Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:21:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingInfinite Pew Pew Action
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Infinite Pew Pew Action  (Read 3709 times)
suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2011, 10:52:09 PM »

Controls:
WASD or Arrow keys and Mouse
or
Gamepad (I only tested with an xbox controller) dual stick shooter style

Play it here:
http://www.amethystquarter.com/pewpew/index.html

This is a game I made over a couple of weeks in Unity and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Inspired by games like geometry wars. There are a few things I still want to add like more enemies and better terrain generation.

Everything is procedurally generated and as you can see I kept the objects very simple, I only use a couple of simple textures I made(or maybe just one?), the rest are all standard assets which definitely stopped me getting bogged down in the art and animation side.

The world is an infinite plane and enemies and other objects generate within a close radius of the player.

What are your thoughts on the models? too simple, should I make something a bit nicer for enemies, player etc? Do you think the sounds (generated with sfxr) fit? Any ither comments on gameplay?

Let me know what you think. Smiley

Nuprahtor
Level 3

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 11:57:58 PM »

It was quite fun and very addictive.
I think there is many ways to make it better, like adding special bosses, waves of enemies (different type of enemies, with different speed, color, shape, hp; maybe shooting ones, etc.), also, you could add jumping to player's character and extend "growth" of blocks.

I like the graphic style. Models are just fine, sounds fit perfectly to me. But in order to improve look of your game, you could add some light trails and glowing panels (like in TRON movie), I think it would fit and would look awesome

Thank God For The Rain - a magical neo-noir JRPG - devlog, tumblr
bome99
Level 1

Pipes And Mushrooms

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 08:16:15 AM »

Fun game!

Love the sounds.
Maybe some more scary enemies, and some wild particle effects when you hit them!
And more powerups please, only got frency once.
suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 11:33:36 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll work on more enemies and make the power ups a bit more common Wink

I did have jumping in there before but took it out to make things a little simpler when I changed the way the character controller was working. I may put it back in and add more interesting block patterns to jump around on too.

Hopefully I can also get a high score table in there aswell.

Thanks again for the feedback! Grin

Arowx
Level 2

Arowx.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »

Good game!

I like the popping up blocks and simple block retro style.

Don't like the cross-hairs, big and opaque, you could make it transparent or smaller/thinner.

Found the stepped movement of the character a bit off putting, with regard to the main characters position in the world, shadows could help here or the grid lighting up under the character?

suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 12:10:56 PM »

I had a bit of trouble trying to make the crosshair look decent, I'll put a bit more work into it and see what I can come up with.

Do you mean that the character movement is jittering? I have found this happens sometimes when my computer is under a bit of load like having it open twice while I was debugging. I have used some pretty standard character controller stuff in unity so it should be smooth movement. Anyone else getting this problem?

I also have blob shadows under the character for that position stuff, maybe they aren't obvious enough or can't you see them at all? They are also under the enemies.

Thanks

Arowx
Level 2

Arowx.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 06:00:50 PM »

For the crosshairs just make it transparent and a bit smaller.

No jitter it's the segmented movement that I found disconcerting to being with especially when moving away from the camera into the scene.

Keep up the good work.

suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 07:52:57 PM »

Thanks. Think I got it now, you mean the way the player body pieces trail after the head right?

Can see how it could be off putting when going into the scene.

Beer!

madflame991
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 04:24:12 AM »

+ visually, the game looks appealing; you can never go wrong with cubes

- it definitely need more types of baddies
- it feels a bit sluggish, but that's probably unity's fault
- terrain "generation" shouldn't be so random - that goes for baddie spawning locations too

You should also check "Mutant Storm", it's probably the prettiest game of this type, it has scripted events and lost of baddie types. ...and since you're game features a blocky universe you should check out "Forget me not" too.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 04:58:01 AM »

Hmm, I think I found a "cheat".
I just almost never leave the 'w' key and always go up. So I never get cluttered with platform and difficulty level seem to not increase this way.
Also, it would be nice to have an online score board.

Master of all trades.
suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 05:57:03 PM »

Hmm, I think I found a "cheat".
I just almost never leave the 'w' key and always go up. So I never get cluttered with platform and difficulty level seem to not increase this way.
Also, it would be nice to have an online score board.
you make a very good point about being able to constantly run from the spawned objects. Will see if I can come up with a solution, I have also just added a scoreboard Smiley

- terrain "generation" shouldn't be so random - that goes for baddie spawning locations too
At the moment the random location generation is quite simple. I may try and create some pre-created patterns to spawn swarms of baddies and objects, this may also help with the hold w trick. Thanks for the tips.

You should also check "Mutant Storm", it's probably the prettiest game of this type, it has scripted events and lost of baddie types. ...and since you're game features a blocky universe you should check out "Forget me not" too.

Will check out those games. hopefully more enemies in the next update. I have also made the cursor far less obtrusive.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 06:20:12 PM by suggo » Logged

jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 09:36:29 PM »

It's real fun. It just needs some variation like more enemies.
Loved the power ups and fast-paced blocky action. I did not find the cursor intrusive or the game laggy. Sometimes the enemy spawn points were too close too my character though.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 09:24:54 AM »

good fun - ended up getting killed by an enemy that spawned seemingly on top of me (I was travelling up so perhaps the perspective made it seem that way).

A ramping up of the game as you score higher might be good to try - eg increase fire rate, increase enemy spawn rate, new multi hit enemies etc.

blazingkin
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 07:53:58 PM »

Pretty awesome, since it's in unity and a pretty simple game, I would say it would be awesome on iOs. Additionally, more player types and make them spawn a little bit further away... not on top of you
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »

Woo! Top score 177pts xD
*271pts
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:15:26 AM by kitheif » Logged
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 10:44:42 PM »

I like the newer cross hair.

The graphics are nice.

I wanted to have places to go and things to see though. A Zelda style adventure in this abstract setting could be interesting, though it would be admittedly less "infinite." Doing it procedurally would be tough.

SFX are satisfying (Sounds like they were generated by SFXR?)

Also, not sure if "Action" adds much to your title. I kind of like "Infinite Pew Pew"

suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 02:34:14 AM »

I'm thinking about creating more random terrain that may hang around for limited time, like a sort of temporary arena set up that comes and goes, in different shapes and sizes, adding to it enemy swarm formations that can generate within that.

This is my first attempt at random generation and what I am doing is very primitive, but I think unity is going to be a great help making more advanced formations.

Yes, it is all SFXR sounds Grin

I also really like the idea of discovering new things a lot in games so this would be awesome too. The possibility of always finding something new is fantastic. Thanks for the tips. Now I just need more time to actually get some of these ideas in the game.

suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 12:35:57 AM »

I've finally sorted out a way to do my procedural mazes/terrain obstacles for this game and the world is still infinite Grin.

You can play the updated build at the same location http://amethystquarter.com/pewpew/ the terrain is now a bit more maze-like which makes avoiding enemies more interesting. I think it could use more dead-end passages for more of a challenge. Thoughts on this idea?

I have also added enemies that move at different speeds. I plan on giving some enemies bullets eventually when I have time (the day job is wearing me out a little lately).

Let me know what you think.

jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »

I like the changes you made to the game. The obstacles make it more challenging which I enjoy. However,  I wish the thing I played had health (maybe it could be optional) because it was slightly annoying to die by just touching an enemy after earning many points. Having dead ends would definitely make the game more interesting, I think you should try that. I am glad enemies move faster though it would probably be better if the faster enemies didn't come until one reached a certain number of points to balance the difficulty. Giving some enemy bullets is a good idea.
I'm loving the game overall, can't wait to see how the game turns out!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:45:13 AM by jakomocha » Logged
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »

I liked the randomly popping up obstacles better, the maze makes the whole experience feel much more rigid and the player can abuse it too easily.

You could try making the walls appear and disappear based on the situation, e.g. pop them up to block the player's passage if he keeps going in one direction, or lower them to give the monsters access to the player, or do both to try and "guide" the player in the direction of a group of monsters, etc.

And one more small thing - in the last few seconds of a power-up's timer you could flash the player's color to indicate that it's about to end.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic