Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:08:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignShow us your level design
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Show us your level design  (Read 134247 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »

This is my level design from Treasure of the Abandoned City with diagrams showing what I was going for with the layout.

One of my main goals was the allow the player to see their goals before being able to reach them.

The light blue line is the player's starting path from the starting area to the (locked) city doors.  The dark blue lines lead to buttons which open gates (the black lines) that allow access to more areas.  The orange lines lead to the 6 keys you need to open the city door. The red Xs are the buttons and the Green Xs are the keys.  Note that you can see both buttons and 4 of the keys from the main path (the green and red lines represent those lines of sight).  The other two keys you can see from the path to find one of the keys (bottom left) and one of the buttons (bottom right).  
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:29:55 PM by Alec S. » Logged

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2013, 06:33:38 PM »

The LttP is strong in this one.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »

I hope there's some save points in there somewhere .. WTF
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »

There are about 6 scattered around there (game objects aren't in this image)

The LttP is strong in this one.

Thanks.  I occasionally stare at the LttP worldmap and try to absorb its power.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:29:15 PM by Alec S. » Logged

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »

LttP power only comes to those who believe. You must trust your instincts. Your eyes will deceive you.
GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2013, 06:27:15 AM »

I need C&C on this. I've started filling in the tiles but you can see the sketches in the background (the background overlay fucks up the colours, sorry);

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2013, 06:35:09 AM »

the main char blends too much. his personality doesn't stick out relative to the platforms.

let's compare

GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2013, 06:37:28 AM »

the main char blends too much. his personality doesn't stick out relative to the platforms.

let's compare

Hhm. So far, i've had nothing but compliments for him but I totally see what you mean. I will most likely edit (even if to get it away from a Fez copy-paste)

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2013, 06:39:27 AM »

relativity.

you can change the platforms instead. the strips for example are too distracting.

yes, he is very good. but you wanted C&C right?
GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2013, 06:41:16 AM »

relativity.

you can change the platforms instead. the strips for example are too distracting.

yes, he is very good. but you wanted C&C right?

As I did. I have gotten more positive feedback on the tiles than I have the character, so I think it's a case of changing the character up a bit. so far i've been using the same pallete as the tiles, which may be whats ruining it?

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2013, 06:44:38 AM »

maybe. the platforms are also overstated, or the char is understated.

the char is the star, however you want to emphasize that.

(I would choose a different palette).
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2013, 06:50:20 AM »

Shouldn't that be in mock-ups anyway?  In terms of level design it's .. nothing. D:
GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2013, 06:55:25 AM »

Shouldn't that be in mock-ups anyway?  In terms of level design it's .. nothing. D:

I wanted critique on the level design faded into the picture, ahah. I also posted it in mockups expecting critique for the art.

If it helps; The bunny can jump so his feet are around 1 1/2 - 2 blocks high. The grey bits represent spikes, elongated grey bits represent spikes that thrust forwards. It's meant to be an easy level.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2013, 07:03:44 AM »

o? I misunderstood. I didn't understand the fading.

Clip a video and ask a specific question. It's really hard to critique from a picture alone. That's why I went for the style.
GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2013, 07:05:06 AM »

Theres no playable game yet, just level design practice. Thank you all for your time, though!

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2013, 07:10:04 AM »

What? No, don't bitch out.

Your level design is a level design. I have no idea if it is good. It looks varied and interesting but that's the most I can say. Discuss some of your concerns regarding it and someone can say something. That's what I mean.
GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2013, 07:12:25 AM »

I've no idea what bitching out is, but ok;

I don't know if it'll be interesting enough, will the idea of one of your only obstacles being spikes (aside from the jumping) bore people? I'm not sure if I need to add more pitfalls or harder jumping puzzles. Or, is it fine as is?

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2013, 07:18:16 AM »

I don't know if it'll be interesting enough, will the idea of one of your only obstacles being spikes (aside from the jumping) bore people? I'm not sure if I need to add more pitfalls or harder jumping puzzles. Or, is it fine as is?

Depends on the player .. personally that would make me lose interest very quickly.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2013, 07:18:30 AM »

I've no idea what bitching out is, but ok;

It means you're avoiding discussing what you wanted to discuss because you don't want to be trouble.

Trust me, we are all assholes here.

I like the part in the middle. It reminds me of LPB. Sometimes basic navigation, even if it doesn't threaten to kill you, is interesting. It's also not immediately clear to the player what the correct way to go is, but isn't annoying to figure out.

This piece is fine as it is. What counts is the next piece and how they fit together. You want variety, and you can get it with just the construction elements you already have. You just have to tune it to your tastes and jump mechanics.

If you want something harder just throw it in after and see how it feels.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2013, 07:21:11 AM »

This one looks simple, but it's quite beautiful in the ways you can screw it up, or get all sorts of close calls and still recover. The challenge evolves all the time due to the wolf starting to run once it sees anything edible, so it's about timing your spring placements and the wolf alerts right based on the situation you're in.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic