Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:41:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Journey Down HD - FINALLY RELEASED!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Journey Down HD - FINALLY RELEASED!  (Read 5707 times)
Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2011, 11:29:39 PM »

THE GAME IS FINALLY RELEASED!

The game is currently available for purchase on Pc, Mac and Linux over at Desura. Read more in last post.

---

Old announcement post:

Hey y'all!

I'm a game developer working at a small independent game company in Sweden named SkyGoblin. We are currently working on our point-n-click adventure game "The Journey Down". Chapter one "Over the Edge" is geared for a Q1 2012 release.

Chapter one already exists as a free-to-play, low-res, no speech, retro-styled type point-n-click adventure, and can be downloaded from the Adeventure Game Studio database here. The original "prototype" version of the game wound up winning a bunch of neat awards, one of them being the AGS game of the year award, so haul your butt over there and give the prototype a spin while you wait for the extended HD release!

The HD version sales pitch:

The Journey Down is a classic point 'n click saga with a black African twist, owing much of its character and pattern design to traditional central African arts such as carvings and masks from the Makonde and Chokwe tribes. Mixed with an all original jazzy reggae soundtrack, feedback-oriented puzzles and tons of hand painted environments, the unique cultural fusion of The Journey Down is bound to draw you in.

In the first part of four, Over the Edge, our hero Bwana and his trusted sidekick Kito struggle to make ends meet at their run-down gas station. One day their lives turn upside down as they're thrown into a twisting plot of corruption, laughs and brainteasing adventure.

Follow the development of The Journey Down on the dev-blog, and check out more screenshots over at the official webpage.

Keep your eyes peeled on the devblog, stuff is moving along nicely!

Plase drop me a ine if you've got any feedback on the free version, or the screen shots of the new version for that matter. Thanks!

-theo
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:26:04 PM by Skygoblin » Logged

Currently developing The Journey Down: Chapter Three
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 12:11:12 AM »

Liking the visuals and the color schemes.

And the adventure game genre in general.

hi
Dragonmaw
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 11:26:07 AM »

Edited title to accurately reflect post, moved to announcements
Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:47:28 PM »

Thanks J.R. Hill for the kind comments and thanks Dragonmaw for the move. Didn't realize I was posting this in the wrong place.

Here's a new screenshot featuring the full main cast if anyone is interested. :D

Kito to the left, Bwana (the main character) in the middle, and Lina to the right.

Please visit the Journey Down website for more screens and info.

Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:35:03 AM »

Time for some good ol' spamming!

We recently wrapped up implementation of all the core puzzles and key interactions of chapter one of The Journey Down and have now moved over to the actual polishing of it all. This phase should by no means be underestimated though, just the sheer size of the task of making bwana move to the correct location, turn to the correct angle, and play the correct animation on every single interaction we've got - is a gigantic one.

In short, we seem to somehow magically still be on schedule and are still geared for a PC and Mac release some time by the end of March.

Here's a pic from inside Bwana's dented old airplane. I've spent the last week working on implementing Lina's different animations into the scripts, and this is one of the scenes I wrapped up yesterday. The actual animation work is done by my colleague Henrik though, I'm just standing in as script-monkey.

I also did some ranting on the dev-blog today about implementing emotion in characters, if you're curious, please check it out here.

Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 07:41:04 AM »

Just updating to say we pretty much wrapped up voice work on our last major character, Matoke, and that this means we're practically finished with ALL voice work for chapter one of The Journey Down. It has been one heck of a project to get all these actors and lines to do what we want them to, but finally this gigantic project is starting to wrap up.

If you're interested in hearing some voice samples from Matoke or any of our other characters for that matter, be sure to have a peek at our dev blog, where every major character in the cast have their own spotlight.

RonaldoMike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:17:50 AM »

OMG that game is BEAUTIFUL   My Word!
Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »

Thanks Ronaldo Mike! Just wait til' you get to see the teaser. Should be out next week or so!

I'm updating to say that we've now started chronicling our development on twitter, so if you're curious about more behind the scene type info such as how we develop stuff, be sure to follow me, @theowaern on twitter.

Above is a pic from a short video Henrik made while working on a short little cinematic for the Journey Down, watch the whole video on his twitter at @Henrik_Englund

If you're more interested in the techy, real nerdy stuff, @skygoblinmarkus is the one you should follow.

Hope to see you on twitter!

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 01:11:05 PM »

HD is looking bloody awesome!

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 01:45:42 PM »

Thanks thatsDanSharman!

It's finally here, the teaser trailer for The Journey Down: Chapter One. Please spam every single person you know with this teaser and help us spread the gospel! We need all the help we can get to be seen in the huge buzz that is the game industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_czCnC1zJI&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Thanks, y'all!

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:04 AM »

Looking really good! I was actually in the middle of playing the old version a while ago (which was great) and decided to not continue when I read that a HD version is coming, so I'm really looking forward to this. Smiley

offset
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 09:19:58 AM »

I do not know why, but I have a character design is disgusting.
Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 12:44:27 AM »

UncleDec: Too bad it's not your cup of tea. Not much I can do about that I'm afraid.

gimblll: Thank you! I hope you will enjoy the HD version once it goes live.  Grin

I'm just updating to say we just started blasting out our preview build to the press, so if you're an author of internet propaganda, be sure to send us an email at info ät skygoblin . com and we'll be sure to hook you up with a copy!

Chapter one is coming to PC and Mac in mid May 2012, with releases on iOS and Android to follow shortly thereafter. Read me rant about our development on @theowaern.

Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 12:03:40 PM »

Finally Chapter One of The Journey Down can be pre-ordered!

I realize the rest of you lot around here are struggling game designers as well, but if any of you should feel like separating with some cash for a good cause, there has never been one as noble as pre-ordering TJD! Think of it as an investement in the future of mankind's cultural Point 'n' click heritage!

Thanks a million.  Grin

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »

This looks, graphically AMAZING! I  just love the style, its so cool Hand Fork Left WTF Hand Knife Right

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 11:24:05 PM »

THE GAME IS FINALLY RELEASED!

The game is currently available for purchase on Pc, Mac and Linux over at Desura, and we are hard at work bringing it to iOS and android asap (aiming for a summer release). Maybe some of these reviews help nudge you in the, err, purchasing direction:

Adventuregamers.com 4/5
Gamezebo.com 4/5
Indie Game Magazine 87%

Anyone else here who builds point 'n' click games? Drop me a line and I'll send you a promo code! Grin Preferrably, let's connect on twitter.

Thanks everyone who encouraged me in this thread, the asspats make a difference!

theweirdn8
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 03:19:47 AM »

What 3d engine did you use for this game?

-The (overly) ambitious open source cross-platform game engine.
Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 05:22:49 AM »

The game is not 3d. It is purely 2d sprites with pre-rendered 3d on them.

The engine is our own technology and is called Gobby. You can read more about Gobby here.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic