Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:51:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Main Characters
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 64
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Main Characters  (Read 288639 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #1080 on: July 18, 2010, 06:29:46 PM »

How long has that game been in development anyway? 5 years?

I hope it gets completed.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: July 22, 2010, 03:11:36 PM »

Good games take (some)time(s) but anyway I was playing SSB64 the other day and I thinked on a good idea for the Lyle ^S deal: what if the green cubes bounce like Onyx rocks? this way people won't say "I was especting that to stay >=(". instead they'll say "wow they bounce on people until they hit the ground andleave/the floor before leaving. what a detail ^^". Is not a crazy idea, right?

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1082 on: July 22, 2010, 04:32:50 PM »

Why? What is wrong with the way it is now? Why add confusing mechanics that add virtually nothing to the game play?

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: July 22, 2010, 04:36:28 PM »

Because too much blue cubes and no beer green cubes makes Frikman go crazy. The same happens to Naija with her excess of "Beast Form" attacks :/

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1084 on: July 22, 2010, 05:18:31 PM »

If you don't like blue cubes then just summon shadow cubes. Theres a reason you can summon them while moving.

Maybe the down throw should be faster then his ^S, to make them less similar, and to make the down throw have more situations where it's better than the ^S. It's already pretty fast though.

Also, why is this in Main Characters and not Lyle's tread?
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: July 23, 2010, 07:20:30 AM »

I do use the shadow and yellow cube a lot but it seems just stupid the excess of blue cubes. Also you gotta admit the bouncing green cube idea would be very interesting and fun.
Also, why is this in Main Characters and not Lyle's tread?
Who, Me?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1086 on: July 23, 2010, 03:28:44 PM »

When an unworkable suggestion is made, I will always explain my reasoning for why it isn't a good idea. I'm always open to discussions, though, and if a valid counterpoint is made, or if a point is brought up that I hadn't thought of before, I will reevaluate my stance.

However, there's a disturbing trend occurring in this forum, and I think you are especially responsible for this, Frikman (though certainly not alone). Rather than making any rational arguments, or responding to any of my concerns, you simply go "But it'd be really sweet!" And no matter how many times I reiterate my stance, you do not relent.

If you do not have any counterarguments, and you have nothing new to add to the discussion, then let the idea go. You are not going to convince me to change my stance by repeating yourself. In fact, that will only have the opposite effect, and serve to annoy me.

You see, when a number of conversations like this are occurring at once on the forum, there is little room to discuss anything that actually is significant. These time-wasters suck all of the oxygen out of the forum. Rather than actually discussing anything productive, sometimes I feel like I'm babysitting a bunch of fanboys who refuse to admit that any of their ideas wouldn't work for this game.

So please, in the future, if you have nothing to add to the conversation, accept that your idea isn't going to work and leave room for more productive discussion.

shig
« Reply #1087 on: July 23, 2010, 06:15:02 PM »

I'm sorry Frikman, but Soulliard just said exactly what I was thinking.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1088 on: July 23, 2010, 06:26:19 PM »

Every new person to the project does it. They all also insist that we put in quote as if we never put any thought into it before.

And Touhou stages. Smiley
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: July 23, 2010, 06:44:58 PM »

ok i'm sorry. i'll try not to do that again -.-

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: July 23, 2010, 11:39:11 PM »

Rather than making any rational arguments, or responding to any of my concerns, you simply go "But it'd be really sweet!" And no matter how many times I reiterate my stance, you do not relent.

Hey I know that I for one do this a lot and would like to apologize.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1091 on: July 24, 2010, 12:23:08 PM »

You've actually been pretty good in this area. You've generally provided good reasons for your suggestions.

Logabob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: July 24, 2010, 07:25:39 PM »

"Frogatto" was released not long ago. Obviously it's a new release and hence, not very iconic (yet), but it did have some interesting potential material for characters (a hero who's primary attack is to swallow enemies and then spit them at other enemies, as well as already having some neatly defined moves),

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1093 on: July 24, 2010, 07:45:11 PM »

That looks pretty fun. Downloading now.  Smiley

Logabob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 24, 2010, 08:01:36 PM »

It's very pretty, and definitely achieved the goal of emulating classic 90's platformers, although it still needs to be polished.

One key issue I see is that Frog's signature move (swallow/spit) would more or less amount to being very similar to other throw attacks, particularly Lyle. I suppose if designers wanted to take creative liberties they could make it unique but I'm not fond of that idea. None of his other abilities are particularly iconic.

I would consider looking at the main villain/final boss; he would fit the niche of "heavy weight" and has a variety of nicely defined abilities. However, the major issue is that he bears a striking resemblance to a certain celebrity of video game villains... *cough* bowser *cough cough*.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: July 24, 2010, 09:39:25 PM »

Yeah, it's made by a webcomic creator that I particularly love. He has some great art and ideas.

I don't think it's notable enough for a main character, but he would be absolutely fantastic as a support character.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: August 10, 2010, 02:31:02 PM »

hey, maybe this will sound a bit stupid because Liero fills the role of this kind of character but, how about having a Tee from "Teeworlds" as a main character? of course, he would be a bit like liero but he would be more focused on the melee part instead of the range one. i imagine the movelist like this:
-A (Hammer): basically he hits you with his hammer.
->A (Lazor): a fast projectile that goes forward. low knockback with high damage.
-vA (Gun rush): Tee jumps forward and aims 2 guns diagonally down and shoot like a gangsta (something like this http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9903/teeexgunrush.png. ok i do suck at drawing)
-^A (Katana): mid damage mida knockback. it throws players diagonally up. (an alternative to this tech, graphicaly talking about, can be a flag hit)
-S (Grenade Launcher): Tee shoots his grenade launcher. the grenades bounces on the floor 3 times and then explode (unless they hit someone firts)
->S (Katana rush): Tee charges 1 second and then he rushes forward with his katana hiting everything and everyone on the way (it's very long ranged so if you use it on an edge you can risk to die).
-vS (Shotgun): if it's done on the floor he shoots his shotgun forward and if it's done on the air is shooted directly downwards.
-^S (Hook): works just like a normal grapple hook :/

so that's basically my idea.  Hand Thumbs Up Left or  Hand Thumbs Down Right?

Logabob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: August 14, 2010, 03:35:56 PM »

I agree that the Tee is too redundant with Liero, and at any rate is not a very interesting character.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: August 18, 2010, 01:01:16 PM »

well since i haven't posted too many useful things on this days (and mainly because i had time and i was kinda bored) i did this:

the actual alternative palete system was freaking me out when me and other friends choosed the same character (mostly because the alternative palletes are too similar to the original ones). i dunno if something like this was on the "to do" list but i already mentioned that i had some free time (and was kinda bored). now some of the palletes turned out a bit bad (most of the red palletes did), but some others are kinda cool (like green spelunker, green naija and red turner) but i want your opinion, people. with nothing more to say  Gentleman

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: August 18, 2010, 03:44:12 PM »

there is no excuse for not having a version of trilby with a white vest, hat and tie and a black shirt

none

Lo
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 64
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic