Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:27:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRPG with Earthbound/Mario and Luigi-like battle system
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RPG with Earthbound/Mario and Luigi-like battle system  (Read 1170 times)
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2011, 09:39:53 AM »

| Test it out if you want (1.78 MB)

I'm making an RPG! It's going to have a focus on exploration and battling. There will be a storyline (somewhat), but it won't be very detailed, and don't expect much dialogue. I'm also thinking I'm going to try to give the game a pretty creepy and weird atmosphere. (Hopefully my friend will be able to help me with the graphics.)

The battle system is currently a cross between the Mario and Luigi series and Earthbound (although the Earthbound-likeness is pretty much for decoration right now; not sure if I'll keep it that way). I am going to try to make the battle system unusual in some way.

So far I've got the basic framework for the battle system coded, so I think I'll move on to the overworld map soon.

I update more frequently on the Love2D forums, but I only post the source, so you'll need Love2D to run it. You'll also need Love2D if you're on OSX or Linux since I'm not going to bother compiling for anything besides Windows just for early previews.

So if anyone has some cool and unusual ideas they would like the see in an RPG then they are welcome here.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:26:30 PM by tesselode » Logged
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 03:07:01 PM »

Topic Title made me think it was a lame fangame, and I expected to be greeted with poorly ripped sprites when I clicked it. Now that I understand it's an cross between the mechanics of those games with an original concept, my interest is renewed!

I feel like a pretty big part of making this work will be well-animated enemies. A huge part of M&L was the subtle tells of the foes to reveal when and how they will attack. In fact, you could probably get rid of the RPG menu altogether and just turn the thing into a semi-QTE fest and pretty much distill the essence of the M&L combat system into a fun game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic