Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:38:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Why Pixel Art?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Why Pixel Art?  (Read 9778 times)
ClockFrog
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:55:04 PM »

Is there a reason why Pixel art is used for 2d games? Why not more rendered sprites that are more "hand drawn" meaning created in a more painter like style with a wider range of colours. I know why its more applicable for limited hardware, where only a small number of colours and pixels could be used to represent a sprite, but im not sure if you're making a game for a modern platform not to use as much "power" as we can. Are there games that use a more painted like sprites?
Angelbait
Level 1

SCARY!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »

Braid would be the first thing that comes to mind for me!

But most of the time I find that pixel-pushers will choose the style of pixel art, and maybe even the limitations of a restricted color palette purely by design. 

Fez is doing an amazing job with its pixel art without the restrictions of lets say a 90's console.

While at the same time Journey is using less color, but 3D graphics. 

Hell, some games rely purely on the texture they put into their graphics.

Hope I helped!

Current: Cows With Guns           BLOG/TWEET/FB
antybaner
Level 1

also known as antymattar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 01:15:52 PM »

exactly. Braid was beautiful.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 01:17:19 PM »

pixel art is easier... I hate retro games

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 01:26:53 PM »

And here we go again.

Lo-fi art is, in my opinion, terrible. There's a difference between pixel art, retro art, and that lo-fi art. Oddball's roguelike sprites is an example of lo-fi. It's too unreadable, blocky, and the such.

Pixel art was pretty much a standard in their times. Funnily enough, it was what could be produced of drawing, painting, and the like for the respective resolutions. Now, that limitation's pretty much dead. Retro art is keeping to a specific ruleset of a console/system. Most people say how something's NES-like when there's five colors, a full-color background, and that stuff. They're wrong.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 01:31:59 PM »

Fuck off with these stupid "Pixel art?" threads.

First of all, most games made here are usually made by 1-2 people.
Generally if one of those two people don't know how to make beautiful vector or non-pixel art.
Chances are they are going to end up using pixel art.

Now my question to you is, what is so wrong with pixel art?
It sounds more to me like you dislike the banality of retro pixels.
With resolutions growing bigger and bigger every year, the power of the individual pixel is decreased.

And because of this resolution increase, us pixel artists now have to adhere to a high resolution style.
Great examples of high resolution pixel art would be Fool or Snake.

This is where pixel art is heading towards; bigger sprites, for the bigger resolutions.
You may not enjoy the rudimentary retro pixel work, but when it's in the hands of a contemporary master watch out.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 01:44:56 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 01:33:47 PM »

If you have a limited resolution, self-imposed or not, pixel art is a nice way to cram a lot of detail into something while still keeping it nice and sharp.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 01:41:13 PM »

Not to mention that pixel art allows for sub-pixel animation.
Which no other form of animation has as far as I can tell.

Which is changing the color of an individual pixel to create a sense of motion.
Or to give it a kind of trail of motion.

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 01:43:08 PM »

Fuck off

Well, I really don't see point in very high-res pixel art. Often it starts to look like 3D-rendering or digital painting. Medium is pushed so much that it loses it's original characteristics. Then it seems to become only showcase of artists technical skills, which has very rarely little to do with good art. What is the point in showcasing it as pixel art?

This is painting. It is lousy painting, and lousy photograph.

Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »

It does not allow anything special. It is born through restrictions.

Angelbait
Level 1

SCARY!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 01:45:51 PM »

Fuck off with these stupid "Pixel art?" threads.

Whoah!  These are glorious!

Current: Cows With Guns           BLOG/TWEET/FB
Kramlack
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 01:52:17 PM »

We literally just had this thread. Fuck off.

EDIT: Damn, someone already beat me to the 'fuck off' part. Oh well.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »

We literally just had this thread. Fuck off.

At least I will type different things than last time.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 01:53:56 PM »

It does not allow anything special. It is born through restrictions.

*cough* Yes it does, I just posted proof of a special effect done only through pixels.

Fuck off

Well, I really don't see point in very high-res pixel art. Often it starts to look like 3D-rendering or digital painting. Medium is pushed so much that it loses it's original characteristics. Then it seems to become only showcase of artists technical skills, which has very rarely little to do with good art. What is the point in showcasing it as pixel art?

What the fuck is your point?
(thanks for quoting me twice, notice how I changed the size of the text font)
Just because you don't see the point of doing it, doesn't mean anyone else can see it from your point of perspective on the issue.
What original characteristic? A pixel is a pixel regardless of how big the sprite it is.
And what the hell do you mean the medium of high resolution has very little to do with "good art"
I guess you wouldn't know what good art was if it smacked you in the face.

I find most 3d rendered art to be ugly in 2d perspective, if your going to make a 3d model make a 3d game.

I also agree with Kramlack, this question is retarded as is this discussion.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:00:25 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 02:02:39 PM »

we like them pixels.  Noir

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »

Yes they did, and I recall an even further extensive 21 page thread from Brocklesocks
Should just combine all three topics, and make it a sticky.

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 02:09:01 PM »

subpixel is native to rendered 2D and digitized pictures.
Pixelartist can go out of theri way to use subpixel in their sprites but it's absolutely not something that is limited only to pixel art, and you can do it with painted sprites if you want to.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ClockFrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 02:09:15 PM »

Just note i do like pixel art, im not a pixel artist so this is the reason i asked. I come from more traditional art forms. I have seen some REALLY good pixel art with great animation, but with the fact that for my skill set now i wanted to know if there is a place for more painted style of sprites. OFC you can't take a super realistic style to impose on a 2d game, since it would make it much harder to distinguish objects.

EDIT: i guess the main reason i made the thread was to see if there is a place in game market for painted like sprites, over pixel sprites.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:15:45 PM by ClockFrog » Logged
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 02:16:49 PM »

Like moi said, subpixel shit is a charactersistic of digital animation in general. It's just more weighty in pixel art 'cause it's not automated. The whole point of it in pixel art is that sometimes you need motion more subtle than a full pixel can convey, but if you're working at larger resolutions the chances that you'll need such a subtle motion are greatly diminished by the fact that what would be subpixel animation on a smaller sprite becomes merely animation on the larger one. It's still there, it's just that you care less about it and it's automated.

But with regards to 1982, high res pixel art looks different from 3d art which looks different from 3d which looks different from claymation which looks different from puppets or 2d cutouts or whatever you may want to use for your visual style. They all look different from one another and give completely different feelings. Why would you make a movie in 3d that you could make with live actors? Why would you make one in 2d that you could make in 3d? Sometimes it's not about practicality. You say that high res pixel art starts to look like 3d or digital painting, but if you were to place the same subject rendered in these three styles side by side the difference would be immediately apparent.

So the answer to "why": because some people want to, for various reasons.

Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 02:30:12 PM »

What original characteristic? A pixel is a pixel regardless of how big the sprite it is.
And what the hell do you mean the medium of high resolution has very little to do with "good art"
I guess you wouldn't know what good art was if it smacked you in the face.

I didn't talk about pixel characteristics, but pixel art characteristics. High or low resolution doesn't define good art, I said that plain technical execution over ideas very rarely provides good art. And to be honest, in case of most high-res pixel art the technical execution is exceptional, but the actual pictures are simply nothing. Again and again the same cliche stuff which we already have seen in other 2D art forms.

From pixeljoint hall of fame.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic