Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:21:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Main Characters
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 64
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Main Characters  (Read 286967 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« on: July 26, 2008, 12:37:58 PM »

Main Characters:
This list is only a starting point; we may decide to add more characters later. Feel free to make character suggestions in this thread.

Xoda Rap (Noitu Love 2): A fast and deadly melee fighter.

Naija (Aquaria): A well-balanced character with a wide variety of attacks.

Turner (Lugaru and Overgrowth): A melee-oriented fighter specialized in counters and grabs.  Wields a staff.

Trilby (Trilby: The Art of Theft and Chzo Quadrilogy): A quick and stealthy fighter capable of flitting about the battlefield.

Lyle (Lyle in Cube Sector): A master of thrown weapons. Can summon cubes for throwing.

Nikujin (Nikujin): A fast, acrobatic character.

Gish (Gish): A small character capable of shifting forms to attack.

Liero (Liero): A small, slow and fragile character. Has some of the most powerful weaponry in the game.

The Golden Knight (Bonesaw: The Game): A heavyweight melee fighter. He can charge up his Bonesaw to temporarily become very powerful.

Iji (Iji): A character with a good mix of ranged weapons and powerful short-ranged kicks and cracking abilities.

Barkley (Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden): A mid-range fighter with powerful b-ball attacks.

Blue Knight (Castle Crashers): A warrior capable of freezing enemies with ice magic.

Spelunker (Spelunky): An adventurer with a wide variety of items and abilities.

Reimu (Touhou): A mobile ranged attacker.

Madotsuki (Yume Nikki): Uses the power of dreams to unleash unexpected attacks.

Other strong possibilities:
Dwarf (Dwarf Fortress), Cabadath (Chzo series), Akuji the Demon, Mia (Eternal Daughter), Kaltos (Spirit Engine 2), Asha (Iji), Ip (The Underside), Guy Balding (Balding's Quest), Gomez (Fez), Tela (Guardian of Paradise), The Dishwasher, Runman, Super Crate Box Guy, Mr. Minecraft

Support Characters
See this thread.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:56:09 PM by Soulliard » Logged

Quetz
Level 0

Eht.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:29:16 AM »

Some ideas that were posted in the original thread and some of my contributions!

Dwarf from Dwarf Fortress
Can turn into different professioned dwarfs (special attack shuffles through them) which all have special stats and attacks. (Stats: speed, damage-dealing, jumping power etc.) So Fisherdwarfs attack with a mid-range fishing rod and Miners have a Melee-pick.

The Ninja from N(+)
Basically very acrobatic, fast etc. but "dead" pretty fast.
Has a Katana and can set mines.

The Ball from Inside a Dark Forest
Can roll and bounce around. Changes its colour randomly from time to time which affects its "bouncyness". Attack is a short, extreme acceleration which can be blocked by simply "attacking it at the same time".
I'd include a "blocking system" like that anyway.

Also, we need Nethack in there. It could be a man with an @ for a head or something. I don't know. Maybe just an ASCII stage.

<big ol' picture of a clonk>

Instead of a dwarf from dwarf fortress, and a nethack character, maybe just a generic roguelike character? He would be large, stylized and animated @, and maybe he could get more powerful as he fights. He'd be relatively weak at first, but he'd be generally well-rounded in ranged and melee combat. He'd randomly be struck by a fey mood which would act like a sort of berserk status, putting him in the control of the AI, but making him more powerful. It could also possibly be a special of his.

As for the specifics of a clonk, he would have an extra helping of health, but be a little slow and clumsy. He would be a mediocre, decent at best melee fighter but could throw powerful medium-ranged flints (instant contact explosives)! His special attack could be super t-flints (bombs explode after 3 seconds, much bigger explosion.)

The list in the design document looks fantastico, except for a few like fez. He doesn't really have any implementable attacks as far as I know. It might be a bit weird to give him anything besides basic punches and kicks (chainsaw attack? Shocked). Not that he's not awesome. Sexy hiker sounds like he would also be awkward to implement with the current control scheme. But the results would certainly be interesting!

Some ideas of my own!

Professor Lemeza (La-Mulana) - uses a whip that has farther reach than most melee weapons. A bit weak in health, but makes up for it with a pretty strong shield, a solid ranged attack (ninja stars), and good agility.

Castle Crasher (?) (Castle Crashers) - Small and sluggish, but tough and powerful in melee!

Destructivator (Destructivator) - Fast with good health. His main mode of attack is his gun which fires annoyingly quick shots horizontally that are impossible to dodge in time, but cause little damage or knockback. Weak melee attack.

I have 0 experience in creating animated sprites, but I'd be happy to give it a shot if need be.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 10:03:46 PM »

Instead of a dwarf from dwarf fortress, and a nethack character, maybe just a generic roguelike character? He would be large, stylized and animated @, and maybe he could get more powerful as he fights. He'd be relatively weak at first, but he'd be generally well-rounded in ranged and melee combat. He'd randomly be struck by a fey mood which would act like a sort of berserk status, putting him in the control of the AI, but making him more powerful. It could also possibly be a special of his.

While I like the idea of an all-around generic RL character, I think placing a player-controlled character under the control of an AI would be completely, totally unfun in this kind of game. It's annoying enough when games do stupid things like control reversal or temporary loss of control - I don't see how being under the influence of a non-player could be perceived in any way as a benefit, regardless of stat boosts. But I do think it would be cool if the @ got more powerful as the fight went on. Like, the more attacks landed and damage taken, the higher the offense and speed gets. Weak at first, but the longer you survive the better your chances become of dominating. One special should be "Zap" or something, that zaps a wand straight forward with a random effect to what it hits (frozen, on fire, petrified, attack/defense/speed boost, create monster, etc.)

Likewise with the aversion to taking things out of the player's hands, should the ball from Within a Deep Forest be included, I think the randomly changing traits would prove quite the nuisance. Maybe the basic special should be to cycle through, maybe 3 or 4 of the most useful and diverse materials. Like, normal, rubber, metal, and one of those other weird ones. (It's been so long since I played the game, I can't remember many materials.)

As for Fez, since so little is known about his abilities, maybe a more roundabout approach to attacking could be taken. Like, he has basic melee capabilities, but his real strength comes from being able to counterattack by bending perspective and  moving out of the plane where the fighting's going on and appearing elsewhere, or something. And chainsaws of course. I imagine he'd be quite fragile but highly mobile, relying on speed and surprise to take down slower opponents.

Also, I totally ditto the desire for a Castle Crasher.

Edit: I mean Gomez.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 08:33:33 AM by Xion » Logged

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 06:40:53 AM »

I think we should wait for Fez to come out before we start work on Gomez.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 12:12:18 PM »

I generic Roguelike "@" is a great idea.  Aside from using various medieval weapons, he could summon a "d" (dog) or eat "%" (food) to regain some health.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 12:49:16 PM »

I think that if the ball from WaDF is included, there needs to be a chance that it turns into the glass ball. Worst. ball type. ever.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 07:33:57 PM »

Sorry for the double post, but I figured there's someone who I think deserves to be here: The golden knight of Bonesaw!
Considering that the game he stars in is a beat-em-up (of sorts), I think it would fit in perfectly. 'Course, we'd need Xerus's permission!  :D
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 07:49:09 PM »

Sorry for the double post, but I figured there's someone who I think deserves to be here: The golden knight of Bonesaw!
Considering that the game he stars in is a beat-em-up (of sorts), I think it would fit in perfectly. 'Course, we'd need Xerus's permission!  :D

PERMISSION GRANTED.
(I have detailed reference art from the game if needed, a 16 x 24 sprite probably isn't that great.)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 11:51:15 PM »

We need a character from one of cactus' games.

One of the dudes from Clean Asia?

The fellow from BDTUW?

Monitor-head?

Perhaps a personification of his many games called "Cactus Himself" or something?

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 12:58:49 AM »

We need a character from one of cactus' games.

One of the dudes from Clean Asia?

The fellow from BDTUW?

Monitor-head?

Perhaps a personification of his many games called "Cactus Himself" or something?

Hm, well... theres Shotgun Ninja, although thats not really detailed.  The dudes from Psycho....platformer with different characters?
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 01:16:38 AM »

I think we should use cactus himself, he's a indie super hero Gentleman
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 01:58:46 AM »

I think we should use cactus himself, he's a indie super hero Gentleman

Cactus could be a summon. When he appears, he creates a new game within 2 seconds and shames you into submission.  Evil

PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 02:56:08 AM »

We could wait for BDTU and use the main character from that.

Also, I am making a thread for DF Dwarf. You are not stopping me.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 06:40:35 PM »

The problem with cactus' characters is that they usually appear in only a single short game, and don't have many (or any) moves. The BDTUW guy would probably be a good choice though. He could bite people with that crazy mouth that comes out of his head, and also use it to hypnotize people, which would work like Jigglypuff's song. And then there may be other moves he could use that we don't know about yet. Perhaps he could produce a beehive and shoot bees from it.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 06:53:43 PM »

So, I've been beginning to think that this game is going to be more ranged based than anything else. Most of the "indie heroes" that would be included here primarily base their character off of ranged attacks.

I don't think this is a bad thing, though. If anything, I think it would be more fun than less to have hectic ranged battles. The stages would just have to be made larger, and the terrain a bit more varied to allow for hiding and defense.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »

I agree. As long as the melee attacks are not rendered useless, having an extensive range game is fine by me.

Mr.moo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 11:58:35 PM »

what program was used to make this game and is being used, i have some interesting ideas for games but no characters from finished ones yet....

DO THE R.O.B!
medieval
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 03:26:52 AM »

I think.. you don't really get the idea, Mr. Moo.
Mr.moo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 03:31:01 AM »

what do you mean..please explain, my top hat commands it Gentleman

DO THE R.O.B!
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 04:36:31 AM »

I don't really get what you're talking about when you talk about characters, Mr. moo. But I can tell you the program we're using is Game Maker 7.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 64
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic