Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:39:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Main Characters
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 64
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Main Characters  (Read 286911 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1200 on: March 21, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »

Ah.

In that case, it doesn't matter too much.

irishladdie727
Level 0

The dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: March 26, 2011, 12:33:45 PM »

Even though I felt that password's sprite was wonderful, it didn't really reflect to me the experience of playing Super Crate Box.  So I made some edits:
Mine:

Vs. Password's:

The changes are almost entirely stylistic, I messed with the shading a bit too and changed his hair color, but I think all in all he looks a lot more badass.  Feel free to make further edits.

As far as names go, "Crate Box Man" is pretty pitiful.  I like "Crate Boxer" and also "Crate Connoisseur".  I've taken to calling him "Woo" because he looks like a hero from a John Woo film.  (The Black Guy is "Weezy" because he looks like Lil' Wayne and the afro guy is "Wha?" because he has no idea what's going on.)  However I don't expect the community at large to be as weird as I am, so my final suggestion is to just remind everyone that he bares a striking resemblance to "Elvis" or could even be called "The King".  There's no reason we couldn't just ask the Vlambeer guys to Christen him too.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: March 26, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »

I like more password version. Btw "Crate Boxer" sounds like an awesome name to me ^^

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1203 on: March 26, 2011, 03:19:48 PM »

The second sprite has much better shading on the body. The shading on the hair is too subtle, though.

Veo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: March 26, 2011, 03:21:53 PM »

I went for a more simple approach and I changed and cut some colors out to make it easier to animate

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1205 on: March 26, 2011, 03:41:03 PM »

@Veo: It's look cool

MaloEspada
« Reply #1206 on: March 26, 2011, 04:19:53 PM »

I went for a more simple approach and I changed and cut some colors out to make it easier to animate

fucking great. i support the usage of this one.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1207 on: March 26, 2011, 05:38:56 PM »

Awesome! It really captures the SCB style.

irishladdie727
Level 0

The dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: March 26, 2011, 06:35:11 PM »

I still think he could look angrier but fantastic job!
Password
Level 0

Troy and Abed in the Morning~

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: March 26, 2011, 08:31:58 PM »

I present to you, my first feeble attempt to beat Veo, by using the power of combination.

Edit: Tweaked the hair and eyes.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:55:45 PM by Password » Logged

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1210 on: March 27, 2011, 04:34:38 AM »

I like him more without mouth, also he's easier to animate with shorter legs, sorry.

Filth
« Reply #1211 on: March 27, 2011, 08:42:40 AM »

I still think he could look angrier but fantastic job!

?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1212 on: March 27, 2011, 08:51:58 AM »

I don't like giving him expressions- happy, angry or otherwise. The character doesn't have expressions in SCB. He just has a derp look on his face. That's part of the charm (and typical of jwaap's style).

Password
Level 0

Troy and Abed in the Morning~

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: March 27, 2011, 09:31:10 AM »

My second weak attempt shortens the legs and removes the mouth, requested by ANtY.

Edit:

I am NOT doing the hair. The hair is hard as CRAP to do.
Someone else do it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:30:42 PM by Password » Logged

Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 29, 2011, 07:46:34 AM »

Here's a small example for the hair. This is pretty much how I animated the Super Crate Box sprites themselves, just bigger.

I think the sprite in general needs a bit more cleaning up for some of the lines. Also, I liked the smaller eyes better, as those fit the style of the actual game more. Legs could also be a bit shorter (or have no feet), to capture the game's style even more.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1215 on: March 29, 2011, 11:46:05 AM »

I still think this is the better sprite. It has more character, better shading and better proportions. It just needs more detail in the hands.

Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 29, 2011, 12:52:44 PM »

I agree. I was just giving Password an example for the hair animation, really.

The feet on that one (on all of them, actually) weird me out though. Might be better if he had stumps like in SCB?
Logabob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: April 01, 2011, 06:06:00 AM »

Robin from Iconoclast

She has a variety of melee and ranged attacks making her a good addition to the cast!

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2011/03/freeware_game_pick_the_iconocl.html

Also, what's the status of this project? It hasn't been updated in a while! (I'd do something but I have no useful skills, unfortunately)
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1218 on: April 02, 2011, 08:28:33 PM »

Robin has a lot of potential, for sure. As a huge Konjak fan, I'd love to see her in Indie Brawl. However, we really can't make a decision until the game is done. At the moment, it's not even certain that it will be completed. Even if it is, it will probably be quite different than it is now. I'm sure Robin will acquire more weapons and abilities, some of which may become more iconic than those she has now.

As for your second question, I just created a topic about it.

irishladdie727
Level 0

The dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: April 05, 2011, 06:59:24 AM »

I've yet to hear a convincing argument as to why Steve? shouldn't be included.  I know it's no time to be piling on characters, but seriously, it's Minecraft...  IT'S MINECRAFT!

Here's a mockup of a sprite, I know he's hella tall right now, but that's because I was trying to give him the exact same proportions he has in Minecraft. It would be very very easy to shorten his legs, arms, and torso a few pixels in order to fit him in with the rest of the cast, but I just wanted wanted to post this sprite as an initial proof of concept. I used minimal shading in order to emphasize the "blocky" look and also to mark the places where he has joints so that the animators have an easier job.

He would be slow and have pitiful jumps, but make up for it with a wide range of unpredictable attacks and a difficult approach. Here's just a few of the numerous possible moves he could have:

A- Steve? whacks away at his opponent first with his fists then whips out his pickaxe for a devastating finisher that sends the opponent straight downward if in the air (like a "spike" in SSB)
>A- Steve? draws his sword and swats at his opponent for minimal knockback but a good amount of damage.  Good for starting combos.
vA- Steve? Throws a random block underneath him (could just be random texture, could have different properties), and leaps off of it just before it smashes into pieces, dealing damage and knockback to those nearby.  Used for recovery.
^A- Steve? lifts a TNT block above his head and can carry it around inactive but cannot attack. Pressing A will drop the TNT where he stands and start its countdown, which is about 5 seconds, giving Steve? a chance to run like hell. Pressing S will make Steve? throw the TNT and it will detonate on impact.  If Steve? is hit while holding the TNT, he'll drop it, it will explode, and both he and his attacker will be caught in the blast.

S- Bow and arrow.  Can be charged an released to increase firing distance but cannot be held down indefinitely or else it will just release automatically.
>S- Steve? places a random block in front of him, obstructing battle and mixing things up.  WILD CARD!  Blocks can be destroyed when hit repeatedly, but different block types can take different amounts of damage.  The strength of the block Steve? puts down depends on how much damage he's accumulated.  The more hurt he is, the better a chance he has of putting down something like obsidian or diamond as opposed to wood or dirt.
vS- Flint and Stone. Steve? lights a fire on the ground in front of him.  This should be exactly like Ness's PK fire.
^S- Lava Bucket.  A very slow attack for when an enemy is standing still right in front of you just asking for it. Steve? lifts a bucket of lava over his head and slowly pours it directly in front of him for massive continuous damage as long as the attack lasts on whoever is unfortunate enough to get caught underneath the bucket.  No knockback, but the damage ought to make up for it.

D-Steve? throws an egg at his opponent.  It doesn't do any damage but they have an egg on their face until they die.

Again, pretty much unlimited potential for movesets here, this is just my attempt at one.  Also, why haven't we been doing taunts? (The egg throw)
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 64
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic