Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 12:23:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Creativevimeo game developer group
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: vimeo game developer group  (Read 7528 times)
marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2008, 01:04:26 PM »

If you use vimeo to share the games you are creating ( you should, it's awesome! ) then you might have seen the recent discussion about cracking down on game related videos by vimeo. I believe that game developer video will still be safe, but I think it would help if all the developers using vimeo grouped up to show our solidarity of wanting to continue using this awesome service.

If you are a vimeo user and have videos of your (this is one of the stipulations for vimeo still allowing game videos, if they are entirely your own work) games, then send a request to join the vimeo game developers group!

http://vimeo.com/groups/gamedevelopers  Beer!

marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 02:06:03 PM »

if you are applying to the group and you have no videos or anything on your vimeo account you will need to upload a video or at least contact me and let me know who you are before being added.

sending me a message on vimeo with a link to your website or something would suffice.

That way everyone else in the group can see what everyone else is working on.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:13:07 PM by marshmonkey » Logged

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:33:01 AM »

I've joined! Mostly just out of solidarity for other developers who have videos up there though - this move by vimeo's annoyed me enough that I probably won't use them again.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:57:06 AM »

This is slightly offtopic, but what software do you guys use to record videos for use on Vimeo?
Tatsu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:03:33 PM »

Also slightly off-topic, most game videos I've seen are linked through youtube, and I was thinking of taking this approach for my own. I'm no expert of these types of sites, and just by looking at vimeo I don't see a clear reason to use it over youtube. What about it is appealing to you?
increpare
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 12:07:31 PM »

Vimeo has higher quality vids I think.

Also, I applied to join, for solidarity reasons. (I have my own webserver that I use for videos...I tried uploading something to vimeo a couple of days ago and it was really slow)
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 12:10:30 PM »

Just about everything has higher quality then Youtube.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 02:34:11 PM »

Vimeo supports 720p, and the interface and site itself is just way cooler than youtube.

muku I use Fraps to record game video, it works great.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 03:33:01 AM »

Are you sure they won't delete your stuff?

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 04:58:56 AM »

Are you sure they won't delete your stuff?

Why delete? Shocked According to http://vimeo.com/about, sharing your own videos is exactly what Vimeo is for?
increpare
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 07:20:55 AM »

Why delete? Shocked According to http://vimeo.com/about, sharing your own videos is exactly what Vimeo is for?

hmmm, according to the staff blog, we have

"
The Vimeo staff has decided that we are no longer going to allow gaming videos on Vimeo. Specifically, we are no longer going to allow game walk-throughs, game strategy videos, depictions of player vs player battles, raids, fraps, or any other video gaming videos that simply depict individuals playing a video game. Videos falling into this category will be subject to deletion as of September 1st; new videos of this type will be removed."

Also:

"
1) Are my gaming videos going to be deleted?

Starting today, all new gaming videos are subject to deletion. Videos uploaded before today will be hosted until September 1. "

More clarification, from the comments

"if it is you just playing the game then it would not be allowed. If it is you directly commenting and showing how you created it, then I think it would be acceptable."

So it seems that strict gameplay videos are going to be totally banned from vimeo.  But I think it certainly possible that things might change in that regard.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:39:49 AM by increpare » Logged
marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 08:06:18 AM »

they really have not stated any clear guidelines about what is ok and what is not. Basically a growing number of people started using vimeo to host their gameplay videos, and vimeo decided that was going to hurt whatever cool style they were going for. It is a very slippery slope.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 08:38:27 AM »

vimeo is my favorite player for the simple reason that when it plays, the entire UI disappears. i cant really think of a reason why EVERYBODY wouldnt want to do that.

Tatsu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 09:23:16 AM »

Man, that's so weak. I only even use these video sites for game-related reasons. To see previews of upcoming games, to get an idea on how a game plays without playing it myself, to watch and admire speed runs, and for educational purposes (a coworker didn't know what Q*Bert was).

I'd be interested in joining a club or signing a petition if it's to support any of these reasons. I can't imagine that showing off your own game vs playing something is anything they're interested in differentiating. If they're too worried about their "cool image" to listen then I'm ok with disregarding them completely.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 01:27:15 PM »

What is the best screen capture program for windows?

And do you guys have any tips on how to get the best quality for vimeo?

Thanks!
 Beer!

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 02:12:45 PM »

i joined

anyway, it sounds like they won't delete your game video if it's a trailer and not just you playing it (hopefully).

OmniMuffin
Level 1

To the gallows I say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 05:20:05 AM »

I'm going to go ahead and join. I don't have any videos of my game up yet tho.  I'm under Dylan Robinson
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 10:01:45 AM »

What is the best screen capture program for windows?

CamStudio is the good, free software that I use. There's not many good free ones around.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »

I've joined! Mostly just out of solidarity for other developers who have videos up there though - this move by vimeo's annoyed me enough that I probably won't use them again.

This. I don't plan on using Vimeo again because they deleted my 100 Game Maker Games in 10 Minutes video, so I'll just use YouTube from now on. But I still keep a Vimeo account around just to favorite videos on Vimeo and such.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 10:09:24 AM »

I found that the best video capture program is FRAPS. It's not free, but it's not expensive either, something like $35, and well worth it.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic