Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:07:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Main Characters
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 64
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Main Characters  (Read 287072 times)
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: March 19, 2011, 05:12:42 PM »

I think he would be more suited to an assist.  Shrug

Great sprite at any rate! Smiley
Password
Level 0

Troy and Abed in the Morning~

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 19, 2011, 05:40:55 PM »

......Seriously?
I post in support characters, and someone says he's better as a character...
AND NOW I POST IN CHARACTER AND THEY THINK HE'S BETTER AS A SUPPORT

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1182 on: March 19, 2011, 09:14:15 PM »

Life's silly sometimes. Smiley

That's a great start to a move list, so I think he could definitely be viable as a main character.

The only question is if he is iconic enough. They never give the character any personality (or even a name), and there are plenty of other characters to choose from. On the other hand, the design is pretty unique.

MaloEspada
« Reply #1183 on: March 19, 2011, 10:28:53 PM »

i support scb guy as a main character. his game is very well known and he is always shown in any piece of art relating to the game.

i think he is pretty much the 'main' guy, being jw's mascot (?) and all. also he was the first playable character in the early scb builds.

my only question is: how is a revolver bullet slow, lol
Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 20, 2011, 08:27:32 AM »

Well, how else to you balance it?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1185 on: March 20, 2011, 10:01:11 AM »

The move itself can be slow, but the bullet can still be fast.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: March 20, 2011, 10:23:39 AM »

The only question is if he is iconic enough. They never give the character any personality (or even a name), and there are plenty of other characters to choose from. On the other hand, the design is pretty unique.

I had a clever idea on how to fix this!

We could have a selection of his costumes / alternate characters, and make sprites for each one, and randomize upon entry. Yeah, that'd be... a lot of work, I know, which is why I didn't suggest it. But if we made the sprites simple enough, could work! I think only 5 would be needed, as well.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: March 20, 2011, 02:18:25 PM »

ohhh we REALLY need an alligator character anyways too

Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: March 20, 2011, 03:51:01 PM »

Crate Man is the first one you even have in the game, I believe. You may start with the afro and black(not trying to be racist, but seriously, what is he?) guy, though.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1189 on: March 20, 2011, 04:16:08 PM »

We've decided long ago that anything requiring multiple sprites for everything is way too much work, especially for so little gain. If we use a SCB character, it should be that guy. Crate Man is a good name, too.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: March 20, 2011, 06:50:03 PM »

We've decided long ago that anything requiring multiple sprites for everything is way too much work, especially for so little gain. If we use a SCB character, it should be that guy. Crate Man is a good name, too.

Tis why it's just a suggestion. If we DO get the other ones, then we can just load those in. Besides, I think he has a simple enough body shape to use as a template, correct?
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: March 20, 2011, 06:59:41 PM »

i say we also consider the name Crate Boxer

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1192 on: March 20, 2011, 10:46:51 PM »

He needs the super prefix too.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1193 on: March 21, 2011, 07:49:37 AM »

I was thinking about it this morning, and I came up with a few more ideas for moves.

Katana should be moved to A. A should always be a quick, highly damaging melee attack with low knockback. Shotgun would be moved to >A.

We can get rid of the revolver, since he has plenty of forward-firing projectiles.

^A could be another short-ranged move, the laser rifle. A short energy beam would come out, and he would swing it in a downwards arc (with downwards knockback). Shortly afterwards, a laser would instantly fire out to medium range. In the air, the first hit would be a spike, and on the ground, it would combo into the second hit (which would be a solid mid-ranged attack by itself).

I like double pistols being tied to vA. In the air, they could be angled downwards. (If his recovery move is fired straight-downwards, there's little need for another attack aimed in the same direction)

I don't think the flamethrower is a necessary move, since his other attacks should work fine in the air.

The Disk Gun and Mine are definite inclusions. I see no reason to limit their number, though, and 4 seconds is an absurdly long time to lay a mine.

Machine Gun is an okay move, but I'd replace it with something else for the sake of variety. The grenade launcher is one of the more unique weapons.

I'm not all that happy with the recovery move, but I can't think of anything better.

Here's the result:

A - Katana - Quick slash with average knockback.

>A - Shotgun - Burst of short range bullets. Pushes him slightly backwards.

^A* - Laser - A short energy beam comes out, and he swings it in a downwards arc (with downwards knockback). Shortly afterwards, a laser instantly fires out to medium range. In the air, the first hit is a spike, and on the ground, it combos into the second hit (which is a solid mid-ranged attack by itself).

vA - Double Pistol - Shoots in both directions with a weak projectile. Angled downwards in the air.

S* - Grenade Launcher - Launch a grenade in an arc. It explodes if it hits a character, or bounces if it hits a wall or floor. It explodes after about a second if it doesn't hit anyone. The explosion is large and powerful.

>S - Disk Gun - A fast disk shoots out that can bounce of boundaries and walls. However, can damage himself.

^S* - Bazooka - Shoots a bazooka downwards, launching Crate Man up. The projectile is a powerful explosive.

vS* - Mines - Crate Man plants a mine. After that, anyone except Crate Man that touches it will make it explode.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1194 on: March 21, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »

That sounds good. The only other weapon that would be neat to include would be the minigun. It could be an ^S that he shoots down in a short burst and it lifts him up, since it's knockback is very memorable.

The laser move sounds good. Even though he doesn't swing it in the game, it will still sound familiar, because when you die while shooting it, it flies off into the air, but still shoots at whatever direction it's facing.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1195 on: March 21, 2011, 12:19:11 PM »

There aren't any moves aimed upwards in SCB, so I had to use a few creative liberties.

Good point about the minigun.

Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: March 21, 2011, 02:33:45 PM »

I think you read it wrong.
I meant the mine needs 4 seconds to get ready, not 4 seconds to plant.
Good movelist, too.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1197 on: March 21, 2011, 03:56:51 PM »

I read it right. 4 seconds is absurdly long in a fighting game. That would make it about three times as slow as the slowest moves currently in the game. The attack would never complete.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1198 on: March 21, 2011, 04:14:42 PM »

You still read it wrong.

After being planted, it would take 4 seconds to arm. You can move away and do whatever you want while it is arming.
Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: March 21, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »

Though, to be fair, 4 seconds still seems a bit long.
[sarcasm]HOW ABOUT 6 SECONDS?[sarcasm/]
How about 3 seconds?

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 64
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic