Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:58:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJunibibi and Kunibibi (player-designed exquisite corpse picnic jumper: PLAYABLE)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Junibibi and Kunibibi (player-designed exquisite corpse picnic jumper: PLAYABLE)  (Read 1742 times)
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2011, 08:21:49 PM »

Hello! I started this in November for the EDITOR pageant at Super Friendship Club. It is a game about climbing to impossible places, planting flowers, and having a picnic with your best friend.

STORY

Kunibibi and Junibibi are modest gods who appreciate the juxtaposition of comfort and the sublime. They read the Romantics a lot and try to arrange nature according to Aristotelian ideals. They live in a world that was full of life once, but something happened. Now they have to build a new world every day. It would be sad, but they keep each other company and invent histories to describe their exploits.

PROMISES

Every day there is (will be) a new world. It is the only world that anyone may play. After setting a high score, a player will get to design the world for tomorrow. If they still have the high score at the end of the day, their world will become the world that everyone can play.

I guess I was inspired by Opniyama and eBay. Right now the following things work:

- Level editor
- Basic game (picnic, flowers, jumping about, dying)
- Online database to store and retrieve worlds
- The silly story page alluded to in the menu

And the following things are yet to be done:

- Introduction and debriefing screen
- Scoring
- World turnover
- Sound
- Music
- A prompt before overwriting the local world
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:32:17 PM by moonmagic » Logged

|
LuizZak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 09:38:32 PM »

Hey, I really like that premisse! I wonder, though, how will you stop a malicious player from creating a level that can't be beaten? I'm thinking maybe only allowing to submit the world after it's beaten by the creator would be a good idea?

Anyway, I'm waiting to see how this turns out!
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 09:58:01 PM »

Interesting concept and like the idea of user having such input.

Look forward to seeing you develop it.

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 03:39:05 AM »

Hey, I really like that premisse! I wonder, though, how will you stop a malicious player from creating a level that can't be beaten? I'm thinking maybe only allowing to submit the world after it's beaten by the creator would be a good idea?

Anyway, I'm waiting to see how this turns out!

Yes, I was worried about this. Right now the game refuses to upload if the player hasn't played the level and set the picnic basket. The other pitfall I need to overcome is if the player doesn't design a level. I plan to have the game generate a level in that case, but that means writing a bunch of Rules.

|
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 07:24:58 AM »

Yes, I was worried about this. Right now the game refuses to upload if the player hasn't played the level and set the picnic basket. The other pitfall I need to overcome is if the player doesn't design a level. I plan to have the game generate a level in that case, but that means writing a bunch of Rules.

What happens when there is a 2-or-more-way tie for high score?

I really like this idea. Not too keen on the GB colours, but everything else Hand Joystick
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 04:20:01 PM »

What happens when there is a 2-or-more-way tie for high score?

I really like this idea. Not too keen on the GB colours, but everything else Hand Joystick

I decided to give primacy to the first score; time, height of picnic, number of flowers, and proximity of flowers to Emblems of Culture (Doric? columns and broken TVs) are all factors, so there shouldn't be too many duplicate scores.

|
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 09:46:15 PM »

You can now score points for planting flowers and placing the picnic basket. I don't think that I'm going to reward the height of the picnic basket, because I want to reinforce players who want to make cavern-style levels (I'm drawing two different "LEVEL COMPLETE" screens: one for a cliff picnic, and one for a cave picnic). The form of the flower is now chosen by proximity to other kinds of blocks; this is purely aesthetic, but I might increase the scoring for lava / spike flowers slightly in the future.

Scores not hooked up to the database yet (right now it only sends and retrieves the level), but everything is all set up to do a comparison between the local and online score.

|
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 04:30:54 PM »

UPDATE:

- Added (empty) briefing / debriefing screens; debriefing screens change depending on whether or not the picnic takes place in a cave.
- Added a story / how to play screen.
- Changed picnic basket placing; picnic basket must be on a tile that has two clear adjacent tiles to be considered valid. So, there need to be three safe tiles in a row to have a picnic.
- Erased a lovely user-submitted level to do some testing; whoever made the super-dense tower climb with the breaking floors at the top, you are a nice person.

Happy holidays:

LATEST BUILD

|
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic