Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:44:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignShow us your level design
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Show us your level design  (Read 134487 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2012, 02:02:18 PM »

One of the levels from Venusian Vengeance with descriptions of the areas.  When designing the levels, I worked them out on paper first, which forced me to be able to describe each section of the level, leading me to make each section unique in some way.  There are some areas I didn't label here to save time, but they are generally playing around with some of the other elements I've introduced earlier in the level/game.

SpaceFish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2012, 11:47:36 AM »

I made a pack of levels for super meat boy called Remnants before the official level editor was out. Check them out in the link below!

Hand Point Right http://supermeatboy.com/forum/index.php/topic,687.0.html

This chapter was actually featured for the xbox version of super meat boy.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:28:25 AM by SpaceFish » Logged
ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2012, 09:39:11 AM »

This topic is awesome, I didn't know it existed.

Just got the basic layout/form of an island to visit in a little exploration game I've been dickin' around with lately. It's a mechanic's house on a floating island, so there will be lots of propellers, shops, a stack of wood, a chimney, and other things added to take up the empty blocks of space and detail it out more.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2012, 11:49:46 AM »

Posted a video where I do a running commentary on the first level of Venusian Vengeance: 

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2012, 09:12:27 AM »

Some level outputs of my basic level chunker prototype, with secret passage generation being the colored lines in the maps. These will cross alternate with flipped concepts (3 entries on the left, one exit/boss on the right) in the final outcome.

What all kind of game(s) can you envision these being?

...which will actually "play out" like this:

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2012, 12:14:56 PM »

Does that thing output images where I think it outputs them?
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2012, 12:57:24 PM »

WTF ?? They're just PrintScreens, resized. The outputs are the level layouts themselves. Each screen-chunk is really 720x480, I just didn't enable views, so as to see what the entire level layouts would turn out like.

It's not as absolutely refined as the one I'd like (which takes this kind of fundamental design, but combines it with some more elaborate stuff like curves and inclines, by creating a custom tilegrid), but it'll get something barebonesy going at least. One could even consider it simplifying some design variables, even.

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2012, 11:57:24 AM »

It's clearly a water flow schematic and you're a daring plumber who has to dive in, fix the pipes and redirect water to critical chambers, while fighting oversized sewer-dwelling crocs and zombie goldfish that got flushed down the drain and are out for revenge!

Gentleman

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
esselfortium
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »

A Doom deathmatch level I handled the visual design for, from SpaceDM9. The layout heavily emphasizes kinetic vertical movement, trick-jumping, and three-dimensional paths. I came up with the holographic cyberpunk theme for the visuals initially as a way of working around limitations of the Doom engine, but it quickly grew into something more than that. Smiley

Need a striking original soundtrack? I'm a composer!
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2012, 08:41:51 PM »

This topic needs more love /)('3')(\

Procedurally generated tower climb:

The character always run, and only turn around when he hits something. I had a similar project a while ago and it only had solid platforms, and it was really hard and I couldn't think of a way to generate levels in a way it wouldn't create impossible levels

This time I thought of 3 things that solved the problem, and also made the game challanging instead of hard.

First are the brown platforms which are 1 way passages (only up) so you always have space above you to jump.
Second, you can hold the jump button for a while to extend your air time, adding a lot more control and precision to your jumps
Third, you have a power meter divided in 3 parts, when at least one is filled you can perform a flight move, which makes you go straight up for a while, going through any obstacle. The bar fills over time and when you collect potions.

Now I've playtested the game tons of times and I noticed I never died from bad platform placement. Most times I could look back and see where I made a mistake, or what I could do to have avoided that death

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2012, 08:52:05 PM »

There really should be another thread for procedural levels, as dumping a bunch of images of levels your generator pumped out isn't nearly as impressive or interesting as a well designed level that was created from scratch and by hand.  Especially if the level is for a puzzle game and has a thought out solution which a proc. generator could never create.

Anyway, here's some levels from my upcoming game Mastery.

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2012, 07:13:01 PM »

Not a very complicated design but it gets the player familiar with the screen wrap.

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2012, 06:51:54 PM »

Hi guys, Udderdude pointed me here and I would love to show you my Metroidvania map design for the first Hasslevania game. This .png is very big so probably the best way to view it would be to save as / to your desktop and do it that way.

And if you want to try the game out, it's free and here: http://dxfgames.com/

Thank you!

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
Friend
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »

insanity

The cake is a pie!!!
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2012, 08:17:19 PM »

This topic needs more love /)('3')(\

Procedurally generated tower climb:

I wouldn't mind seeing a larger level from this game. Are the levels always that thin, or does the tower become more wide?

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2012, 08:42:02 PM »

Showing of some level scripting from Hammerwatch.

, shows a copy of the puzzle sequence used in the

The rules are simple for this one, push 5 buttons, when they are all pressed, the walls on the side comes down and reveals another two buttons. Press them and a secret entrance opens up, that leads to a secret level.

It's a pretty memorable sequence for anyone that remembers quakes SP. I would love to see more people copy that one, it would be fun if it became a "thing" so to speak =)

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2013, 01:54:45 PM »

Not a very complicated design but it gets the player familiar with the screen wrap.

This is the best thing.

Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2013, 01:32:46 PM »

Loving the aesthetic harmony and character design. The player avatar looks like a Diggle. Tongue
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2013, 07:16:44 PM »

Way too awesome not to be quoted.

siskavard
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2013, 11:56:49 AM »

This is the best thing.

I want to play it
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic