. There should be tons of collectibles scattered across the level that can either be used as currency or power-ups (flashlights, spotlights, sprint shoes, batteries, fuel, hats, diamonds, explosive light beams.)

Possibly mirrors that you can place throughout the levels to get extreme combos by projecting light at them.

...and just make the ghosts simple and dynamic. Come up with a couple classes to vary the gameplay and spawn them all around the level (ordinary spirits, grave ambush ghouls, long ghosts, fast ghosts, teleporting ghosts, ect.)

- Laxwolf

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 08:17:16 PM »

now hold up

where's the challenge if you just shine at the ghosts to kill 'em o:

right now I am falling into the pit of "shmup with lights". no dreams and no collectibles GREAT ):<

ASTEROIDS EXCEPT YOU SHOOT FLARES TO SPOT ENEMIES AND TREASURES AND IF YOU SHINE A LIGHT ON AN ENEMY IT BECOMES ANGRY
and then something about dreams

and back to the ghosts,

and then back to making music!

ick!

this is  a  really bad devlog. there's no devving and no logging. ):
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:07:17 PM by Droqen » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 02:41:13 AM »

If it makes you feel any better my game is currently titled: "icouldntthinkofagamewithdreamsandcollectablessoimadethisinstead"
laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 09:16:27 AM »

now hold up

where's the challenge if you just shine at the ghosts to kill 'em o:

right now I am falling into the pit of "shmup with lights". no dreams and no collectibles GREAT ):<

ASTEROIDS EXCEPT YOU SHOOT FLARES TO SPOT ENEMIES AND TREASURES AND IF YOU SHINE A LIGHT ON AN ENEMY IT BECOMES ANGRY
and then something about dreams

and back to the ghosts,

and then back to making music!

ick!

this is  a  really bad devlog. there's no devving and no logging. ):

Well, for starters, ghosts can go through walls and you only have so much charge. You have to try to get the best combos and what-not to kill all the ghosts in the level.

At some point, you'll be cornered by a fleet of ghosts with no charge left.

To add deeper meaning to this "arcade shmup," you could possibly make the ghosts drop dreams which flash a Polaroid memory onscreen (of loved ones, happy times, ect.)
* This could play into some sort of story, starting as a treasure hunter turned hero, questing for the soul relic that keeps the nice and worthy from reaching the after life. You could also have truly evil ghosts that could possibly force you into a twisted dreamland after you kill them.

Sorry for throwing ideas at you, haha.

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »

throwing ideas is fine! as long as you don't mind me discarding them as quickly as i discard most of my own

I'd rather not plop the dreams on top superfluously though :p

I'm starting again from the top aaaa

topdown trend continues

~

I'm feeling... healthier today, which is nice. We'll see what happens, I suppose :3
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 11:25:00 AM by Droqen » Logged

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 01:49:18 PM »

reverse them themes.

my current good idea:

You have three hearts whose eradication means death.

The playing field starts filled with complete darkness, and is secretly populated with a fixed number of mines - let's say five or six. Also, a reasonable number of walls.

Enemies of some sort will filter in, slowly at first, and fighting them will require a reasonable amount of movement around the map.

Anyway, there will be no way to know where the mines will be. When you tread in new darkness, there's always the chance of stumbling onto a new mine. On the other hand, explored darkness is dispelled forever.

That's... the idea, anyway! You'll play risky games with probing out into the darkness to reveal new, walkable areas.

Oh, and there might be enemies whose attacks re-darken parts of the field. That seems like a fun idea!

--> OR i might make the playing field a big minesweeper board. That seems more fair :D

DECLARATION OF DEATH ;_; goodbye, gpcv10
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:19:43 PM by Droqen » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic