Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:21:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIndies beyond the realm of gaming
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indies beyond the realm of gaming  (Read 2430 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2008, 05:28:42 PM »

This is a thread to discuss and applaud those filled with the independent spirit in other mediums or industries than that of video games. I shall begin:

1. Robert Rodriguez
Oh, sure, you probably know him as the guy who did Sin City and Planet Terror. But back when he started he was just a poor Mexican with a handheld camera. Despite this, he made a ridiculously good action movie called El Mariachi, full of blood, violence and awesome stunts, and he made it for just $7,000. He explains all about it in the making-of documentary on the DVD. Some of his cost-saving measures included: Instead of using one of those big crane-cradles for a long panning shot, he used a wheelchair with a rope tied to it; he borrowed all his guns from the local police, except those that were actually water pistols; and he only had two portable lights for the entire film.

2. Makoto Shinkai
He wrote, planned and animated a 90-minute anime movie completely by himself. He did the voice acting for all the male characters, and his wife did the voice acting for all the female ones (This might sound a bit crap but bear in mind that there are really only two characters in the story and a few bit-parts). His mysterious friend known only as 'Tenmon' did all the music.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 03:38:33 AM »

Fuck yeah, Makoto Shinkai. Cool

olücæbelel
postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 04:09:52 AM »

Don't forget We Are The Strange by M dot Strange. Weeeeird stuff, but very cool.

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 04:11:25 AM »

Unfortunately I'm not as knowledgeable about indie music, indie film, etc. as I'd like to be (maybe this thread will help change that?). I have noticed a rise in them in recent years, which is good.

I have a favorite indie documentary-maker (is there a term for one who creates documentaries?) though -- Adam Curtis. His work is fairly famous so he's not unknown, but he does do the majority of the work himself -- the research, the writing, editing, interviews, and narration.

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 05:11:41 AM »

19 year old Zach Condon, from the band Beirut single-handedly recorded his first Beirut album Gulag Orkestar, alone in his room with a variety of instruments such as horns, violins, cello, ukuleles, mandolins, glockenspiels, drums, tambourines, congas, organs, pianos, clarinets and accordions (no guitars on this album!).

The album is awesome, really one of my favorites.

I give you a

with a song from his album, and also the album cover:

God, I love those legs
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 05:26:23 AM »

Ooooohhh, nice thread. Let me post stuff one thing at a time so I don't get overwhelmed.

One great, cerebral low-budget film I enjoyed was Following by Christopher Nolan (they guy who went on to make Memento and The Dark Knight, among others). It has a nice black and white aesthetic that suits it very well. Plot-wise, it's a clever psychological thriller about a writer who follows other people secretly for inspiration; I don't want to say much more in order not to spoil it, besides it's been a while since I watched it. It shares the non-chronological narration with Memento; in fact, if you liked Memento, chances are good you'll like this too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0154506/
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 06:11:19 AM »

This is super-duper cool.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101420/

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 09:30:18 AM »

Salvador Dali is indie.
Considering, though, art is about the opposite of other mediums. People are highly encouraged to be indie when painting. It's a medium which specifically supports originality and "breaking from the norm".

Poetry is sort of similar, but I hate poetry.
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 12:05:01 PM »

The first that comes to mind is Robert Crumb, comic writer, author of Fritz the Cat, to name something. Then there's Sam Raimi, with Evil Dead, one of the best terror movies ever, with almost no budget. And a bunch of bands, mostly Guided by Voices, Yo la Tengo and Jonathan Richman.

increpare
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 03:49:41 PM »

Salvador Dali is indie.
Do most indie peeps turn into Avida Dollars when they get a few bucks in their pockets?

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 07:00:14 PM »

Lemon Demon is one of my favorites, every time I listen to his music I feel happy inside.
I don't like The Ultimate Showdown, though.

Biggerfish
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 07:10:12 PM »

DJ Ninja Love Mistake sequences all his music on a gameboy, uses Audacity for the finishing touches and then distributes it all for free on the internet. Also pokemon.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic