Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:52:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Main Characters
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 64
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Main Characters  (Read 288471 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1140 on: December 03, 2010, 10:09:25 PM »

I've never heard of it before, but it looks like a pretty good game. It's a Japanese Megaman-clone, though, so it's appeal is somewhat limited.

BeholdThyPecs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: December 04, 2010, 07:50:04 PM »

Limited appeal, eh? Okay, I totally understand that.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: December 05, 2010, 07:34:48 PM »

The way I see it, Deep is on the same level of character probability as, say, Nezumiman.
Vincent
Level 0

Novelty Sunglass Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: December 09, 2010, 01:18:14 PM »

I have a charcter suggestion.
? from Canabalt
A speed based character with a good jumping ability.He would have some basic fighting moves such as a punch and kick combo and perhaps he could have bombs fall on his opponents, stunning them and taking a medium amount of hit points (30-50). Also there could be a stage based on the city where he runs.

This is my first post so forgive me if I have done something wrong.
JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1144 on: December 09, 2010, 01:48:01 PM »

Personally I think a Canabalt stage would be better than a Canabalt main character (or maybe even a canabalt support character - where loads of the guys run accross the screen doing minimal damage on contact - like the excitebike guys)

Actually yeah, he'd work as a support character, but not a main character, I don't really think a stage would be that interesting either now that I think about it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 01:54:52 PM by JoeInky » Logged
Vincent
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: December 09, 2010, 01:56:06 PM »

Personally I think a Canabalt stage would be better than a Canabalt main character (or maybe even a canabalt support character - where loads of the guys run accross the screen doing minimal damage on contact - like the excitebike guys)

I think that The Canabalt Guy would fill a space in the game, as there is currently no speed and jumping based characters, like sonic in Super Smash Bros Brawl. Many players enjoyed using him and my proposition is essentially a sonic-like character only with less powerful attacks making the game more fun aswell as competetive.
JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1146 on: December 09, 2010, 02:04:03 PM »

I think, if you wanted a speed based character there would probably be more interesting characters to choose from, the canabalt guy design-wise (in my opinion atleast) isn't very interesting to look at and has no real defining characteristics, he's just a guy really.
Vincent
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: December 09, 2010, 02:15:20 PM »

I think, if you wanted a speed based character there would probably be more interesting characters to choose from, the canabalt guy design-wise (in my opinion atleast) isn't very interesting to look at and has no real defining characteristics, he's just a guy really.

Sorry if come off annoying and needy but I think that even though he is simple, he is also different to the current characters and has a large fanbase. He is from a popular game released on two platforms and will likely draw more fans to this game because of this. I think he would be a beneficial addition to this game because of these reasons.
JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1148 on: December 09, 2010, 02:26:04 PM »

Nah you don't come off as either of those, a forum is for discussion so.

I just feel that although he's popular he doesn't really have enough defining characteristics to be a fully fledged character, but I might be wrong seen as so far we've been the only two to discuss him afaik, might turn out that everyone else thinks he'd be a great idea.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1149 on: December 09, 2010, 02:28:48 PM »

Don't worry about coming off as annoying. As long as you are making well-reasoned arguments (and you are), the discussion can only be beneficial.

Canabalt is a fantastic game. It's great because of its combination of simple yet addicting gameplay and wonderful atmosphere.

It's not because of the main character, who is nameless, generic and has no distinguishing abilities.

So, while I agree that Canabalt could be a great stage or support character, I don't think it would work so well as a main character. Notice that in your suggested movelist, he doesn't have a single move that is based off of his abilities in the source material.

I'm also not sure what you mean about the lack of fast, acrobatic characters. Nikujin, Turner and Xoda all fill that role. What is it about them that you find lacking? I would love to hear your opinion on this, because if "Sonic-players" don't like the options in Indie Brawl, we could try to accommodate them.

Vincent
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: December 09, 2010, 02:36:07 PM »

Nah you don't come off as either of those, a forum is for discussion so.

I just feel that although he's popular he doesn't really have enough defining characteristics to be a fully fledged character, but I might be wrong seen as so far we've been the only two to discuss him afaik, might turn out that everyone else thinks he'd be a great idea.
I agree, I think more opinions are necessary. You do make some good points, he, as a character, is pretty two-dimensional (no pun intended).

In regards to Soulliards post I suggested, that in one attack he could roll out of the way of a falling bomb that may hit another player which is based on source material. I do realise that there are speed based characters but from what has been posted none also boast good jumping ability or a low level of physical ability. while I do think that he (The Canabalt Guy) would be a good addition, I respect your opinion for use as a support character. I also think that a Canabalt-esque stage would be a fun and interesting addition to the game. It would not necessarily be infinitley scrolling but just loop or end (eg. 1-1 and 1-2 in Super Smash Bros. Brawl).
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1151 on: December 09, 2010, 02:39:10 PM »

Nikujin has the best jumps overall, Turner has the best initial jump, and Xoda's recovery can potentially cover any distance in an instant.

Vincent
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: December 09, 2010, 02:40:51 PM »

Nikujin has the best jumps overall, Turner has the best initial jump, and Xoda's recovery can potentially cover any distance in an instant.

I was not aware of this, so I apologise for my haste and hope you will consider a canabalt stage.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: December 09, 2010, 04:25:36 PM »

Personally I think a Canabalt stage would be better than a Canabalt main/support character
I was thinking of the same the other day. Maybe one of these days I'll do a simple draft Smiley

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: December 10, 2010, 05:51:32 AM »

For a cannonbalt stage you could always just have a large building done in its style, and have some obstacles (I forgot what they were exactly  Facepalm) fall from the skies and hit the stage hard. Since I'm assuming there is no moving platform support, I'm guessing it'd be hard to get moving buildings in, but make you could mess with isometric buildings so that when a building passes (Or a gap is coming out) you could make the platform passable, and make it back to normal when another building comes in.
Drawing:

Maybe that makes it more clear

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: December 10, 2010, 12:29:52 PM »

IIRC scrolling stages are supported. Would it be possible to have a scrolling stage that looped on itself so as to appear endless?

If that could be done and the obstacles pseudo-randomised it could make a pretty convincing canabalt stage, providing it doesn't require too much work.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1156 on: December 10, 2010, 03:14:32 PM »

There's moving platform support. It just isn't being utilized.

IIRC, the last time a Canabalt stage was discussed, the main concern was being able to capture the feeling of speed without making the stage move too fast to fight on.

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 10, 2010, 03:22:18 PM »

Ah, that problem likely still stands. I've not played it myself so I don't know how it might be worked around.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: December 10, 2010, 05:36:31 PM »

I was thinking of something more like this

Gray stuff is just decoration. better or worse?

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1159 on: December 10, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »

I think the best way to capture the speed would be the same as how SSBB captures the speed in the F-Zero stages.

We could have the fight take place on one of the ships the flies around in the background. It would fly just above the buildings, so falling characters would get flung sideways when hitting the ground, but could still survive if quick. (like in Big Blue)

Occasional hazards could be:
There are several Warning marks along the top of the screen, then the ship smashes though a window in the side of the building, which would kill anyone up there that got hit by the building. (Maybe just spiked for balance sake?) After a couple seconds it exits again.

The ship gets shot down be one of those missiles. (Friendly fire?) A warning appears where the missile will hit. After it hits, the ship crashes and the characters land on a now not moving building. After fighting there for a bit, another ship rises up and lifts the characters before blasting off at full speed again.

Ship Screenshot: (This was very hard to get! I'm not gonna try getting a good missile screenshot.)
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 64
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic