Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:30:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBort
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Bort  (Read 7410 times)
Stinger88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2011, 03:43:25 PM »

Hello. I'd like to introduce our game dev Bort.

Bort is a wall jumping platform game which will initially be created for PC. Release on other platforms is also planned.

The player takes control of Bort, the demon god of mountain goats. He is bored of working in hell and decides to leave. Trouble is "The Boss", doesn't like his minions wandering off. So Bort will have to try and get out undetected. Avoiding traps, lava pits, Fuggers, Furies, the 7 sins, the "machines" and many other horrible nasties that lurk in the deep places of Hell.

Here is the latest concept of the game

Here are some early concepts that explain the goal of the game. "get to the other side" (note: some of the ideas in these concepts have been dropped)

And here is our first prototype!..woohoo! Bort is controlled using a XBox 360 analogue stick. The player pulls the stick in the opposite direction he wishes Bort to jump then releases the stick quickly. This is like a catapult mechanic. We also plan to implement mouse as a control method.

More artwork and game info can be found on our blog here: www.bortblog.blogspot.com

Bort on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bort/115372371912518

Thank you for reading and we look forward to hearing any feedback you have.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:09:15 PM by Stinger88 » Logged

jkd
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »

Very cool. I look forward to seeing how your wall grabbing animation system progresses. The video showing the tech is interesting.
 Wizard
Kapser
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 05:37:37 PM »

Sounds fun. I really love the concept arts.
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 06:15:24 PM »

Great idea, cool pitch and great concept arts. I'm looking forward to seeing MOAR!
Stinger88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 03:08:38 PM »

Thanks guys :D

I've been working on the colour palette. Having a dark character on a dark background is a bit of a headache. So I tried out a blue colour palette that I had done in a previous concept. Also the addition of god rays between the layers helps make Bort visible imo. Here's a level flythrough with some animation added. I need to work out how to add a lava heat haze at some point (in maya or post render, not in engine, not yet anyway) particles maybe??

Also, Bort now has a facebook page, go "like".
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bort/115372371912518

C&C welcome

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:15:38 PM by Stinger88 » Logged

Stinger88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »

Woohoo! got my hands on the Editor for the first time today. I can only create verts and polygons at the moment but its all exciting stuff.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:01:33 AM by Stinger88 » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:32:54 PM »

Any plans to add gameplay elements besides jumping, lava and guards?  I see you mentioned some other stuff, but no descriptions of them ..
Stinger88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:56:40 AM »

There are a few more mechanics planned. We hope that with only a few mechanics we'll be able to add a lot of variety using various puzzle types and unique level design.

Our main Mechanics are wall jumping and cannon balling. Cannon balling is where Bort will roll up into a ball mid jump. With this he can bounce of certain surfaces, break through objects and do other things. There are other things planned but until we get a build running we are keeping it simple.

Also we plan to have a lot of different enemy types which will add gameplay variety.

Limbo is a good example of a game with very few mechanics (walk, jump, interact, drag/push) but the game is very varied due to unique puzzles and level design. Thats what we are aiming for with Bort.

Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 04:11:53 AM »

Holy mother of vulcano caves, that's sick!  Shocked

Gameplay definately looks interesting and fun and you should better have art the same or very similar on that latest concept because that would be really cool.

Keep us updated!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 06:19:16 AM »

I really like games where the player character is physically more complex than just one box or circle. It's visually impressive too. I hope you'll finish it.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 07:13:12 AM »

Dum, the last video looks fantastic, good job and keep going with this Smiley

wzl
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 02:44:41 PM »

That looks fantastic. I'm looking forward to the kind of puzzles you'll come up with!
The proof of concept looks very solid and actually fun to play :D

good work mate

Long pork is people! wzl's burrow
Stinger88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 05:58:36 AM »

Hey. Thanks guys! Glad you like it. :D

Just a little update. Some quick thumbs for the Demon Guards.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 05:59:48 AM »

I like all of them except #9, he looks a little clunky.  Unless that's part of how he works in-game (rock monster?!)
RamSteelwood
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 06:31:44 AM »

My Word!
if it plays half as good as these images look then it should be awesome.
I really like the idea of the sort of catapult jumping system.  It should also work really well when/if you port it to iOS, where i guess the controls could work like angrybirds (just call the game 'angrydemons'!) Wink

Working on an on-line multi-player 'world cup singles' football game for PC.  http://ssgg.uk/tbgtg
I just need people to play it! Sad
wzl
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 06:45:17 AM »

Nice sketches. I like that you can immediately recognise the character of each demon.

Long pork is people! wzl's burrow
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 07:33:47 AM »

That's some very cool movement tech.

I'm also surprised no one has made a license plate joke yet.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 01:59:48 PM »

jump into a big recess, my son is also bort
Stinger88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »

Thanks for the great comments guys. Any crits are also welcome.

@ udderdude: yeah. 9 is a big hefty rock monster. A golem infact. Heres how he works.

@ Ramsteelwood: Angry birds was an influence for the jumping mechanic. Originally i was going to have a power bar and just press and hold down the power and release. This "catapult" mechanic adds much more fluid movement and gives the player more feedback. And as you say, it would make the game perfect for iOS which is what I was originally hoping to get the game at first but PC is our first priority atm.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »

This is looking really nice!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic