Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:07:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: FAQ
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: FAQ  (Read 100609 times)
medieval
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2008, 03:44:03 AM »

Another idea I'd like to put forward is this: Along with the option to turn off items, can we also include an option to turn off stage hazards? I say this because really hardcore Smash player who don't want any kind of interference in their battles can actually only choose between a small handful of the levels in SSBB. Just because they're highly skilled and practised doesn't mean they enjoy playing on Final Destination over and over again. I don't think it would be too hard to create two versions of each stage, the normal one and the 'vanilla' one. With some stages, the hazards might be too deeply ingrained in the stage - in that case, just make it so those stages can't be switched to 'vanilla mode'. But many stages could have this feature: for example in this Aquaria stage that was discussed, all you need to do is take out the monkeys.
I second the vanilla mode, but we can eventually still make our own 'hazardless' stages that don't appear in any indie game, but are just made for the game.

and the monkeys I wouldn't really call hazards, unless they attack you or something. I suggested earlier to enable the player to jump on the monkeys' heads for big air Tongue
Gnarf
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2008, 02:47:43 PM »

You just don't remove monkeys from games. It's like a game design rule.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2008, 06:26:28 PM »

You just don't remove monkeys from games. It's like a game design rule.

That's a design rule for EVERYTHING.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2008, 10:19:27 PM »

Random suggestion: (that may have already been suggested)

Having indie game developers as summons?

It'd be awesome to summon Edmund or Jon Blow to kick ass, for example. Phil Fish could show up and blow smoke all over the level. Heather Kelley would turn into a bunny and have an orgasm. Tommy would play some crazy 80s guitar solo and then rake some leaves.

The possibilities are endless.

Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2008, 01:40:51 AM »

bad idea. you don't see miyamoto popping out of the bushes in super mario do you? and besides, alot of the people who play this game probably don't even know who those people are
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2008, 03:44:58 AM »

I wouldn't call it a bad idea since A) The creators of indie games are as popular as the characters. Most people won't know who they are (characters or developers) anyway. B) It's been done before (TOASTY!). If you don't know what that means, you need to brush up on your game knowledge. 

I don't think the idea would fit in this context tho. I don't think it would feel right as a gameplay element. Cameos in the background could be interesting tho. Like creators standing in their creation's background or something.

My two cents

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2008, 03:58:28 AM »

bad idea. you don't see miyamoto popping out of the bushes in super mario do you?

Gahd, that made me lol so hard. He should pop out of the bushes!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2008, 04:09:01 AM »

Yeah there is not enough fanboyism going on already. What people need is more indie rockstars with 'tude .

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2008, 08:04:27 AM »

UH OH.

medieval
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2008, 11:25:34 AM »

So what about cactus
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »

So what about cactus

Cactus would fire 500000 bananas and then kiss some dude's nose.

falsion
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2008, 08:23:50 PM »

I think Balthios, the "Ultimate Hellbane" (Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden), should be in this.

I would say Barkley himself but that wouldn't work due to him not being an original character and all. Unless you aren't that strict towards that sort of thing that is.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2008, 12:33:26 AM »

I don't think Charles Barkley would care. I mean, he never complained about the original game, did he? And he would be such an awesome character.

falsion
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2008, 06:26:15 AM »

Indeed. In fact, I wouldn't mind Chaos Dunking some chumps myself. Cuz you know what they say, if you can't slam with the best, then go jam with the rest. And Barkley is quite frankly the best.
Corpus
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2008, 10:05:09 AM »

Wait, what's wrong with indie rockstars?

If they are indie rockstars, it is because they possess rocking qualities.

The land of the nerds needs more cool people like that.

EDIT: As for the idea itself, I'm in two minds about summons. On the one hand, they would be awesome for the people who get it. On the other hand, they could dodgy up the flow of the game and prove overly intrusive. I don't know. It's worth discussion, certainly.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:16:09 AM by Corpus » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2008, 06:27:35 PM »

I'm worried about how we would implement summons. If they came out of items like in Brawl, it would add an element of randomness and mean that non-items players like PenguinSeph would never get to see the summons. But if we have players choose their summons before the battle (like in Jump Ultimate Stars) then we lose the 'pick up and play' aspect somewhat. I don't know how else to implement them apart from those two options...

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2008, 06:56:34 PM »

But if we have players choose their summons before the battle (like in Jump Ultimate Stars) then we lose the 'pick up and play' aspect somewhat.
what? what is that? how does that system work?

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2008, 08:23:54 PM »

Oh. Well, in JUS you sort of format a team of characters by sticking tetris block thingies together. A simpler version of that would just be that each player picks a character and then one or more summons. When he has charged up his special bar he can press a button to call out his summon.

The downside of this method is that it adds complexity to the character select screen. Players are no longer able to simply grab a character and go. I'm also not sure how you would choose which summon if you had more than one (in JUS you use the touch screen).

Oh, and if anybody doesn't know, Jump Ultimate Stars = Anime Smash Bros.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2008, 02:11:19 PM »

I'd heard of the game, and that it had a bunch of anime characters, and that it looked just like Smash bros., but beyond that, nothing.

I do like the idea of choosing summons along with the character though...but...

Hmmm.

maybe (optionally) select one assisting summon on character select and, when a player's hp drops so low, they can press all buttons (A, S, G) simultaneously to summon? It'll take up a couple seconds to charge. The low hp thing makes it so that if someone's kicking ass, then it's been skill that's allowing them to kick ass, and should be skill that allows them to continue kicking ass. But for the player whose ass it is being kicked, they'll have a wild card that, while still requiring skill and strategy to use (mistime it and you'll be wide open, only usable while standing on ground, etc.), will be able to turn the tides of the battle.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2008, 02:21:41 PM »

As long as there's the ability to turn it off (much like items), I'm game.  Gentleman

I would of course love to see it, but things should almost always be up to the player to choose.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic