Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:46:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignShow us your level design
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Show us your level design  (Read 134494 times)
ntdb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 05:34:09 PM »

This is actually two areas that need to be solved together (the camera snaps forward/backwards, think VVVVVV). The mechanic is reflecting the beam of light on the bottom left in 8 directions. The white circles absorb light and produce new beams in the direction of the arrow. Light can pass through glass and be reflected off of mirrors. I removed the shadows to show off the whole area.

This image shows the area solved (there is a beam passing through to the next area) with the shadows on. Note that exploring the area is a necessary use of the mechanic. The light passes back into the first area to allow the player to navigate to the second area and over the pits.

There is a lot I still want to do with this prototype... I should probably make a devlog...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:52:01 AM by ntdb » Logged

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 07:52:20 AM »

all the gears spin, the wood can be climbed by sticking to it

How does the gameplay work?

You control a ball (thats slightly wiggly), you collect goo cubes (little green cubes), some points require you to have collected a minimal amount to proceed.  Basically the goal is to get to the end.  There are checkpoints, no lives and no time limit.  There is a best times score board to try to get on.

There's a free demo if you are interested.

DevLog 
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 12:56:39 PM »

Interesting thread. It's more difficult to instantly take in level design than it is art/music.

Uh, but this is awesome. Level design is awesome. Kiss

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 05:15:19 AM »

On the left, gambling and codebreaking screens. The 5-across slot reels give you 3 chances to win: 1-2-3, 2-3-4, or 3-4-5; and the wheels work one of two ways: a spinner stops on a result for you to get that prize (or penalty), or you pick a color and win if you stop the spinner there by hopping on the appropriate switch.

On the right, piece-together pinball platforming segments.

On the left, vertical-oriented elevator/lift paths to mix-and-match.

On the right, other platforming lift/obstacle pathways. Simply eliminate a set number of segments (5 or so); and have them follow whatever remains intact.

Left: Cluster-together procedural pipemazes.
Right: More simple pathway formations.

Left: Some incomplete pushblock room/formations.
Right: Gravity-inversion level design rooms.

Left: Clusters of blocks where a dozen or so can be removed from various coordinate combos while remaining navigable.
Right: Horizontal-oriented and vertical-oriented pathway puzzles/loops.

Not level design per se, but the initial framework for a flexible action spriteset layout. Flipping/rotating and resequencing can make for the most flexible set of actions in a sprite this simple ever (once I actually have time to digitize it!), and by combining this with various blurs (which incidentally define offensive hitboxes, as opposed to the sprite's defensive ones) would make for quite a powerfully creative combo.

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 06:43:53 AM »

Random old stuff. So very old stuff.

I guess that last one isn't technically a level, more like an overworld.
akai
TIGBaby

Master of Nothing!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 10:47:03 AM »

I'm only beginning on making my own games, but I have designed levels before for the Source Engine.

surf_akai_final & sup3r_f1n4l

http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/13817 & http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/27815

and

surf_akai_two

http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/70609
antybaner
Level 1

also known as antymattar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »

megalonia.

MinskWorks
Level 0

Greg Pryjmachuk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 04:40:28 AM »

Hey everyone,

some great works in this thread, so I thought I'd drop some early work on my new project in to try and get some feedback from you guys.

Currently working on a quake/amnesia inspired first person game with light rouge-like elements. The environment is built from grid sections which can be snapped together to create rapid environment prototyping. This technique also allows the possibility for procedural level design, although how much I think that will benefit the game right now is debatable.

The B&W colour scheme came about as a compromise between time saving and variety. I can colour the environment in Unity by selecting the material colour, which works to create a clear, readable environment with a unique feel. Or at least that's what I think.

Opinions/feedback would be great. The visual style was inspired by Quake's scalable simplicity and M.C. Eschers Relativity lithograph.

Thanks,
Greg

antybaner
Level 1

also known as antymattar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »

Dude.... srsly? Tigsource is not an advertisement forum! Its a flame war containment field. Please don't make this assumption again!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 11:13:57 AM »

Currently working on a quake/amnesia inspired first person game with light rouge-like elements. The environment is built from grid sections which can be snapped together to create rapid environment prototyping. This technique also allows the possibility for procedural level design, although how much I think that will benefit the game right now is debatable.

So it's like tile-maps on a 3d level?  That makes a lot of sense.

MinskWorks
Level 0

Greg Pryjmachuk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 11:42:41 AM »

So it's like tile-maps on a 3d level?  That makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, I'm used to working with .bsp and found myself working a lot slower with blender and paint.net. This method saves me from the heart break of having to constantly reiterate environments within blender (although I'm thinking about widening the pillars, wtf was I thinking that's not structurally sound!).

It's still got a long way to go though, I rushed into it head first missing opportunities for optimisation. This environment currently runs around 8 draw calls for a single room. That's because of all the separate texture sheets and materials I'm using. Hopefully merging all the texture sheets into one and having all objects work off of one single material should drive that right down to a single draw call.

here's an orthographic example of how things 'snap' about:

Dude.... srsly? Tigsource is not an advertisement forum! Its a flame war containment field. Please don't make this assumption again!

Ah right, well... my mistake.

ink.inc
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 11:44:19 AM »

Don't listen to antybaner.

Good work, by the way.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 04:24:33 PM »

I am currently riding a creative flow, making great map after map for TrapThem. Here is one of them (all graphics just placeholders):

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 01:28:40 PM »

seems like a lot of redundant space there. just an observation though, can't tell how it'd play.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 07:10:16 AM »

Not sure I should take your philosophy, level-design is not building optimized compilers. There shall be enough space to breath, dead ends and other concepts of confusion which cloud the solution idea. I could make the same level with half the space but don't you think I have a point here?

Btw. here is another great level, but one fans can spend hours on. You have to keep moving but the variety of ways you could take is enourmous. Now imagine you want to optimize your steps or time then this level alone can keep you busy for a long while, a perfect example of replay-value, don't you think?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 07:26:25 AM »

I love the look of this. Very Super Mario World overworld with great graphic design.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »

Not sure I should take your philosophy, level-design is not building optimized compilers. There shall be enough space to breath, dead ends and other concepts of confusion which cloud the solution idea. I could make the same level with half the space but don't you think I have a point here?

Btw. here is another great level, but one fans can spend hours on. You have to keep moving but the variety of ways you could take is enourmous. Now imagine you want to optimize your steps or time then this level alone can keep you busy for a long while, a perfect example of replay-value, don't you think?

While I'm not saying you should create it in the minimum size possible, I'm just suggesting that the level isn't that aesthetically pleasing (to me). Also, that second level just appears tedious, and again looks empty and repetitive. I could not see myself replaying a level like that to find the optimum solution. Again, just my opinion, for you to use as you see fit. I'm not trying to cast the last word here.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »

There is a huge network of creatures, so it is not empty. Perhaps it is just abstract, but it is a blast to play. It is tedious, but it is the challenge here, you have to keep your concentration for a certain period of time. I think this value should be exploited, so I will add this level.

Perhaps you will value the ästhetics of the first level when you see how the block-physics work. There is mechanism that unlocks the two "doors" to free the thiefs. If your eyes follow the connection from the left door all the way through you will end up with door for the right thief.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:23:54 AM by J-Snake » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2012, 11:21:17 AM »

Match 3 puzzle design

Gravity puzzle platformer design

brettchalupa
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »

Here is my favorite level from a game I made last Summer called Castle Climber.

Basically the crates fall down into the flame area and it creates a way for you to get across. It's fun to watch happen.  Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic