Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411804 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 11:11:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallReview of Indie RPG Frayed Knights
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Review of Indie RPG Frayed Knights  (Read 844 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:47:51 PM »

It has been a while since I posted a review, and I felt bad about the growing backlog of indie RPGs in need of some focused attention, so I took a little time away from development to write this.

It isn’t that the writing is funny (although it frequently is); it’s that the characters are believable and likeable. There is some strong characterization at work here, with relationships consistently revealed (and complicated) through onscreen interaction. Much of the game’s amusement comes from a stable of deliberately silly quests, and your characters’ fourth-wall-breakingly genre savvy commentary on what happens during those quests. Your characters remark on genre tropes, on their own classes and abilities, and sometimes even on the actual player. If your characters all die, they comment on that, too. RPG veterans, in particular, will get a real kick out of the dialog here in a Dead Alewives sort of way.

Frayed Knights works as more than RPG satire, however. It’s a solid, enjoyable first-person dungeon delver in its own right, with loads of quests to undertake as your fledgling adventuring group tries, Rodney Dangerfield-like, to amass some respect.

Full review here. Smiley

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »

Just noticing the screenshots, I think that there is a drastic inconsistency in the art styles. Mostly from 2D to 3D. In a way, the 3D textures look like they were by different artists from some royalty-free image shop.

Prime example:

Notice how the model on the right may still have "high definition" textures, a lot of it looks smudged, especially on the face, while the model on the left seems like it may fit...a little more.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 03:44:05 PM »

In a way, the 3D textures look like they were by different artists from some royalty-free image shop.

That's exactly the case. He talks about this in the Matt Chat interview on YouTube.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic