Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:14:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Tileset project
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Tileset project  (Read 9534 times)
Hamish
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »

Hello folks,

I've started making a free to use, lo-res tileset for roguelikes and whatnot.

I'm working up to to releasing a first draft sprite-sheet and would love to get some feedback.

You can check it out here - http://eight2empire.blogspot.com/ - your comments would be truly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hamish

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:20:31 PM »

Really nice graphics, I like the way you have quite dynamic poses within the 8 x 8 size restriction.

Don't forgot to do some dragons to go with your dungeons!
xrabohrok
Level 0

ahahahaAHAHAHAAHA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 05:53:11 PM »

Dragons, and other monsters too!

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so naturally they save a lot of time.
anonymous
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 02:09:31 AM »

damn sir those are really nice.  what happymonster said.
verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 02:37:54 AM »

great work.

It's all good.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 08:26:40 AM »

These look great. You should make it into a community project to build the ultimate set of lofi roguelike tiles.

Hamish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 02:09:11 PM »

Cheers folks,

Boss monsters are definitely on my to do list, but they might have to wait until I have the basics sorted.

I think I might go the route of giant beasts, things with lots of legs that just wont fit in a single tile. It would be neat to mix things up with giant scorpions and spiders and then some more mythological beasts like Cerberus - Jason and the argonauts style :¬)

I don't really want to make it a community project as I'm enjoying how far I can take it by myself. I appreciate the thought though, your sprites were a big inspiration Oddball.

I'll let people know when the first download is ready, hopefully in a week or so. In the mean time if anyone has any requests (in addition to dragons)give me a shout.

Hamish
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 03:26:03 PM »

You've put a lot of work into this.  I love the variations on creatures and the animated poses for such limited resolution.  Have you considered doing a sci-fi set after this?

Hamish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »

Thanks Scut,

Yeah, I have thought about doing a sci-fi set but I think I'd try a slightly larger size. To depict a nice range of aliens and technology (specifically guns and stuff) you'd need a bit more room to maneuver, maybe I'll try and make an animated set for an alien breed type game.

Fantasy is a special case in that it has so many potent archetypes. All a sprite needs to do is evoke the images people carry around in their heads and blammo, you have a fearsome werewolf/dragon/zombie.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 10:39:42 PM »

These are soooo freaking good. I agree with a lot of the points in your blog too, especially the one about furnishings making the dungeons feel less like empty rooms and more like environments.

Whatever you're making is gonna be terrific. Smiley :thumbsupR:

Mauris
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 10:52:46 PM »

Well I am intrigued. Totally agree with the idea of magic being serious business, I think it adds a lot to atmosphere, rather than just being some easy to use combat device.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, that is just a clever façade.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 11:44:51 PM »

This is awesome!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
I'd love it if you kept a zip file download on your site that kept an updated pack of all your graphics.(if it already exists, sorry for missing it :X)

Gauss Jordan
Level 2

This world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 04:10:25 AM »

That amount of detail and readability in so small sprites Shocked
You must be cheating in some way. Like, using hyperpixels or whatever...

Lefty-concepty, righty-pixley, but bothey programmey.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 05:16:10 AM »

A few years back I was doing sprites for a sci-fi roguelike.  It flipped between being sideview and top-down, but the sprites would have worked for either style.
Looking back at them now I can see how much I've progressed, especially when I look at the tiled map test, but they still have a charm I enjoy, especially the giant page of weapons and gear in monochrome.  Thought you might enjoy taking a look.

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/lunar-proxy-003-scaledx2.png

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/lunar-proxy-weapons-002-scaledx2.png

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/lunar-proxy-roguelike-test-scaledx2.png

Your project has me wanting to rework this set, or make something new in a similar theme.  Smiley

eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 05:20:46 AM »

Glad you posted here Hamish, your tiles are outstanding and people should see them.

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 12:04:58 PM »

looks great. One suggestion for the magic symbols. I realize that they are written in blood now, but when you go to make a tilemap of them. make the base color white, and then any darker areas grey. this will give people more possibilites as they can tint them in engine. and do them as red, blue, green, whatever. even with your blood idea it might be helpful. imagine if you were playing as an orc and you used like a green color to represent their different colored blood.

also see if you can tilt the treasure chests forward a little more so the match up with the furniture perspective and dont forget to add a monster that is a treasure chest. every game needs a good mimic.

One suggestion I used while doing my own small Roguelike sprites, is look into RPG miniatures. they work on a similar small scale and might help you with their use of color and posing.

ilikebananas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 06:24:22 PM »

They are so small yet so detailed... it feels nice to look at them. Good work!  Toast Right Toast Left
xrabohrok
Level 0

ahahahaAHAHAHAAHA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 11:06:20 AM »

Something else to consider: busted furniture.

Keep up the good work!  Wink

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so naturally they save a lot of time.
Hamish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »

Those are some nice graphics Scut,quite a range of styles if your thinking of revamping them. Probably not a surprise that i like the lower resolution stuff better. The guns are particularly satisfying, but i have to say my favourite bit out of it all are the little wire cutters :¬)

Good call on the magic symbols Jason, it would be good if they could be incised on stone and whot not.

I have been thinking about the perspective on the chests - I'm going to try and fix it but If it harms the readability I might leave them be - I have a hard time coming up when i try to introduce doors - do I follow the existing perspective or go with the traditional always face on style.

and yes xrabohrok!, broken furniture is a must have.
Hamish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 03:34:39 PM »

Hello there people!

Version 0.1 of my tileset is now ready to download - just head over to http://eight2empire.blogspot.com/and click the download tab.

It's only the basics at the moment, some level graphics and monsters. Item graphics will come a little later but there should be enough stuff for people to get started with.

I intend to add a load more content to these sprite sheets (as you could guess from the extra space)so your comments and feedback are a real help to steer me in the right direction and keep me pumped.

Merry Christmas folks

Hamish
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic