Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:15:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Naija [DONE]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Naija [DONE]  (Read 55771 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2009, 12:37:12 PM »

Yeah, it looks odd to just see one leg dangling out when you're trying to get as much traction as possible.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2009, 12:42:31 PM »

Yeah, I guess yours does look better.
And I was implying the shading on my sprite's legs, but it does look better now.
So I think that's all of her sprites finished! Hand Shake LeftGrin:handshakeR:
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2009, 12:46:47 PM »

Indeed it is. Unless we shake up her move list a bit, as suggested in the Character Submissions thread.  Big Laff

godsavant
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2009, 12:47:09 PM »

Indeed it is. Unless we shake up her move list a bit, as suggested in the Character Submissions thread.  Big Laff
Big Laff
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »

Yeah I like the new wall jump, just one thing that bothers me a bit is that I think the legs should be switched. If her left leg on top and her right on the bottom I think the flow of the posture would feel more natural.

I actually kind of liked mokesmoe's versiont too - turn it 90 degrees and Najia's break dancing - alright! Wink

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2009, 03:40:52 PM »

When I made mine I thought about having both feet on the wall, but I went with a "I'm so good, I don't need both feet!" kind of pose.
Also, because she lives in the water, I thought she would have kind of slimy/sticky hands/feet, so she could stick to walls.
Like a gecko.

EDIT: thought of a good word to describe it: stylish.
Wall sliding with less limbs earns points for style!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 03:45:25 PM by mokesmoe » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2009, 04:26:43 PM »

Okay, so some people apparently don't like Naija's movelist much. I disagree, but I do see one possible area for improvement. Her upwards beast charge is a little redundant. Since she can only use one recovery move per jump, she always has to choose between her beast charge and whirlpool. So it doesn't see as much use.

I would be willing to replace this move, if there's support for it. A move inspired by her singing, sun form or dual form spring to mind as alternatives. Of course, this would require one additional animation, so we would need to decide whether the change would be worthwhile.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2009, 04:48:55 PM »

I support changing the move.
Upwards beast charge does seem redundant, and more different moves are always more fun.

Off Topic: I made a delicious banana smoothie and I felt like telling people Grin
shig
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2009, 05:51:07 PM »

Okay, so some people apparently don't like Naija's movelist much.

Shrug
Fuzz
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2009, 08:45:43 PM »

Okay, so some people apparently don't like Naija's movelist much. I disagree, but I do see one possible area for improvement. Her upwards beast charge is a little redundant. Since she can only use one recovery move per jump, she always has to choose between her beast charge and whirlpool. So it doesn't see as much use.

I would be willing to replace this move, if there's support for it. A move inspired by her singing, sun form or dual form spring to mind as alternatives. Of course, this would require one additional animation, so we would need to decide whether the change would be worthwhile.
I like upward beast charge, but mostly for when I'm about to die by falling. Embarrassed
A change would probably be good, if anyone has a decent suggestion.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2009, 01:12:40 AM »

I also support the changing of the upward beast charge.

I also think that she needs a different animation for her shielding. I was under the impression that this move was based on her Shield Song (not 100% sure of this - I haven't actually played Aquaria Embarrassed). As the move is now, it doesn't seem to make much sense - why can Naija guard while nobody else can? Whereas if you made the sprite resemble the shield song, then it would be more in-character.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2009, 05:05:17 AM »

I just need to find time to make a shield song particle effect.

shig
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2009, 06:05:45 AM »

By the way is there any way to make her Whirlpool attack look/feel more powerfull?
medieval
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2009, 09:26:25 AM »

I think if the upwards beast charge is removed then the whirlpool should make you go a little higher.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2009, 06:41:56 PM »

Off Topic: I made a delicious banana smoothie and I felt like telling people Grin

Beer!

EDIT: God I'm a spammer. I quite liked how she played, but if she's not changed too much, I guess it could be alright. Though, I always felt Up-Beast Charge vs. Whirlpool lent an air of uncertainty to her. Was nice.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2009, 01:06:39 PM »

I like how she plays, too, so I won't be changing much. But there is undoubtedly some redundancy to having two recovery moves, even if they're both useful for combat, too.

I've been thinking about a few possible replacements:
Sun Burst- Naija charges energy in her hand, then releases it in a small burst of light, centered above and slightly in front of her. It could fill the role of a strong, slow attack, which Naija doesn't really have right now. This is the option I'm leaning towards.

Destructive Song- Naija sings, and the 8 note symbols spin around her in a circle, damaging enemies nearby. This could act as a 'get away from me' type move, although that role is already partially filled by her flipper kick and flipper sweep.

shig
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2009, 01:23:52 PM »

Destructive Song while on ground, Sun burst while mid-air, maybe?
Fuzz
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2009, 04:17:44 PM »

Destructive Song while on ground, Sun burst while mid-air, maybe?
Wouldn't that be kind of awkward?
shig
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2009, 05:14:13 PM »

Yes !  Gentleman

Control-wise at least, it might take a while to get it.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2009, 08:03:52 PM »

I don't see any reason to make two attacks. That's double the animations, and they both serve the same basic effect.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic